Foxface rabbitfish

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a foxface rabbitfish from the lps a few days ago. I just noticed that it had multiple black spots near it’s tail and I’m trying to diagnose what it could be. I didn’t notice these dots when it was at the store, but they very well could have been there. I think the reason I didn’t notice them was because the fish was camouflaged. However, the foxface has been eating like a pig since I got it and otherwise seems healthy.

Any info is appreciated.

2ac2ea6a278e93e3a524ee368aa96673.jpg

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My foxhace has those but honestly I thought it was him bumping into coral or rockwork with the way he swims around my tank and positioning himself in awkward places lol. mine has been fine for years so honestly I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a foxface rabbitfish from the lps a few days ago. I just noticed that it had multiple black spots near it’s tail and I’m trying to diagnose what it could be. I didn’t notice these dots when it was at the store, but they very well could have been there. I think the reason I didn’t notice them was because the fish was camouflaged. However, the foxface has been eating like a pig since I got it and otherwise seems healthy.

Any info is appreciated.

Is hard to see clearly when you zoom in on the pic but it's possible that it may be black ich.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-ich-turbellarians.259912/
The experts should see this soon and offer their advice

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have a tendency to change colour when stressed to try blend in but I haven't seen them do it when they seem happy, e.g. I was cleaning a tank at my LFS and one kinda sat in the corner and tried to blend in and turned grey with the trigger fish

Any info is appreciated.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the current picture I def don't think what I originally thought it was. Freshwater dip will give temporary relief. How does the fish seem physically. is it eating well, swimming fine etc?

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the current picture I def don't think what I originally thought it was. Freshwater dip will give temporary relief. How does the fish seem physically. is it eating well, swimming fine etc?

It seems to be fine. He’s been eating really well since I got him.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
honestly if you cankeep the fish well fed and stressfree as possible it will be able to live with ick. The fact that you have ick in your main display now proves very difficult to remove without removing all fish to medicate and leaving the main display Fallow. I personally wouldreccomend forgetting the fresh water dip in the morning and making sure you provide healthy meals for the fish such as nori everyday as well as a high quality frozen food with selcon(vitamins) to help the fish become healthy. You will be fine :)

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly if you cankeep the fish well fed and stressfree as possible it will be able to live with ick. The fact that you have ick in your main display now proves very difficult to remove without removing all fish to medicate and leaving the main display Fallow. I personally wouldreccomend forgetting the fresh water dip in the morning and making sure you provide healthy meals for the fish such as nori everyday as well as a high quality frozen food with selcon(vitamins) to help the fish become healthy. You will be fine :)

Sounds good. Looks like I’m going to have to setup quarantine; which is probably a good thing and should have did that b4 I started adding fish in. **sigh**

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like ich. The spots on the tail look like they might have a slight secondary infection starting, but I think good feeding, vitamin/selcon enriched foods and algae, and treating the ich will help clear that up as well.

If/when you do set up quarantine, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have an antibiotic on hand just in case. Furan-2 and/or Kanaplex would be my suggestion and OK to use with copper if you find they are necessary.

Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...-(Cryptocaryon-irritans).191226/&share_type=t

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like ich. The spots on the tail look like they might have a slight secondary infection starting, but I think good feeding, vitamin/selcon enriched foods and algae, and treating the ich will help clear that up as well.

If/when you do set up quarantine, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have an antibiotic on hand just in case. Furan-2 and/or Kanaplex would be my suggestion and OK to use with copper if you find they are necessary.

Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=191226&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Ich-(Cryptocaryon-irritans).191226/&share_type=t
I agree. If you didn’t see any “sesame seed” things (flukes) come off during dip especially.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Black spots and ich fell off after second fw dip.
f0788937f6351aace9e0f3a0fc3d7331.jpg
That happens with Black Ich and often ich as well. This means you’re probably dealing with both parasites.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. Glad he looks better. But more spots are probable. Just watch all your fish for them now. Ich spots falling off is a part of the life cycle of ich. Please read the paper I am attaching here. It is an excellent resource
. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA16400.pdf

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back