Free Ammonia after RO, Safe to Use?

AllShamNoWow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reef. Have a quick question about acceptable chloramine and ammonia levels coming out of an RO filter.

I'm using a 4 stage RO filter only (No DI) and testing finished water quality for chloramine and ammonia, and testing using an API saltwater test kit. Currently reading somewhere between 0ppm and 0.25ppm ammonia on the test kit after a successful test. That must mean that there is still some chloramine in the water at trace levels.

The RO filter is currently using a polypropylene sediment filter in the first stage of the RO filter, and two of these Rainfresh cartridges in the second and fourth stage (RO membrane is the third stage).

Is this water acceptable to use for a reef tank? If not, what do I need to do in order to bring the free ammonia and chloramine to 0 ppm.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things.
The api kits normally give a false .25ppm positive.
Also, its meant for saltwater not fresh water.

To test for chloramines, youll want a total and free chlorine test kit.

If you test for total chlorine then free, the difference between the two is your chloramine.
If no difference, your city uses chlorine.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reef. Have a quick question about acceptable chloramine and ammonia levels coming out of an RO filter.

I'm using a 4 stage RO filter only (No DI) and testing finished water quality for chloramine and ammonia, and testing using an API saltwater test kit. Currently reading somewhere between 0ppm and 0.25ppm ammonia on the test kit after a successful test. That must mean that there is still some chloramine in the water at trace levels.

The RO filter is currently using a polypropylene sediment filter in the first stage of the RO filter, and two of these Rainfresh cartridges in the second and fourth stage (RO membrane is the third stage).

Is this water acceptable to use for a reef tank? If not, what do I need to do in order to bring the free ammonia and chloramine to 0 ppm.
Ammonia is a byproduct of your fish breathing. I'd purchase a TDS meter and measure what your TDS is - generally reef tanks want 0 TDS, this ensures you have nothing but H20. Can you get away with some TDS? Yes but unless you know what it is who knows?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is a byproduct of your fish breathing. I'd purchase a TDS meter and measure what your TDS is - generally reef tanks want 0 TDS, this ensures you have nothing but H20. Can you get away with some TDS? Yes but unless you know what it is who knows?
You can test for chloramines in RO using an ammonia test kit but API notoriously has a .25ppm false positive. Which is not a very accurate way of testing for chloramines.

Also, you can have chloramines get past RO and DI while still testing 0tds.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test for chloramines in RO using an ammonia test kit but API notoriously has a .25ppm false positive. Which is not a very accurate way of testing for chloramines.

Also, you can have chloramines get past RO and DI while still testing 0tds.
Thank you this is new information for me.

Back