Foxface with Uronema marinum?

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted a few days ago my new fox that looked a bit beat up. He had been eating fine etc, moment he started looking bad ordered some kanaplex overnight as it was assumed to be a bacterial infection. Day 2 with medication and he stopped eating yesterday, was chillin a bit at top (now bottom) and his minor white side turned into this in the image. I do have metroplex but tank has kanaplex dosed already. Would i be able to dose metro as well or that a bad idea? Also chances do look grim if it is uronema so wonder if should euthanize. Other problem is the water the fox was in also contained 2 snails and an anemone, would those be contaminated as carriers for the disease? (Given confirmation it is)

20210926_084742.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted a few days ago my new fox that looked a bit beat up. He had been eating fine etc, moment he started looking bad ordered some kanaplex overnight as it was assumed to be a bacterial infection. Day 2 with medication and he stopped eating yesterday, was chillin a bit at top (now bottom) and his minor white side turned into this in the image. I do have metroplex but tank has kanaplex dosed already. Would i be able to dose metro as well or that a bad idea? Also chances do look grim if it is uronema so wonder if should euthanize. Other problem is the water the fox was in also contained 2 snails and an anemone, would those be contaminated as carriers for the disease? (Given confirmation it is)

20210926_084742.jpg
Can you try for a clearer picture and a short video? The water spots on the glass make it tough to see.

That doesn’t look like a typical Uronema infection. The blanching around it is more a sign of a bacterial infection like Vibrio.

Metro, at a working dose is going to kill the anemone and maybe the snails. I always urge people to quarantine new fish in the absence of invertebrates.

Antibiotics are going to be the best course of action, but the question is, will they work fast enough given the fish has stopped eating.

If it wasn’t for the inverts, I’d suggest you drop the specific gravity to 1.020 in order to help the fish with osmotic balancing, given the large amount of open skin.

Jay

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try for a clearer picture and a short video? The water spots on the glass make it tough to see.

That doesn’t look like a typical Uronema infection. The blanching around it is more a sign of a bacterial infection like Vibrio.

Metro, at a working dose is going to kill the anemone and maybe the snails. I always urge people to quarantine new fish in the absence of invertebrates.

Antibiotics are going to be the best course of action, but the question is, will they work fast enough given the fish has stopped eating.

If it wasn’t for the inverts, I’d suggest you drop the specific gravity to 1.020 in order to help the fish with osmotic balancing, given the large amount of open skin.

Jay
The inverts have been removed and put into their own QT now so the fish is alone to be medicated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts have been removed and put into their own QT now so the fish is alone to be medicated.
I would lower the specific gravity to 1.020 and continue with the Kanaplex. Choosing an antibiotic to use is always just a guess. Some people double and even triple up with different meds, to try to cover all bases, but then you run the risk of drug interactions.

Jay

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the specific gravity to 1.020 and continue with the Kanaplex. Choosing an antibiotic to use is always just a guess. Some people double and even triple up with different meds, to try to cover all bases, but then you run the risk of drug interactions.

Jay
Kk ill try to lower salinity over the next few days, id like to dose metroplex but it does say it will put even more stress on the fish and as stands i question if poor guy will pull through

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Finally got a clean pic, this is current status of the fox

Attachments

• 20210926_215036.jpg
    20210926_215036.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not thinking it is either of those disease. However kanamycin may help.
No idea what it was but he died this morning and that white around the open wound appeared on the other side of his body too

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it was but he died this morning and that white around the open wound appeared on the other side of his body too
Sorry to hear - does seem to have been a nasty bacterial infection.

Jay

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - does seem to have been a nasty bacterial infection.

Jay
Yeah wont be buying anymore fish from the petco. Sucks but means all fish i need to get online now since no other lfs within 3hrs. Should I do a full bleach/vinegar cleaning of this tank or would a rinse/sun dry be good enough? (Wont be QT anything for a month most likely)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look that one up, we’ve never had that show up. That species is an anaerobe, so can’t be present in an external infection bathed in oxygenated seawater. Almost all external bacterial infections end up being vibrio, pseudomonas or aeromonas. There is one other common one but I can’t recall the name.

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look that one up, we’ve never had that show up. That species is an anaerobe, so can’t be present in an external infection bathed in oxygenated seawater. Almost all external bacterial infections end up being vibrio, pseudomonas or aeromonas. There is one other common one but I can’t recall the name.

Jay
"Gram-negative pleomorphic bacterium. It has been isolated from marine environments, as well as from anaerobic" "It is also a facultative anaerobe, meaning it can undergo aerobic respiration when oxygen is present" I know it is something odd, but I don't think it is the others lacks hemorrhaging.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Gram-negative pleomorphic bacterium. It has been isolated from marine environments, as well as from anaerobic" "It is also a facultative anaerobe, meaning it can undergo aerobic respiration when oxygen is present" I know it is something odd, but I don't think it is the others lacks hemorrhaging.

It looks a lot like Furunculosis, caused by an Aeromonas. That's pretty common. Trouble is, no bacterial diseases can regularly diagnosed from gross visual symptoms.

Jay

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks a lot like Furunculosis, caused by an Aeromonas. That's pretty common. Trouble is, no bacterial diseases can regularly diagnosed from gross visual symptoms.

Jay
Once the fox passed during the night, by morning that white patch quickly covered the opposite side of the fox as well, the initial spot with the ulcer stayed the same but the white expanded further.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back