Frag tank as coral QT?

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reached my maximum tank allotment....So I now have a conundrum. I have a 10 gallon I am using as a frag tank, but I would also like to QT my coral coming into my display system. I am primarily concerned with fish disease. I have one fish in my frag tank, because I was worried that long term going fishless would throw off the natural balance, but now I have a potential parasite host. could a UV filter on my 10g serve as a solution to get the best of both worlds or at least get me most of the way there? My plan would be to dip corals, have them in the 10g frag with UV for a few weeks then intro into the DT.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reached my maximum tank allotment....So I now have a conundrum. I have a 10 gallon I am using as a frag tank, but I would also like to QT my coral coming into my display system. I am primarily concerned with fish disease. I have one fish in my frag tank, because I was worried that long term going fishless would throw off the natural balance, but now I have a potential parasite host. could a UV filter on my 10g serve as a solution to get the best of both worlds or at least get me most of the way there? My plan would be to dip corals, have them in the 10g frag with UV for a few weeks then intro into the DT.
My understanding is that most external/internal fish parasites die within a week of no host. I don’t know much about the other diseases, aside from ich.

What parasite do you think you’ve encountered?

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't encountered anything, but I have read velvet is 2 weeksish. Also since I am not going with a fishless frag system I have a host.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back