Foxface spiked my Purple Tang

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 6’ 125. For me it would depend upon the dimensions of the tank. I think my purple tang is fine long term in my 125 but I also have a 400L tank that is only 41” long and I wouldn’t put one in that tank long term.
Tank is 50"L x 19.5"D x 24"H

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never kept multiples in one tank so I have no first hand experience but isn’t there often aggression issues between multiple bristletooth tangs?
I've heard to avoid tangs of the same species, so this sounds similiar to what I've heard at least.
At least that's what I've heard from peatrege reefs guide on multiple tangs

Edit: Just seen your reply, makes sense. It's so frustrating, I really really like the purple tangs.

I like the yellow tangs too but I don't feel they are realistic anymore due to their price. Had this been a few years ago my solution would be so much simpler :(

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've heard to avoid tangs of the same species, so this sounds similiar to what I've heard at least.
At least that's what I've heard from peatrege reefs guide on multiple tangs

Edit: Just seen your reply, makes sense. It's so frustrating, I really really like the purple tangs.

I like the yellow tangs too but I don't feel they are realistic anymore due to their price. Had this been a few years ago my solution would be so much simpler :(
A yellow tang would be better than a Purple and they only get 5-6" max and less bulky than a purple. Plus they are around the same price, some places are selling PTs for $300 now.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow tang would be better than a Purple and they only get 5-6" max and less bulky than a purple. Plus they are around the same price, some places are selling PTs for $300 now.

Is that how much PTs are at the moment? My gosh prices are a bit crazy for some tangs...
Unfortunately it drives people to go for less expensive tangs that get far too big because the list of affordable options becomes more narrow.

Looks like our prices here in the UK are a bit different.
PT seem to be around £110 but yellow tangs are fetching North of £300

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have multiples and my purple is the jerk, but I have 20 with no fighting injury or scars. They do just fine- Its how you introduce them in order of aggression and hiding/cover provided.
Purple should be fine despite sting

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiples and my purple is the jerk, but I have 20 with no fighting injury or scars. They do just fine- Its how you introduce them in order of aggression and hiding/cover provided.
Purple should be fine despite sting

Not sure how closely you've followed previous comments but what are your opinions on a PT + fox face for a 400L?
(105g) 50"l x 19"D x 24"H.

If so, is it better to opt for more then 2 algae grazers to slip aggression?

Regardless of what I choose...be it a PT or smaller tangs, I'm looking to introduce all as juvs at the same time.

Scape is a BRS negative habitat style, lots of caves and such.

I'm just not as much of a fan of the bristletooths, is that common to feel that way?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that how much PTs are at the moment? My gosh prices are a bit crazy for some tangs...
Unfortunately it drives people to go for less expensive tangs that get far too big because the list of affordable options becomes more narrow.

Looks like our prices here in the UK are a bit different.
PT seem to be around £110 but yellow tangs are fetching North of £300
Where I live you can get purple tangs for around $150. I don’t see YT that often but they’re usually $200ish.

With the dimensions of your tank I would be willing to keep a purple tang and a foxface (preferably 1 spot since they are a little smaller). There is no way to know for sure if you will have aggression problems or not. Being at the minimum tank size won’t help, and purple tangs have the potential to be jerks. I would definitely add the foxface first or add them together, and have a backup plan to get rid of one of them if necessary.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure how closely you've followed previous comments but what are your opinions on a PT + fox face for a 400L?

Regardless of what I choose...be it a PT or smaller tangs, I'm looking to introduce all as juvs at the same time.

I'm just not as much of a fan of the bristletooths, is that common to feel that way?
Im ok with these two together

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ok with these two together
Do you think I would get away with a tomini tang along with the purple tang and one spot Fox face? Same situation - all added as juvs.

I'm a bit limited to add any others because the larger tang species are too big. The only other tang that is an option is the vampire tang but I hear mixed opinions. Most people say they don't grow more then 9" but in the wild they can grow up to 12".

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I would get away with a tomini tang along with the purple tang and one spot Fox face? Same situation - all added as juvs.

