Frag tank for frag shows!

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a Frag tank so I can start going to some frag shows and sell some SPS! Here's what I have been able to find for frag tanks.

1. Seapora 34 rimless frag (36"x18"x12" 34g)
Pros = Largest which means more corals on display, relatively cheap
Cons = Heaviest, glass, requires the most water, its RR so i have to plug the holes and cut out the overflow.

2. UNS 75s (30x18x12 26g)
Pros - beautiful construction, smaller water volume yet a nice large size, completely rimless, no holes or overflow to plug
Cons - Expensive, Thinner glass, Delicate.

3. Seapora 30 rimless frag (24x24x12 30g)
Pros - Cheapest option, Already have a xr15 pro that would work on it.
Cons - smaller, yet large water volume, glass

4. Advanced Acrylics frag (24x24x8)
Pros - Acrylic, lightweight, low water volume, built in filtration champers, already have xr15 pro for it.
Cons - Expensive, small foot print, out of stock everywhere.

I have a large credit at my LFS for trading in frags/colonies. The can order Seapora and they have UNS in stock. I dont think they can get Advanced Acrylics tanks.

That should I go with?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a Frag tank so I can start going to some frag shows and sell some SPS! Here's what I have been able to find for frag tanks.

1. Seapora 34 rimless frag (36"x18"x12" 34g)
Pros = Largest which means more corals on display, relatively cheap
Cons = Heaviest, glass, requires the most water, its RR so i have to plug the holes and cut out the overflow.

2. UNS 75s (30x18x12 26g)
Pros - beautiful construction, smaller water volume yet a nice large size, completely rimless, no holes or overflow to plug
Cons - Expensive, Thinner glass, Delicate.

3. Seapora 30 rimless frag (24x24x12 30g)
Pros - Cheapest option, Already have a xr15 pro that would work on it.
Cons - smaller, yet large water volume, glass

4. Advanced Acrylics frag (24x24x8)
Pros - Acrylic, lightweight, low water volume, built in filtration champers, already have xr15 pro for it.
Cons - Expensive, small foot print, out of stock everywhere.

I have a large credit at my LFS for trading in frags/colonies. The can order Seapora and they have UNS in stock. I dont think they can get Advanced Acrylics tanks.

That should I go with?
A few things to think about that may help your decision.

- How big are the booths?
- How big is the table you plan to setup?
- How much water are you willing to carry to the show? (Fresh for top off and SW to setup)
- How much room do you have in vehicle for tank/stand/water?
- Will it be you setting this up by yourself? (Weight of tank and carrying it by yourself)
- What light will I be using?
- Am I only doing one type of frag? (SPS only or some other stuff thrown in)
- If doing more than one type, will the tank allow me to place the frags in the correct light for them?

This is what drove my decision for the tanks I use. Acrylic is lighter and an all in one would keep it clean. Glass is cheaper, but heavier and stands a chance to get broken

I ended up with 2x custom acrylic tanks that are all in ones. 30x18x10 that are all in ones. This let me easily set them up by myself, use a nice old wood/steel folding table I had, and was easy enough fro me to carry enough water to fill them and top them off. It also allowed me to do a high light tank and a low/blue rave party tank with lights I had laying around. Plus they can be thrown into my vehicle with no worries of breaking. If they do get scratched, then I can sand/buff the scratches out. Most views are from top down at frag shows, so if I get a scratch on way there, so be it lol.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things to think about that may help your decision.

- How big are the booths?
- How big is the table you plan to setup?
- How much water are you willing to carry to the show? (Fresh for top off and SW to setup)
- How much room do you have in vehicle for tank/stand/water?
- Will it be you setting this up by yourself? (Weight of tank and carrying it by yourself)
- What light will I be using?
- Am I only doing one type of frag? (SPS only or some other stuff thrown in)
- If doing more than one type, will the tank allow me to place the frags in the correct light for them?

This is what drove my decision for the tanks I use. Acrylic is lighter and an all in one would keep it clean. Glass is cheaper, but heavier and stands a chance to get broken

I ended up with 2x custom acrylic tanks that are all in ones. 30x18x10 that are all in ones. This let me easily set them up by myself, use a nice old wood/steel folding table I had, and was easy enough fro me to carry enough water to fill them and top them off. It also allowed me to do a high light tank and a low/blue rave party tank with lights I had laying around. Plus they can be thrown into my vehicle with no worries of breaking. If they do get scratched, then I can sand/buff the scratches out. Most views are from top down at frag shows, so if I get a scratch on way there, so be it lol.
All good points that I have been considering. A lot depends on the shows and I have never registered for shows. I have tables to accommodate everything. I also have a large SUV that can fit the tank, table, and water containers for any size.

I have a XR15 G4 Pro but that wont light up a 30" tank and its not mobius ready so i cant switch between white and blue lights with out bringing a laptop which is a bit excessive. So if I can find the right deal on a tank, I can figure out the lighting situation then.

I plan on getting a cart to move everything in and out on. It will just make life easier and worth it to me. Where did you get the 30x18x10 tank from. Ideally, i would get a 30x18x8 tank with no overflow or AIO. I have a small reactor for carbon and filter floss and can hid a heater under the frag racks. No need to waste space for AIO or overflows/returns.

Does anyone on here build custom acrylic tanks?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points that I have been considering. A lot depends on the shows and I have never registered for shows. I have tables to accommodate everything. I also have a large SUV that can fit the tank, table, and water containers for any size.

I have a XR15 G4 Pro but that wont light up a 30" tank and its not mobius ready so i cant switch between white and blue lights with out bringing a laptop which is a bit excessive. So if I can find the right deal on a tank, I can figure out the lighting situation then.

I plan on getting a cart to move everything in and out on. It will just make life easier and worth it to me. Where did you get the 30x18x10 tank from. Ideally, i would get a 30x18x8 tank with no overflow or AIO. I have a small reactor for carbon and filter floss and can hid a heater under the frag racks. No need to waste space for AIO or overflows/returns.

Does anyone on here build custom acrylic tanks?
Mine were built years ago by Glass Cages. They are local to me, so I used them. Previously there were some bad reviews about them, but they have new owners and their quaility is top notch. @Joe Glass Cages just built me a custom sump (acrylic) not to long ago and it was perfect. it was no easy task either lol. It is a macro display sump that is 80% fuge section. They also built @Hydrored glass tank and that thing is gorgeous. (I got to see it being built lol)

Here is the sump they did for me. (frag tanks are put up in the garage and no pics on new phone)

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

tempImageWp5Id8.png

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were built years ago by Glass Cages. They are local to me, so I used them. Previously there were some bad reviews about them, but they have new owners and their quaility is top notch. @Joe Glass Cages just built me a custom sump (acrylic) not to long ago and it was perfect. it was no easy task either lol. It is a macro display sump that is 80% fuge section. They also built @Hydrored glass tank and that thing is gorgeous. (I got to see it being built lol)

Here is the sump they did for me. (frag tanks are put up in the garage and no pics on new phone)

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

tempImageWp5Id8.png
My Display is a glasscages 175 cube. I love it. Ill have to check them out. Or i might have to try my hand at building my own frag tank. I've done some acrylic work. I'm sure I can make a tank!..

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

tempImageWp5Id8.png
Thanks @Eagle_Steve. that was a fun sump to design. much easier to build than design for sure. Looks so simple when done... but wow did we have fun on that one! Here to support even if we are not the selected builder. I just really enjoy supporting and serving. Yeah, @Hydrored tank turned out pretty HOT. He has skills.

Thanks again for the support

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back