Frag tank setup

Oldss72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I just setup a frag tank attached to my system. Tank is a 20 gallon with a hob overflow that I had kicking around. Also brought out of retirement an old jebao power head and Light is a red sea 50. I built a quick 2x4 stand as it is in my basement next to my sump and looks don't matter. Rest of the system is a 120 gallon display and 55 sump. Hourly turnover is low because it is supplied by my gfo canister- but the temperature matches the system so I think I am ok.

I set this up as I have some things in the main tank that are getting overgrown and I want to get them on frag plugs and trade/sell them but my wife doesn't want a frag rack in the main tank. I plan to build an egg crate rack and keep the frag tank bare bottom.

My daughter posed the idea of putting a fish or two in the tank that we cannot normally keep in the main system. My lfs has a frag tank with pipefish in it and she loves that idea. Any other ideas or suggestions other than the obvious snails and such? I was going to keep fish out of it to keep from adding to my bioload - but I also am thinking it may not be a bad idea to add mollies or something to eat algae. I feel bad adding fish to a setup without rocks/places to hide so maybe a few small rocks or something too. Thoughts/suggestions?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great setup, any pics of your handy work?

Are there any fish in the main display aquarium that are getting bullied and might enjoy some peace in the new frag tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I just setup a frag tank attached to my system. Tank is a 20 gallon with a hob overflow that I had kicking around. Also brought out of retirement an old jebao power head and Light is a red sea 50. I built a quick 2x4 stand as it is in my basement next to my sump and looks don't matter. Rest of the system is a 120 gallon display and 55 sump. Hourly turnover is low because it is supplied by my gfo canister- but the temperature matches the system so I think I am ok.

I set this up as I have some things in the main tank that are getting overgrown and I want to get them on frag plugs and trade/sell them but my wife doesn't want a frag rack in the main tank. I plan to build an egg crate rack and keep the frag tank bare bottom.

My daughter posed the idea of putting a fish or two in the tank that we cannot normally keep in the main system. My lfs has a frag tank with pipefish in it and she loves that idea. Any other ideas or suggestions other than the obvious snails and such? I was going to keep fish out of it to keep from adding to my bioload - but I also am thinking it may not be a bad idea to add mollies or something to eat algae. I feel bad adding fish to a setup without rocks/places to hide so maybe a few small rocks or something too. Thoughts/suggestions?
Set up sounds good!!! Any pictures of the tank?

OP
OP
O

Oldss72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a simple egg crate rack today after work. Also I and put in a two leather frags and scraped a few ricordias from the glass on my display to get something in the tank. Also a photo of my display tank attached.

I am going to going to pull an anemone this weekend and some zoa frags as well, then see what I can get growing in the new frag tank.

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_021525423.jpg
    PXL_20230209_021525423.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20230113_022249786.jpg
    PXL_20230113_022249786.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 96

BaraCats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a simple egg crate rack today after work. Also I and put in a two leather frags and scraped a few ricordias from the glass on my display to get something in the tank. Also a photo of my display tank attached.

I am going to going to pull an anemone this weekend and some zoa frags as well, then see what I can get growing in the new frag tank.

I love your tank, those massive softies are fantastic! And those morphs, wow!

Back