I'm a bit limited to add any others because the larger tang species are too big. The only other tang that is an option is the vampire tang but I hear mixed opinions. Most people say they don't grow more than 9" but in the wild they can grow up to 12".
I have had a Tomini for almost 9 years. 3 years ago, I added a Purple Tang, Convict Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Lieutenant Tang, One Spot Foxface, 2 Blue Throat Triggers all at the same time. They worked it out. A little after that, I added a Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma and 6 Azure Damsels.

The Purple Tang getting speared by the Foxface was a strange event. I never saw any issue with any of the fish after that. And the Purple Tang has grown into a beautiful fish.

The Foxface is one of the most peaceful fish in my tank. I think that the Purple Tang may have ran into his spear by accident. My fish dart all the time when I feed and break my acros, some have even hit the top of my screen so hard that they still managed to knock the screen off and make their way onto the floor. Luckily I heard when that happened and retrieved them without injury.

I will note that all the tangs I added in with my old Tomini were all very small juveniles at that time. Some were the size of a quarter.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I'm a bit limited to add any others because the larger tang species are too big. The only other tang that is an option is the vampire tang but I hear mixed opinions. Most people say they don't grow more then 9" but in the wild they can grow up to 12".
I have 20 tangs and have these two together. Purple could not care less about Tomini

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't risk any tang & foxface together. Both algae eaters and fight over territory in a smaller tank as yours. Vettes' tank is 600 gals so space is key. I had a foxface and powder brown tang in a 120g and it was "Battle Royal" within 6 hours both fish were near death when I separated them. I still have the foxface 7 years later.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk any tang & foxface together. Both algae eaters and fight over territory in a smaller tank as yours. Vettes' tank is 600 gals so space is key. I had a foxface and powder brown tang in a 120g and it was "Battle Royal" within 6 hours both fish were near death when I separated them. I still have the foxface 7 years later.

I think If I was to choose just one tang for my stockist, then I'll likely opt for a purple tang.

What other options do I have for larger fish that won't compete for algae territory, perhaps a good sized wrasse?

Just interested in what a one tang only stock list would look like for a 105g (400L) tank.

So far this is a rough idea of a few fish I'd like but I'm interested in reef safe fish that are decent size. Not looking for anything monstrous, 5+ inches but no bigger then 8/9".

Purple Tang
Davincci clown pair
Purple Firefish

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think If I was to choose just one tang for my stockist, then I'll likely opt for a purple tang.

What other options do I have for larger fish that won't compete for algae territory, perhaps a good sized wrasse?

Just interested in what a one tang only stock list would look like for a 105g (400L) tank.

So far this is a rough idea of a few fish I'd like but I'm interested in reef safe fish that are decent size. Not looking for anything monstrous, 5+ inches but no bigger then 8/9".

Purple Tang
Davincci clown pair
Purple Firefish
Is this a reef tank or fish only?

MurrayWillitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a foxface to my tank yesterday and immediately my purple tang went after the foxface who was already stressed out being introduced to the tank. I found the foxface on the floor from being chased and jumping.

after getting fox off floor and back to tank where he sank but still breathing got harassed again by tang. He got beat up pretty good but ended up in corner and lights went out. Next morning, he was still in corner and looking less stressed but still being hassled. Fast forward to today and he isn't being hassled which i assume the fox gave it back to the tang. Still not in great shape from tangs damage. Tore the tail open and a few other wounds.

Hoping things settle down !

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Fox faces can be a bully . Mine was doing the same to my Midas. He would get close and then flare up his fins to spike him. I don’t get it

MurrayWillitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a foxface to my tank yesterday and immediately my purple tang went after the foxface who was already stressed out being introduced to the tank. I found the foxface on the floor from being chased and jumping.

after getting fox off floor and back to tank where he sank but still breathing got harassed again by tang. He got beat up pretty good but ended up in corner and lights went out. Next morning, he was still in corner and looking less stressed but still being hassled. Fast forward to today and he isn't being hassled which i assume the fox gave it back to the tang. Still not in great shape from tangs damage. Tore the tail open and a few other wounds.

Hoping things settle down !
I just need to update foxface is doing great. Now if my corals would respond as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back