Votes: 32 33.3%

• Total voters

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that most of the sites that sell coral offer mainly frags for sale. On the other hand most LFS offer colonies. I realize that frags are much easier and cheaper to ship. But, there are many people that have rather large reef tanks and putting a 3 polyp frag of zoas in a 200 gallon reef tank, well they can look a little lost.
When shopping for coral do you look for frags or colonies and why?
Gary

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonies. I'm impatient and like the look of colonies much better.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking at polyps. In my experience frags are fine. 3 to 5 polyps usually seems to be a good number to grow from. I've started off with that amount with a few different types, and ended up with 25+ polyps in just a few months.

When looking at SPS corals. Colonies are difficult to find, however are much nicer to start with than frags. I no longer purchase SPS frags, unless it's a rare/high end piece where colonies can't be found.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both....It depends on the zoa or paly and how much either on is....Rics I do the same thing if I can find a small colony for the right price I will get it other wise its singles.

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ever is the better deal. be it a frag or a colony price per head is what it boils down to for me.

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i go frags all the way i love watching them grow. its great to get up and see 2 new polys coming in on a 3 polyp frag

DiscoReefRover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i prefer colonies ...but they have gotten to be what we used to call frags over the last few years ....I rem when a acro frag was the size of what they call colonies today ....

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both for me. It just all depends on what it it. SPS I want frags most of the time and everything else colonys if I can find them in colonys.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like frag's. I guess it's based on what you are willing to pay, and the room that you have.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer colonies, but get frags to grow out neat stuff when cannot get the whole colony.

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer frags as they grown in to a more natural look and are much easier to mount. I just wish venors would sell them price adjusted - a colony for sale @ $100 sould not be busted in to 10 frags @ $50. I understand a premium, got to cover labor costs along with supplies and losses, but same coral cut into 10 frags @ $25 is still a good deal for the seller (if they are set up to do the fragging etc...)

ziggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. Prefer frags just to watch them grow and for ease of tank placement, but if the price is right, then I have to go with the colony.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like frags because they grow into their surroundings appropriately and colonies can be hard to find unless you know somebody taking apart their tank.

Oimate84

Acroholics Anonymous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer frags in my 125. Other then "captive-grown" sps frags being less likely to lose colors & RTN then wild SPS, I like the fact that I can be proud my frags grew into colonies and not just started off a big size to begin with.

Oh and when I say frags, not talking about wild colonies being chopped up right away but frags from colonies that have been settled in for some time or grown out from frags themselves.

Last edited:

mheaven

Still on the prowl...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frags for me, that way i can say. it use to be this size(1") now its about 6" in diameter.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back