Frag/Quarantine Tank - Reefer 170?

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, first post - noob here. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong sub-forum.

Long story short: I found a used Reefer 170 off Craigslist and set it up but immediately realized I wanted something larger as my DT. So I bought a Reefer 250 which is off to a beautiful start with two clowns, two hermit crabs, and two snails.

In my readings, I've realized that if I want to do things properly it sounds like I need TWO additional tanks for quarantining purposes (one for coral, one for fish). I grabbed an aqueon 10g bundle off petco for reasonably cheap. Just need an ammonia monitor and some PVC. I'll use that for fish QT. I'm planning to go ahead and put something in that pretty quickly since by the time I'm done QT'ing the DT should be more than ready to accommodate the new fish.

I've never gone down the coral route but it sounds like most people advocate QT'ing coral and that needs a SEPARATE tank. I'm trying to decide if I should just keep my Reefer 170 (currently listed on craigslist) and use that for a coral frag/QT tank. I've got to imagine I'll want to be adding coral pretty regularly and so I'll want a constant QT tank. this would be pretty convenient since I'd have everything I need including ATO/skimmer for a more long-term kit. it has an AI prime light.

anyway, wanted to get you guys' opinion - should I just sell the reefer 170 and go for a 20 long from the ground up for a coral frag/QT tank? or will the reefer suit my needs.

note that I have no plans to make the 170 a DT right now. I'm already beyond pushing it by bringing in TWO QT's (my wife is going to kill me)

thanks everyone in advance

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank will work for a coral QT. Just do whatever is cheaper.

Also, for the fish QT, I would recommend more than pvc. Get a bunch of biospoges in an oversized hob filter.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly use the 170 as a coral frag/QT tank or use something smaller. The benefit with the 170 is that you don't need any ATO (since it has a gravity fed one already built-in) and you have enough room to run an additional frag/QT section in the sump. Often what you save in going with smaller tanks you end up spending in additional accessories, time and maintenance.

I have a different perspective/philosophy on QT tanks (or lack thereof), but that's just my take.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS make sure you add some nitrate and phosphate to the coral QT

Back