Foxface with growth on mouth

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface recently developed a a bubble like growth on the bottom of his mouth. The growth is pinkish orange and not white like the area around it. I’m running hypo-salinity (1.009) since April to eradicate Ich without using copper. That seems to be going well. I don’t think it is flukes and the bump is smooth and not fuzzy. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1728.MOV
    44 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface recently developed a a bubble like growth on the bottom of his mouth. The growth is pinkish orange and not white like the area around it. I’m running hypo-salinity (1.009) since April to eradicate Ich without using copper. That seems to be going well. I don’t think it is flukes and the bump is smooth and not fuzzy. Thoughts?

Well, it isn't flukes. They don't look like that, and hypo kills off all but a couple of rare brackish water fluke species.

Although I doubt that it is related, hypo that low shouldn't be run for that long. I typically suggest 35 days, and then slowly bring the salinity back up and watch the fish for two weeks for any relapse. Your tank looks pretty good for being that low since April. I don't know if the fish have undergone any physiological changes that will make it more difficult to get them back up to full salinity. I normally tell people to take five days of consistent raises, but you might want to go a bit slower than that, just in case.

This bubble could be a bump or rub mark, but it isn't in a typical location for that. I have seen fluid filled blisters on fish before, but I don't know what causes that and they just go away with time.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, it isn't flukes. They don't look like that, and hypo kills off all but a couple of rare brackish water fluke species.

Although I doubt that it is related, hypo that low shouldn't be run for that long. I typically suggest 35 days, and then slowly bring the salinity back up and watch the fish for two weeks for any relapse. Your tank looks pretty good for being that low since April. I don't know if the fish have undergone any physiological changes that will make it more difficult to get them back up to full salinity. I normally tell people to take five days of consistent raises, but you might want to go a bit slower than that, just in case.

This bubble could be a bump or rub mark, but it isn't in a typical location for that. I have seen fluid filled blisters on fish before, but I don't know what causes that and they just go away with time.

Jay
Reminds me of rub marks often seen on Oscar’s and jack Dempsey

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
Agree that it should go away with time. It could be an abrasion

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I'm glad you said fluid-filled blister because that is precisely what it looks like to me. I wonder if he got poked by the shell of a crab, I feed frozen crab clusters every two to three days to my Clown Trigger.

I'll start moving the salinity up slowly through my ATO. I evaporate 15 to 20 gallons per week on the 300G.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back