Frag System on a budget

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first first build thread - and to keep things under budgetary control (so I can keep up with my reckless spending on my 2 main tanks), am going to try to go rudimentary and entry level for most equipment and tie into existing systems as much as possible

Whole build idea started with coming across a very reasonably priced ZooMed "Low Boy" 48x24x11 (might be 10")

Tank will be set up in what started as a storage part of the basement which is slowing becoming a fish room with access to both ATO from the RODI system but also will be daisy chained to the main 180 as the 2rd stop in the AWC.

Stand will be built to allow a room for a sump via a hang on overflow, but for starters will go with a hang on refugium that was a left over and a Tunze internal canister. Those and the high volume AWC I hope will be enough for a good start.

Only splurge will be a pair of AI 32 hydras of which I already had one, and just bought its' pair.

Finished up the stand this weekend now has a coat of paint which I am allowing to de-gas.

All wood and hardware came extras or from the scrap pile.

1632779249116.png

So, would love to hear your thoughts as I go along and help in keeping this on budget, but still a success.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason for the 4X4s is I will add high capacity rollers, as the best place for the tank is in front of a set of selves that get accessed about 2X a year. they are in place and have tested with 400lb of feed bags.

More this weekend after the bulldogs game
Corner uprights from 4by 4s. You are certainly building sturdy. Looks good so far.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good! Love shallow tanks and i think it should do awesome! Are you dosing or doing a calcium rx?

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Love shallow tanks and i think it should do awesome! Are you dosing or doing a calcium rx?
Starting plan is a Kamoer with All for reef - and high volume for the tank size AWC as it will daisy off my 180 display - which may be all Alk I need - we will see

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea id be interested in knowing how alk and calcium is with the added volume. I guess it depends on how full your frag system gets.

ive been looking at swapping my 180 over to salt and cant decide if i want to keep dosing or do a calrx.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea id be interested in knowing how alk and calcium is with the added volume. I guess it depends on how full your frag system gets.

ive been looking at swapping my 180 over to salt and cant decide if i want to keep dosing or do a calrx.
I have only been Running my 180 for a calendar year now, has a good balance of LPS and SPS and two clams and still feel like I am at least a year away from needing a calcium reactor.

Back