Foxface spiked my Purple Tang

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface stung my Purple Tang and the spike is embedded in him.

He seems to be okay, eating normally, although swimming erratically once in awhile.

Is there anything I can do or will it fall out on its own?

C68ABDBA-5CCA-4CE9-AC93-57B4E441AAC2.png
5A6D0C9E-A6EE-4AC5-A603-562359807D89.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi really not sure ,hopefully will fall out on own,best wishes ,lets try to get some expert eyes on this ;) #reefsquad

Himmat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is lodged but partially hanging out.
Maybe watch it for a couple days and hope it falls out. if it seems to be taking an affect on the fish maybe take it out and remove the spine and put it a qt? Dont quote me on any of this lol. Thats what i would probably do good luck!

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your fox face and purple and get on?

I'm researching deep into stocking options for my 100g and I'm keen to know your experiences with these together.

I'd look to introduce the two at the same time and be the only two algae competeting fish.
A purple tang is about the biggest tang I'm considering out of my tang options

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm researching deep into stocking options for my 100g and I'm keen to know your experiences with these together.

I'd look to introduce the two at the same time and be the only two algae competeting fish.
I added a one spot foxface into a tank with an established purple tang and initially the tang was aggressive. I used the mirror trick to distract the tang for a few days and after that there was no aggression at all. Now they are often swimming around the tank together.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a one spot foxface into a tank with an established purple tang and initially the tang was aggressive. I used the mirror trick to distract the tang for a few days and after that there was no aggression at all. Now they are often swimming around the tank together.
That's cool! I've heard mixed results, a local home ran coral / fish business to us who will be doing a full rigorous QT for us said he's had a customer have issues with the pairing.

Unfortunately for me this is fish round 2, towards the end of our first batch...the last fish we added from a different store introduced velvet and we lost a lot.

Months fast forward and this time around I'm buying from the same place, all at the same time and getting him to do a rigorous QT + treatmrnt for us before they go anywhere near our d
fallow DP.

As he needs to give me a quote, I'm in the privileged position where I could add tangs from juv together and hopefully get good results. My tank is well established and has the needed filtration.

I've heard that sometimes adding more then just 2 algae feeders can spread aggression. Can anyone testiment to this?
I'd use 2x clips for noria to reduce competition

My 105g (400L) gets my foot in the door for tangs but the purple being the biggest I could house realistically.
Could I potentially go for a yellow eyed kole, foxface rabbit fish, purple tang together?.....If more is better to spread aggression, could I also add a tomini tang?

I'm not interested in any of the larger species, sure I could upgrade further along but I don't want that pressure.

I just want a nice looking, not too pricey tang gang as they are usual utility fish who I find visually pleasing.

Other fish I'd look to house with these would likely be smaller, I'd maybe want a scooter blenny and a six line wrasse for their ability to control potential pests and a pair of clowns.

Any thoughts on the above? I'm eager to find a good stock list I can supply so he can investigate a quote

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool! I've heard mixed results, a local home ran coral / fish business to us who will be doing a full rigorous QT for us said he's had a customer have issues with the pairing.

Unfortunately for me this is fish round 2, towards the end of our first batch...the last fish we added from a different store introduced velvet and we lost a lot.

Months fast forward and this time around I'm buying from the same place, all at the same time and getting him to do a rigorous QT + treatmrnt for us before they go anywhere near our d
fallow DP.

As he needs to give me a quote, I'm in the privileged position where I could add tangs from juv together and hopefully get good results. My tank is well established and has the needed filtration.

I've heard that sometimes adding more then just 2 algae feeders can spread aggression. Can anyone testiment to this?
I'd use 2x clips for noria to reduce competition

My 105g (400L) gets my foot in the door for tangs but the purple being the biggest I could house realistically.
Could I potentially go for a yellow eyed kole, foxface rabbit fish, purple tang together?.....If more is better to spread aggression, could I also add a tomini tang?

I'm not interested in any of the larger species, sure I could upgrade further along but I don't want that pressure.

I just want a nice looking, not too pricey tang gang as they are usual utility fish who I find visually pleasing.

Other fish I'd look to house with these would likely be smaller, I'd maybe want a scooter blenny and a six line wrasse for their ability to control potential pests and a pair of clowns.

