Foxface poop question

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 4-5 inch one spot foxface. He's a voracious eater, and his coloration is great except that he fades a little bit when competing for nori at the clip. However, the last two days I've noticed some stringy poop. I know that white-ish stringy poop (which this is) generally means intestinal parasites of some kind. However, after he passes the strings, he always has a regular poop immediately thereafter. As of now he's still happy and healthy, but I don't want him to deteriorate. I just fed them some NLS pellets and he ate right out of the turkey baster, so if I need to medicate food, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've read a bunch of the forums about treatments, and I'm not sure whether I need general cure or prazipro here. Can anyone advise on which I should be using? I'm not worried about prazi killing worms in the DT because the only ones in there that i know of are a few spionid worms. I could setup a hospital tank for just him, but my tangs and mollies are poop eaters so they probably have whatever he had, so I'm thinking its probably better to treat everyone.

Thanks in advance for any advice and here's a pic of my man!

20201206_155304.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish? There are four basic causes for mucus feces; worms, protozoans, bacteria and plain old mucus. Sometimes, no treatment is needed. In the article section here, about five or six entries down, is an article I posted recently on medicated food.
Jay

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish? There are four basic causes for mucus feces; worms, protozoans, bacteria and plain old mucus. Sometimes, no treatment is needed. In the article section here, about five or six entries down, is an article I posted recently on medicated food.
Jay
I've only had him for a lil over a week. I'll check out the post in your sig.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a good possibility that if you are feeding mysis and brine shrimp, you will see such fecal matter, and not necessarily internal issues

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good possibility that if you are feeding mysis and brine shrimp, you will see such fecal matter, and not necessarily internal issues
My wifes make fun of my fish food menagerie. I rotate LRS reef frenzy, PE mysis, NLS pellets, Omega one pellets with garlic, and ocean nutrition flakes. The first time I noticed the stringy poop was right after LRS reef frenzy, but today there was no frozen food and it was still there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wifes make fun of my fish food menagerie. I rotate LRS reef frenzy, PE mysis, NLS pellets, Omega one pellets with garlic, and ocean nutrition flakes. The first time I noticed the stringy poop was right after LRS reef frenzy, but today there was no frozen food and it was still there.
Yep , the frenzy as you see in package is all white (squid looking) and will do it

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface and was looking around with the same question, concerned as well. I had my foxface for two months now,, initially in QT for three weeks treated with General Cure prophylacticly so I was wondering why he had long poop when I added him to DT. Looks very healthy and all my fish were treated same process in QT. He eats brine, mysis, spirulina and nori.

I think that maybe this is just his poop? ‍♀️

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back