Frags for sale/trade

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to give my tank a good trimming, so looking to sell or trade some frags. I have some stuff with frags ready to go, and others would need to be fragged to order. If you want to trade for coral, fish, CUC, equipment, or reefing supplies or anything else just let me know what you have and we can set up a trade :)

Birdsnest
Blue Stylo
Cactus coral (Pavona)
JF Crybaby zoas
Fire and Ice zoas
Green Goblin Anacropora
Green Monti Cap
Green Slimer
Green hammer-purple tips
Marbled Hammer
Red Monti Cap
Trumpet coral
Turbinaria (vase coral)
Watermellon Zoas

Birdsnest.jpg Blue Stylo.jpg Cactus Colony.jpg Crybaby Zoas.jpg Fire and Ice Zoas.jpg Green Goblin Anacropora.jpg Green Monti Cap.jpg Green Slimer.jpg Hammer Colony.jpg Marbled Hammer.jpg Red Monti Cap.jpg Trumpet Colony.jpg Turbinaria.jpg Watermellon Zoas.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had alot of people ask for prices, so here's a list of what I generally sell them for. I also give discounts for buying several frags and am generous when making trades.

Birdsnest-----------------------------$15
Blue Stylo----------------------------$15
Cactus coral (Pavona)-----------$15
JF Crybaby zoas--------------------$15
Fire and Ice zoas------------------$15
Green Goblin Anacropora-----$15
Green Monti Cap-----------------$15
Green Slimer-----------------------$20
Green hammer-purple tips---$20/head
Marbled Hammer----------------$40/head
Red Monti Cap--------------------$15
Trumpet coral---------------------$15
Turbinaria (vase coral)----------$15
Watermellon Zoas --------------$15

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! Have had a couple of sales/trades set up, but still have tons of frags left.

Here's a few pics of the frags in my frag tank. A few from these pictures are pending, but most still available and can cut more of anything. I'm in a very giving mood for anyone who wants to make a trade or buy any frags :)

As a side note, anyone here ever sell their frags to a local fish store or for store credit? Would love to hear how that works

IMG_20200814_190218.jpg IMG_20200821_201127.jpg IMG_20200821_201130.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! Have had a couple of sales/trades set up, but still have tons of frags left.

Here's a few pics of the frags in my frag tank. A few from these pictures are pending, but most still available and can cut more of anything. I'm in a very giving mood for anyone who wants to make a trade or buy any frags :)

As a side note, anyone here ever sell their frags to a local fish store or for store credit? Would love to hear how that works

IMG_20200814_190218.jpg IMG_20200821_201127.jpg IMG_20200821_201130.jpg
Yeah, I "sell" to two LFS. Both for store credit which is fine.

In one case, it is consignment. We agree rough pricing, and I get 1/3rd of sale price. That might sound skimpy, but I get my store orders/purchases at cost so it works out pretty generous. I also do some specialty work for that store.

The other store, I just send them some pics of current inventory and suggest 4 of these, 4 of those, 2 of these, 6 of those. They say great. The owner then eyeballs what I bring in and just says "250 in store credit for the batch?" I say perfect. Repeat a few months later.

Most of this stuff is medium value SPS from my original system. Plus some duncan, hammer, etc.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I "sell" to two LFS. Both for store credit which is fine.

In one case, it is consignment. We agree rough pricing, and I get 1/3rd of sale price. That might sound skimpy, but I get my store orders/purchases at cost so it works out pretty generous. I also do some specialty work for that store.

The other store, I just send them some pics of current inventory and suggest 4 of these, 4 of those, 2 of these, 6 of those. They say great. The owner then eyeballs what I bring in and just says "250 in store credit for the batch?" I say perfect. Repeat a few months later.

Most of this stuff is medium value SPS from my original system. Plus some duncan, hammer, etc.
Thanks! sounds like a nice set up to me. Most of the cash I have gotten from frags goes back into reefing stuff anyways, so something like that would be interesting to me for sure. I'll have to stop out to my few good LFSs and see if they'd be interested in something similar. how did you go about getting into that? Just walk into the store with some pictures of your stuff and talk to the staff about it?

I do love selling/trading to local hobbyists and sure sure want to keep doing that to meet more reefers, but I tend to frag way more than I can sell/trade. I had one not so local fish store owner reach out to me and has driven to my place a couple of times, but is a 10 hour round trip for him so setting that up takes some effort for sure.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! sounds like a nice set up to me. Most of the cash I have gotten from frags goes back into reefing stuff anyways, so something like that would be interesting to me for sure. I'll have to stop out to my few good LFSs and see if they'd be interested in something similar. how did you go about getting into that? Just walk into the store with some pictures of your stuff and talk to the staff about it?

