Frag encased in Green Star Polyp

russclark27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a GSP frag months ago, and slowly over time for various reasons the polyps have grown to almost completely encase the frag. Now I can't place it without putting a fleshy side down.

I really, really, really don't want to take a knife to this thing but is that the only way? FWIW I'm newly back in the hobby after 15 years and never really messed with frags before.

If I do need to cut it, any good tutorial videos or...?

Thanks!

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is really hardy I had it growing up my back wall and used a razor to take it off and just cut it into squares for my friends.

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green star polyps are super forgiving, you can just cut the tissue with a sharp blade like an xacto knife. i'm sure there's a bunch of gsp fragging youtube vids but it's really as simple as cutting it. it pretty much immediately recovers and grows more like weeds

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think it will care if you glue it down with out cutting it. It’s pretty hardy.

I have some on a small rock on the sand bed. When it’s gets to big I cut around the rock with Scissors

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't let it dry out. Just cut it wet, and stick it down with some gel type superglue, still wet. Important to be gel type, the watery ones will run everywhere and get your fingers stuck together.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back