Any thoughts on the above? I'm eager to find a good stock list I can supply so he can investigate a quote
I also have a tomini tang in my tank with the purple and foxface, and there was some aggression when the tomini was first added but it mostly went away. The purple will still occasionally chase the tomini but it’s rare and he isn’t attacking the tomini.

If you add those 3 fish at the same time I would suspect they would likely get along, but unfortunately every fish is different and there are no guarantees.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I keep a Purple Tang with a Mag foxface, Bicolor, and One spot. My tank is 420 gallons, purple tang gets very aggressive around feeding time and I would say there will very possibly be a death caused by a PT in a 100 gallon.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a Purple Tang with a Mag foxface, Bicolor, and One spot. My tank is 420 gallons, purple tang gets very aggressive around feeding time and I would say there will very possibly be a death caused by a PT in a 100 gallon.
Did you introduce all together as juvs?
Do you use 2x algae clips for nori?

Just trying to make sure I know the full picture when it comes to experiences involving aggression as everything I'm reading right now is highlighting the importance to introduce all at the same time as young juvs.

On the flipside I'm also strongly keeping in mind that 100g is only just allowing me to have a purple tang and that has to be a factor too.
The scape is very much a BRS negative aquascape with lots of places to hide so that would probably help too but how much....difficult to say

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you introduce all together as juvs?
Do you use 2x algae clips for nori?

Just trying to make sure I know the full picture when it comes to experiences involving aggression as everything I'm reading right now is highlighting the importance to introduce all at the same time as young juvs.

On the flipside I'm also strongly keeping in mind that 100g is only just allowing me to have a purple tang and that has to be a factor too.
The scape is very much a BRS negative aquascape with lots of places to hide so that would probably help too but how much....difficult to say
Introduced the One spot and PT together as juveniles 8 months ago, both have about doubled in size give or take. I feed seaweed pellets instead of nori as they fought like hell over nori sheets. You'd have less trouble if there are a lot of caves and ways to escape. Foxface are not aggressive ime but my purple tang is a big bully and huge eater. I would recommend a bristletooth tang like a two spot blue eye or tomini tang over a purple tang in this situation with a smaller tank.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduced the One spot and PT together as juveniles 8 months ago, both have about doubled in size give or take. I feed seaweed pellets instead of nori as they fought like hell over nori sheets. You'd have less trouble if there are a lot of caves and ways to escape. Foxface are not aggressive ime but my purple tang is a big bully and huge eater. I would recommend a bristletooth tang like a two spot blue eye or tomini tang over a purple tang in this situation with a smaller tank.

If I were to go with just a purple tang as my only algae grazer and go for medium sized non tangs, could I still experience aggression?

I'm not familiar with all of the options but perhaps some of the decent sized wrasse, a mandarin etc

What do you think?
How would you stock a 400L?

Thanks for sharing all the advise and experiences by the way, really helps!

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a tomini tang in my tank with the purple and foxface, and there was some aggression when the tomini was first added but it mostly went away. The purple will still occasionally chase the tomini but it’s rare and he isn’t attacking the tomini.

If you add those 3 fish at the same time I would suspect they would likely get along, but unfortunately every fish is different and there are no guarantees.

How big is your tank?
If it was your own tank and a 400L, would you opt for just 1 tang or go for smaller species if tang as a small tang gang?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
If it was your own tank and a 400L, would you opt for just 1 tang or go for smaller species if tang as a small tang gang?
My tank is a 6’ 125. For me it would depend upon the dimensions of the tank. I think my purple tang is fine long term in my 125 but I also have a 400L tank that is only 41” long and I wouldn’t put one in that tank long term.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How big is your tank?
Personally I'd say a gang of bristletooths would be best in your situation. Tomini, White Tail, Two Spot, etc.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd say a gang of bristletooths would be best in your situation. Tomini, White Tail, Two Spot, etc.
I’ve never kept multiples in one tank so I have no first hand experience but isn’t there often aggression issues between multiple bristletooth tangs?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve never kept multiples in one tank so I have no first hand experience but isn’t there often aggression issues between multiple bristletooth tangs?
There will be aggression between any interspecies of tangs, but Bristletooths stay smaller than zebrasomas and are generally less aggressive than them as well. They would most likely suit a 100 gallon tank better.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back