Foxface Rabbitfish developed this overnight. I’m thinking either ich or flukes but i

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very similar to ich but I’ve never seen it with these (ulcers?)
4FA8562E-ED9E-46A7-9027-BE8FA849FD6B.jpeg
33141659-FDFE-4DEB-A5FA-7CDD595A3F7B.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It honestly looks like stings from a torch, hammer or an anemone. Do you have anything like that in the tank? My foxface had similar and it cleared up after a few days.
I could be wrong of course but it’s just a thought.

Oh and welcome to the forum, to bad this is your first posting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The dots are what looks like lymphocystis
This is more viral and associated with water quality
You could give it formalin baths but more important are tank conditions
What is your ammonia- nitrate-ph-salinity and water temperature?
What are you feeding?
If you’re not already, add selcon vitamins to the foods 3-4x a week and garlic extract in alternating days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is too large to be ich. The dark rings around the white spots are granulomas, the fish trying to wall off an infection.
We need more information about the fish and tank so that we aren’t just guessing. Take a look at the link below my name in this post, or the second message down n the sticky section above. Try to answer the additional info that asks for.
Thanks,
Jay

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dots are what looks like lymphocystis
This is more viral and associated with water quality
You could give it formalin baths but more important are tank conditions
What is your ammonia- nitrate-ph-salinity and water temperature?
What are you feeding?
If you’re not already, add selcon vitamins to the foods 3-4x a week and garlic extract in alternating days
My clowns have had lympho (which from my understanding never really goes away and just goes dormant?) and this also popped up around the same time as a nitrate spike.

my ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate down to 5-10 after a spike of 30.

the only thing is that, if it is lympho and related to water quality, wouldn’t I see it acting up in my clowns as well?

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is too large to be ich. The dark rings around the white spots are granulomas, the fish trying to wall off an infection.
We need more information about the fish and tank so that we aren’t just guessing. Take a look at the link below my name in this post, or the second message down n the sticky section above. Try to answer the additional info that asks for.
Thanks,
Jay
It’s a 75 gallon reef . I picked up the fish as a rescue back in September so I don’t know much about prior health if that helps.

Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates are down to 5-10 after a spike last week.
Phosphates: 0

I feed strips of dried seaweed that I soak in vitachem. I did run out of that a couple weeks ago though and I haven’t been able to find more. Could it be related to a vitamin deficiency?

The foxface’s breathing is normal and so are the eating habits. Behavior seems normal but I’ve known these fish to be very quirky and it’s hard for me to narrow down “normal” foxface behavior. She is active though and coloration is normal. I haven’t seen any physical effects other than what’s in the photo.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 75 gallon reef . I picked up the fish as a rescue back in September so I don’t know much about prior health if that helps.

Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates are down to 5-10 after a spike last week.
Phosphates: 0

I feed strips of dried seaweed that I soak in vitachem. I did run out of that a couple weeks ago though and I haven’t been able to find more. Could it be related to a vitamin deficiency?

The foxface’s breathing is normal and so are the eating habits. Behavior seems normal but I’ve known these fish to be very quirky and it’s hard for me to narrow down “normal” foxface behavior. She is active though and coloration is normal. I haven’t seen any physical effects other than what’s in the photo.
I can tell you that it isn’t related to your mild nitrate spike, or lack of vitamins. It most likely isn’t Lymphocystis, as that looks mor granular, and tends to grow on the trailing edges of the fins. I’m still thinking a walled off infection of some sort. How long has the fish had the spots? How fast did they develop?
Jay

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that it isn’t related to your mild nitrate spike, or lack of vitamins. It most likely isn’t Lymphocystis, as that looks mor granular, and tends to grow on the trailing edges of the fins. I’m still thinking a walled off infection of some sort. How long has the fish had the spots? How fast did they develop?
Jay
They popped up overnight. This morning, it seems to have cleared up a little. I’m leaning away from ich but this does fit in with its lifecycle, right? Infecting fish at night with freeswimmers and then dropping off to reproduce?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Granular is good description As Jay mentioned, this type of infection appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills, although other tissues may be affected. These Lymphocystis nodules are clustered groups of greatly enlarged, infected cells known as fibroblasts.
The good news is this virus is unique and is fairly easy to identify, and death from the virus itself is fairly rare. When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins.
On my question about feeding, I was more gearing towards adding selcon vitamin and garlic extract to its foods. The role of diet is ASSURING ITS GETTING VEGETATION AND VITAMINS FOR OVERALL HEALTH.
There really is no formal treatment but you can treat for secondary infections to prevent it from reaching that stage.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My clowns have had lympho (which from my understanding never really goes away and just goes dormant?) and this also popped up around the same time as a nitrate spike.

my ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate down to 5-10 after a spike of 30.

the only thing is that, if it is lympho and related to water quality, wouldn’t I see it acting up in my clowns as well?
Not related to water quality but water quality is a measure of prevention for virus and bacteria in many cases

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
It popped up overnight and was gone the next day. I’ve had her in QT for a couple days now and it seems to have faded. The fish in my display all seem fine and aren’t showing symptoms of anything. Right now, I’m thinking infection as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They popped up overnight. This morning, it seems to have cleared up a little. I’m leaning away from ich but this does fit in with its lifecycle, right? Infecting fish at night with freeswimmers and then dropping off to reproduce?
Yes - it does match the life cycle of ich, just visually it doesn't seem to be it. The fact that they popped up over night refutes my idea that the rings are granulomas, as those would have taken time to develop. Watch for a return of the spots in different locations in the next day or so, that would lean more towards ich then.

Jay

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone experiencing something similar, I eventually decided it was black ich with the help of R2R. I’ve treated with hyposalinity and it all seems to have cleared up but I’ll wait another couple weeks to be sure. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back