Frag tank help

K1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes purchase coral from other hobbyists shutting down their tanks and for the most part they usually come on live rock(sometimes big, sometimes small) and when im lucky they come with pests! I have had a tough time with the water quality and what not when some of the corals wither or release stuff in the water clouding it up.

The current frag type system is:
- 29 gallon aquarium
- Heater
- t5/Mh combo
- HOB filter for water flow

My question is how would you go about getting a bunch of live rock with coral on it (to big to dip), setting up an aquarium for it almost instantly for further investigation of pests and what not.

My current situation is live rock that is covered in majano anemones and flatworms.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those majono anemones as well and if you have one, you have about 15! The only way to stop that spread is to kill the majono first before buying more corals. Eradicate them first or you are risking that same rock with the corals. I’m on the upward battle now with them as I’ve only seen a few more. Most are gone. From getting new corals, dipping them is the only way to go. You could also qt the rock and corals but they need to have good light for them as well and good Parameters for it to survive the qt time. Places like WWC say don’t dip the corals(which I don’t from them) and never seen a pest on them or worried from the only. TSA, I’ve gotten from and had aptasia on it(just on the plug) thankfully I saw it and just changed out the plug. Another way is to frag the corals right away in the rock, dip it and then do whatever with it in your system.

OP
OP
K1ng

K1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I bought the corals and live rock from had 1000's of majano anemone's. Covered a 150g completely.

Just a side note my dt is a 220 with an 80 gallon sump (45g refugium inside). Its filled with live rock so im not looking for anymore. So no way is anything going in until I can get rid of the pests. My process is buy the live rock and coral, take the coral I want and sell the live rock.

The problem that is kind of occurring is that some coral were dying in his tank and have polluted the new water. Others aren't fully opening like they were in his tank. Besides water quality I plan on getting some fish to take care of the pests like wrasses or butterfly fish.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run carbon and maybe a poly filter. If the water quality isn’t good from the dying corals. Or just snip off and of you lose some, you lose some. Most should be fine if your water quality is good and better then the last tank

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the corals, I'd at least dip the rock with the corals on them. May wipe out any microfauna and reduce the bacteria on the rock, but at least the corals and rock would be pest free. Fingers crossed.

Back