Foxface seems tired and not eating

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a foxface in my tank for almost 4 months now, along with hippo tang, Atlantic blue tang, dejarni tang, diamond goby, 2 firefish goby, and a coral beauty. he is happy and seem to be eating frozen my sis and nori every other day. But today I added 2 clownfish, 1 dusky wrasse and 1 coral banded shrimp to my aquarium and he didn’t eat anything when I fed my tank and he seems to be swimming weirdly like almost like he’s tired to swim. I turned off my light and now his as his usual spot where he sleeps at night just laying there discolored (black) which is normal when he sleeps but durring the day he is usually bright yellow. The tank has a lot of surface aggetation. I get all my fish from dr.reefquarantinedfish, so I’m assuming all fish goes through qt, I don’t qt at home. The 2 clownfish, wrasse, shrimp are doing just fine. If there anything I can do or add that will help him recover? Someone help! Here’s some video from today.

Reefer 350 (fish only)
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 80F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate : 15-20

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    86.1 MB

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing obvious on the video. I assume all the other fish are ok. My guess is the foxface is reacting to the commotion of new tankmates being added. I would give him a day before worrying unless you see other fish reacting negatively too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had a foxface in my tank for almost 4 months now, along with hippo tang, Atlantic blue tang, dejarni tang, diamond goby, 2 firefish goby, and a coral beauty. he is happy and seem to be eating frozen my sis and nori every other day. But today I added 2 clownfish, 1 dusky wrasse and 1 coral banded shrimp to my aquarium and he didn’t eat anything when I fed my tank and he seems to be swimming weirdly like almost like he’s tired to swim. I turned off my light and now his as his usual spot where he sleeps at night just laying there discolored (black) which is normal when he sleeps but durring the day he is usually bright yellow. The tank has a lot of surface aggetation. I get all my fish from dr.reefquarantinedfish, so I’m assuming all fish goes through qt, I don’t qt at home. The 2 clownfish, wrasse, shrimp are doing just fine. If there anything I can do or add that will help him recover? Someone help! Here’s some video from today.

Reefer 350 (fish only)
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 80F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate : 15-20
I just bought new software and this movie file appears infected as it trashed it with a warning. Last movie i tried wiped out my computer thank godness for transfer software,.
Sounds like remorse. As lame as it sounds, same as a cat when you introduce a new one, and it raises its back and then goes off to a corner.
Eating is a good sign although this fish needs more than you are feeding and I would suggest even LRS fish frenzy alone added . Marine cuisine, spirulina brine shrimp, and small plankton also works.
Breathing rate good on him or labored ?
Keep an eye on him but should come around

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s not looking good, he’s laying on his side. Barely moving at all

Tough to see in the video, but the foxface doesn't seem to be breathing fast. It is a bit thin. You might start feeding 2x/day. Also, in the video, its eyes seem to be protruding a bit, does it look like that to you?
If the fish feeds o.k., tomorrow, I would just chalk this up to it being disturbed and stressed out today.

Jay

OP
OP
M

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the video, but the foxface doesn't seem to be breathing fast. It is a bit thin. You might start feeding 2x/day. Also, in the video, its eyes seem to be protruding a bit, does it look like that to you?
If the fish feeds o.k., tomorrow, I would just chalk this up to it being disturbed and stressed out today.

Jay
Yes the eyes are a bit protruding, he is at the same spot and doesn’t look to be getting better.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the eyes are a bit protruding, he is at the same spot and doesn’t look to be getting better.
Exophthalmos (popeye) can be caused by a few different issues. None of these are really treatable, and a minor case like this may not even be a primary issue. Can you update us tomorrow?

Jay

OP
OP
M

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Exophthalmos (popeye) can be caused by a few different issues. None of these are really treatable, and a minor case like this may not even be a primary issue. Can you update us tomorrow?

Jay
Will do thank you!

OP
OP
M

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

J

Jay
Right now he is doing way better he is swimming around, I will try to feed him soon see if he eats. Hopefully it was just stress that made him like that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back