Framing out basement, electrical and other recommendations

CanDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends. I am a new member. I have been out of the hobby for 15 years, I can't believe how things have changed! As I read the threads here, I'm sure that this community is not only the key to success but also a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to being a part of it and starting a build thread.

As our children get older and we need more space, we've finally gotten around to re-doing our basement. Everything (walls, ceiling, plumbing, electrical etc) is all open. The framing is in, as well as most of the plumbing and electrical systems are in, too. One of the things that we hope to have in our new family space is a nice sized (we're thinking 5 or 6 feet wide) reef tank. The reason for my post is to ask the members here what you would recommend we consider doing or not doing, as or space is under construction.

The wall that we would like the aquarium to be against separates the family room from a small storage room (think shelving for Christmas decorations etc). I may be able to use some of this space for part of our aquarium, too. So far, I have asked the electrician to install two 20 amp breakers. Each breaker has 4 outlets. Two of the outlets are in the wall around normal height while the other two outlets are in the ceiling, above the location of the tank. That is a total of four outlets in the wall and four outlets in the ceiling.

Would you recommend the breakers be gfci? Or would it be safer having gfci outlets? Will 4 wall outlets and 4 ceiling outlets be suffice? Do you think that the outlets in the ceiling will be useful or an eyesore?

What else would you recommend we consider doing as we are in the early stages of construction?

Would photos of the framed out space help? I was saving them for a build thread...

Thanks in advance. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and leaving your recommendations : )

mx36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a water source plumbed into the storage area for a RO/DI system, and if big enough get big water storage tanks for fresh water and another for mixing salt in. A utility sink is also nice to have close by. Makes cleaning filter socks, and equipment easier.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your lighting setup ceiling outlets should look fine, either way if they are the same color as the ceiling they won’t be that noticeable if not used. I would want more wall outlets though personally

I would add an Ethernet cable (or 2) so if you plan on getting a controller like an apex it can be hardwired instead of run over WiFi.

whether or not you should use gfci outlets or breakers, outlets within 6’ of water are supposed to be on a gfci protected circuit for safety, however the flip side of that is they fail or get tripped and you may not notice right away and it can kill your tank. There are things you can do minimize that risk like having a controller, battery backups and splitting up the electrical load between multiple circuits which you seem to be planning on.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the breakers be gfci?
Thats a good solution.

Or would it be safer having gfci outlets?
I'd rather have the gfci at the outlets. Or at least at the first outlet in a series. Just make sure the outlets will be accessible once you get a stand and tank in place. Nothing worse than trying to plug or unplug from an outlet tucked way in behind the stand. Maybe even consider a hole through the wall and have the outlets in the storage room.

Will 4 wall outlets and 4 ceiling outlets be suffice?
I would think so.

Do you think that the outlets in the ceiling will be useful or an eyesore?
Maybe and yes! ;Hilarious Maybe higher on the wall, like chest high and bunched together in a group?

Would photos of the framed out space help? I was saving them for a build thread...
Probably a good chance it would help. You can always use the photo again in the build thread.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe plan for a drain line plumbed to the return pump for easy water changes/draining of sump if possible to a nearby drain. That’s one of the best things I did was put a “tee” on my return plumbing with a valve so I can use my return pump to empty the sump.

Also, maybe have a 1/4” RO line ran if an Ro/di will be in another area.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a water source plumbed into the storage area for a RO/DI system, and if big enough get big water storage tanks for fresh water and another for mixing salt in. A utility sink is also nice to have close by. Makes cleaning filter socks, and equipment easier.
@mx36 has nailed it here. Plumb 2 X 1" inch water lines for sure. No buckets, no barrels.

I think you are good on outlet count. You can mount some smart power strips or APEX power bars.

I would split the two boxes across different breakers.

As to GFCIs, the smart folks and electricians (there are several on here) would say yes. Personally not a fan, but you should listen to them. At a minimum though, I would keep at least one powerhead separated from GFCI. @Brew12 aren't you an electrician?

Anyway, we are glad you are joining us. Welcome to R2R!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't say how big of a tank you are planning.
In my fish room I placed 2 circuits with 8 outlets each about 5 feet off the floor so anything plugged in naturally formed a drip loop. I also place 1 outlet facing into the room behind the tank on each circuit.
IMG_1085-M.jpg

There are 3 20 amp circuits here.

They are all full now and I could really use another one. The system has grown a bit over time

Also a sink and drain is a very nice thing to have. I went into the wall behind a bath and used the drains and water lines.

IMG_2496_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2500_heic-M.jpg

Overbuild, it will be hard to add more later.

