Foxface quarantine

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a bicolor foxface rabbitfish and have it in quarantine. He is pretty badly stressed so giving em a day to chill behind a rock and getting a pvc for him to hide in tomorrow. Question I am wondering is the best method for this QT, I think ttm may be too stressful on it and currently he shows 0 signs of ich or other illness, just a bit banged up from his freakout of getting removed for pickup. (also had lfs hold it for 1 week jic he did show illness) So curious if I can let him chill in QT no copper, cupra, etc, for a few weeks and treat if signs pop up, since seems pointless to stress further when hes already healthy. Also plan to treat his current minor wounds from pickup in that time. Opinions?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation can work. Minimum 1 month. You must be observant to behavioral symptoms like scratching, heavy breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite, in addition to the physical symptoms: spots, dots, marks, infections etc.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation can work. Minimum 1 month. You must be observant to behavioral symptoms like scratching, heavy breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite, in addition to the physical symptoms: spots, dots, marks, infections etc.
Yeah atm hes a bit banged up, couple scratches on his side and mouth has couple raw spots from him running into the glass at the lfs i guess ppl were bothering it constantly

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah atm hes a bit banged up, couple scratches on his side and mouth has couple raw spots from him running into the glass at the lfs i guess ppl were bothering it constantly
Good call on avoiding the meds for now. We don’t want his immune system weakened which can make him susceptible to bacterial infections.

Feed him extra a few times a day. Keep water clean. At least until you know you’re clear from infections.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on avoiding the meds for now. We don’t want his immune system weakened which can make him susceptible to bacterial infections.

Feed him extra a few times a day. Keep water clean. At least until you know you’re clear from infections.
Yeah I needed to do the water change today but was stuck out of town and didnt want it to sit in that lfs bag so ill need to do that tomorrow

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep an eye for black ich: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-ich-turbellarians.259912/

I’ve found foxfaces in particular are susceptible to them. Fortunately it’s easily treated with Prazipro (praziquantel active ingredient).
Seeing that he may have onset of HLLE but its hard to tell tonight since he is the bicolor fox, hopefully once he relaxes and gets full color i can see whats up. From the moment I got em he was the usual stressed fox dark black

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If he is that banged up from LFS why buy it?? I'm sorry but I would return it and look for a healthy one. You are already starting with a wounded fish that would be subject to an infection.

I don't mean to discourage you here but just my opinion

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is that banged up from LFS why buy it?? I'm sorry but I would return it and look for a healthy one. You are already starting with a wounded fish that would be subject to an infection.

I don't mean to discourage you here but just my opinion
Unfortunately the closest is a couple hrs away and he was a special order, waited 3 months for this fish sadly @.@

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Unfortunately the closest is a couple hrs away and he was a special order, waited 3 months for this fish sadly @.@
I hear you man!! I would try to bring him back to a healthy state gradually if that is the case. Stress colors ( camouflage) is normal in the beginning. Try to feed him a little tomorrow and see if has an appetite.
I would just observe for 2 weeks and see of any bad signs. If not then I would still treat with copper for the following 2 weeks!!

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good established bio media then feed many different foods and get it bulked up fat and happy. Once he’s out of the Freak out stage and eating consider copper dosing and deworming. Or you can observe but that’s your call

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good established bio media then feed many different foods and get it bulked up fat and happy. Once he’s out of the Freak out stage and eating consider copper dosing and deworming. Or you can observe but that’s your call
Yeah I have 2 large sponges from my established tank in there. Gonna try an algae clip with some algae soaked with selcon

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you intend to keep him in quarantine for a while, why not use copper power or copper safe? I assume your believe the risk is to great. Check out the stickies to see what those with years of experience say.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back