I do love selling/trading to local hobbyists and sure sure want to keep doing that to meet more reefers, but I tend to frag way more than I can sell/trade. I had one not so local fish store owner reach out to me and has driven to my place a couple of times, but is a 10 hour round trip for him so setting that up takes some effort for sure.

I've been a steady customer there for over a decade, so we know each other very well. I used to manage his coral systems part time and my son does now. The other store I've known for a long time. They are real hobbyists so we talk a lot when I am there.

Much of what I sell ends up going out to service client tanks. It is big chunky monti, slimer, stylo, etc.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just ask your local marine aquarium society president/ the guy that runs the local coral store

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the local stores will give you store credit. That being said not all equal amounts. We like to trade coral for coral. Some dry goods only have a 5% markup. I'm much less inclined to give you a whole lot if you want something that is going to cost me alot to replace while it takes me 6 months to sell all of the 50 birdsnest frags that you bring me (just an example).

Any store is going to much happier with a variety of things over allot of one thing. We intentionally try to only put out a few frags of any single thing at a time. When I dont have space left and I have alot of something is when they get moved to the $5 rack.

Realize that the store needs to make money off of your frags. There is alot of over head that goes into a retail store. You also need to keep in mind what the store can buy a colony for wholesale. If you walk in with 20 monti frags asking for $10 a frag and I can buy a colony for $50 that will make 20 frags Im not going to be excited to buy yours. Or stores that purchase premade frag packs at $10 a frag they are getting some high end frags in those packs that will beat out you bringing 20 of the same montis.

On the flip side if you are reasonable with your expectations and want in exchange things maybe that the store aquacultures themselves than it can work out well for both parties. In an ideal world I would rather sit at the store and have product walk in the door than to have to order it and go to the airport to pick it up and all of that.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just ask your local marine aquarium society president/ the guy that runs the local coral store
Any of the local stores will give you store credit. That being said not all equal amounts. We like to trade coral for coral. Some dry goods only have a 5% markup. I'm much less inclined to give you a whole lot if you want something that is going to cost me alot to replace while it takes me 6 months to sell all of the 50 birdsnest frags that you bring me (just an example).

Any store is going to much happier with a variety of things over allot of one thing. We intentionally try to only put out a few frags of any single thing at a time. When I dont have space left and I have alot of something is when they get moved to the $5 rack.

Realize that the store needs to make money off of your frags. There is alot of over head that goes into a retail store. You also need to keep in mind what the store can buy a colony for wholesale. If you walk in with 20 monti frags asking for $10 a frag and I can buy a colony for $50 that will make 20 frags Im not going to be excited to buy yours. Or stores that purchase premade frag packs at $10 a frag they are getting some high end frags in those packs that will beat out you bringing 20 of the same montis.

On the flip side if you are reasonable with your expectations and want in exchange things maybe that the store aquacultures themselves than it can work out well for both parties. In an ideal world I would rather sit at the store and have product walk in the door than to have to order it and go to the airport to pick it up and all of that.

Thank you for the suggestion and all of the additional info! very helpful and much appreciated! I see you're the 3RMAS president, I'll shoot you a DM :) I just joined 3RMAS at the beginning of the year, but haven't been able to attend any of the meetings yet with the world events going on and a newborn. I should be able to make it to the fragging workshop next month though. I'm pretty excited about it.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here in Morgantown WV. My wife and I are interested in what you have. We have a virgin new tank ready for coral. We basically are interested one piece(heads) of all that you have. Let me know. Thanks..
I can absolutely get that set up for you! I'll send you a DM now :)

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested, if you wanna send me a DM we can figure out everything

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a couple accidental frags of my Walt Disney colony while cleaning my display. They will need a week or so to heal before they are ready, but you can reserve them now if you'd like. Frag #1 is 3/4" and is $50, frag #2 is 3/8" and is $30. Both have great coloration.

IMG_20200829_142533~2.jpg IMG_20200829_142613~2.jpg IMG_20200829_142546~2.jpg IMG_20200829_142620~2.jpg IMG_20200829_144811~2.jpg IMG_20200829_144857~2.jpg

reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take the small WD if you still have it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back