I put T-11 siding on the walls. The thicker kind. I can screw stuff to the wall anywhere and it is water resistant.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done exactly this. I recommend GFI at the breaker. The outlet ones are more prone to failure, especially when your not home. I have my main return pump, heater and skimmer on one circuit and my Vortech, lights on another.that way if one goes down the tank still has water moving and some type of heat source. I also agree that running a sink and some ro line is a good idea, and a cable to hardwire an apex. Enjoy the build.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to GFCIs, the smart folks and electricians (there are several on here) would say yes. Personally not a fan, but you should listen to them. At a minimum though, I would keep at least one powerhead separated from GFCI. @Brew12 aren't you an electrician?
My business cards say Electrical Engineer, but I'll take Electrician!

Like the others, I agree GFCI, with a ground probe, and flow pumps split between multiple circuits. Within the next year I plan on upgrading my system and it will have 2 active return pumps and 2 heaters split between 2 GFCI's.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I always prefer 'local' GFCI (the actual outlets) rather than at the breaker …. or even multiple outlets controlled by one GFCI outlet. That way, if one pops it only affects the equipment on a single outlet. I have not found the outlet GFCIs to be unreliable frankly. If you think it likely that you will use the storage area for tank stuff, then I would add a third 20 amp circuit back there.

Not sure your ceiling outlets will be all that useful, though I suppose it depends a bit on the lighting you choose. I built a 'floating' canopy over my tank with an integrated trough for power bricks and cords so I only have a single cord running down behind the tank.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a simple tank with all the equipment under the stand, I would run 2 circuits to the area behind the tank, leave the wires long and not finish the drywall behind the tank. That was when you get the tank finalized you can put the outlets where the need to go, instead of moving them. And I have 6 outlets next to each other. And they are all filled, plus the 8 on the energy bar.

OP
OP
CanDo

CanDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you. I am going to discuss with the plumber.

OP
OP
CanDo

CanDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your lighting setup ceiling outlets should look fine, either way if they are the same color as the ceiling they won’t be that noticeable if not used. I would want more wall outlets though personally

I would add an Ethernet cable (or 2) so if you plan on getting a controller like an apex it can be hardwired instead of run over WiFi.

whether or not you should use gfci outlets or breakers, outlets within 6’ of water are supposed to be on a gfci protected circuit for safety, however the flip side of that is they fail or get tripped and you may not notice right away and it can kill your tank. There are things you can do minimize that risk like having a controller, battery backups and splitting up the electrical load between multiple circuits which you seem to be planning on.
I am absolutely planning on using an Apex type system. I just learned about them. I think it sounds like an incredible tool. I love the idea of the ethernet cable instead of the wifi. Thank you. From what I understand, the Apex is also a multi-plug power strip? Would I need more than 4 outlets and a power strip? (I know... rather look at it than look for it) cheers!

OP
OP
CanDo

CanDo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My business cards say Electrical Engineer, but I'll take Electrician!

Like the others, I agree GFCI, with a ground probe, and flow pumps split between multiple circuits. Within the next year I plan on upgrading my system and it will have 2 active return pumps and 2 heaters split between 2 GFCI's.
@Brew12 , thank you for your opinion. Would you recommend gfci breakers or installing a gfci outlet as the 1st outlet after each breaker? Cheers

rtbell1771

Ummm, yep, it's supposed to look like that...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in 2 separate 20A circuits on GFCI breakers behind my new tank and have a third 20A circuit on a GFCI receptacle on the adjacent corner. I am an electrician and I agree that the GFCI receptacles are reliable... but if one trips behind the tank... good luck getting to it. They are designed to trip at 5mA to protect people from hazardous current. I would highly recommend putting just those receptacles behind the tank that are not easily accessible on a GFCI breaker. Mark them clearly in your panel and IF you have an issue, you'll know right where to go. For any receptacle that is readily accessible, go right ahead and put a GFCI receptacle there. I also highly recommend getting a grounding probe for your tank and sump...nothing with copper in or on it.
And yes to all the plumbing ideas mentioned above. Good luck, welcome to the club.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely planning on using an Apex type system. I just learned about them. I think it sounds like an incredible tool. I love the idea of the ethernet cable instead of the wifi. Thank you. From what I understand, the Apex is also a multi-plug power strip? Would I need more than 4 outlets and a power strip? (I know... rather look at it than look for it) cheers!

It depends, more outlets and multiple circuits are awesome and imo necessary for a tank to have some sort of redundancy, but yes the apex is an 8 outlet controllable power strip on steroids. But not every thing in your tank needs to be controlled necessarily. Lights, pumps, etc lots of them depending on brand have their own “apps” to program and control them. Apex or other controllers are so much more than powerstrips with what they can do. Truly amazing stuff in the hobby these days.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 , thank you for your opinion. Would you recommend gfci breakers or installing a gfci outlet as the 1st outlet after each breaker? Cheers
It depends on your setup. For my old Apex system when I only used one controllable power strip, I had 4 separate GFCi's that plugged into the power strip.
With my current system, I use 2 separate receptacles and have a controllable power strip plugged into each one so can split my loads that way.
If you aren't using a controller, breakers have a real advantage.

Back