Fragging Fail! What’s your worst reefing fail?

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dip my new coral in Bayer insecticide for pests. One time I used rodi water instead of saltwater in the dip. Needless to say after 10-15 min in rodi that coral did not survive... luckily this was one of the few times I was only dipping a single coral so it was just the one coral I lost. Will never make that mistake again.

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a odd crab in my elegance I never purchased, over reacted and ripped it out with tweezers as soon as I noticed rather than placing into a dip.
Never poofed out for me again. Now it’s a wimpy blob

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change on my QT housing a tiny yellow watchman goby. The syphon hose was going directly to a utility sink when I sucked up the poor little guy and down the water slide he went. Instantly I started taking apart my sink and the scared little guy was in the p-trap. Doing great now and has a story to tell all his friends.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was opening a newly purchased rock flower nem over the sink for some unknown reason. It slipped through my fingers into the drain. Luckily it didn’t make it through the holes and I was able to lightly grab it with tweezers. Still doing fine a month later.
Lucky you were able to get it out.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change on my QT housing a tiny yellow watchman goby. The syphon hose was going directly to a utility sink when I sucked up the poor little guy and down the water slide he went. Instantly I started taking apart my sink and the scared little guy was in the p-trap. Doing great now and has a story to tell all his friends.
I suck up snails some time and they clog the pipe and I have to try to squeeze them back out the tubing

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convinced myself once that I could use bone cutters on a whole branch of hammer, instead of using the cutter tips to nibble away at it ...
After it shattered into a half dozen pieces, I glued it all back together and thankfully it survived.
I did the same with a Frogspawn that I bought for my daughter's tank, it was on an UGLY brown frag disc(?) and took wire cutters to cut it off of the plug and it shattered into 20 pieces, (I know because I counted as I glued), glued them together as best as possible into two frags. They are growing nicely!!!

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large hermit crab found its way into my overflow. I pulled the pipe to drain remove but it sucked him in. It was the perfect shape to get stuck in an elbow. I waited a couple of days and live crab was in the filter sock but the shell was still stuck. I tossed him back in the DT but he lasted about 20 seconds before the trigger had lunch. Ended up having to cut my return plumbing and redo.

Denniswbliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst fail is buying a sand sifting starfish for a aio 40gal. Literally stripped my micro fauna in return crashed my system. O How did I learn.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back