Fraging info

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had fish for years but went to a reef tank a few months back. I have Armor of Gods and Mohawks. I do not know how to frag them. One is on plugs and the orther a solid piece of coral. I would like some advise so I can trade them off.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to scrape off of rock with a razor or other sharp object. slice in-between polyps you want to keep on original surface. once polyps are off rock put some super glue gel on surface you want to stick frag to and just stick it to it. this is all done out of tank. try to dry surface you are gluing to. it is that simple. watch out zoos and palys are toxic.

Dace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you where glasses and no open cuts on your hands . I where gloves regardless

cbau45

I like to reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging zoas is no funny business IMO. I've heard too many horror stories about guys going to the hospital for the smallest cuts. I'd rather look like an idiot and be safe then to risk screwing up. Safety glasses and rubber gloves are my recommendation here. I haven't taken hit to the mouth yet but I suppose it's something to be cautious of as well, we can't forget that each polyp is full of water when you take it out.

Don't let the stories scare you away from fragging stuff though. Aquaculture is the only way we can keep this hobby alive and do our small part for the big reefs.

pete43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's insane!I've never heard that before.I never knew that palys were that toxic.What exactly is in them,that makes them so toxic.
So long,Pete
P.S-Frank make sure that you dry the bottom of eack polyp with paper towels before you try to glue them to rocks or plugs.

bannshy

Why be Normal?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another method is, if the polyps are seperated enough, you can just cut or break the rock. I use a dremal with a ceramic tile blade (diamond blade) cuts like butter. then I can glue the small piece of the rock with the polyps already attached to another rock or plug. This is my favorit method.

You can even cut the mat of the polyps with a razor blade and cut the rock from the back seperating them.

Super glue gel works the best.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, they are toxic. the toxin is called palytoxin. you should always wear googles and gloves when handling or fraggin zoas or palys.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back