FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

• YES

Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an amazing, most awesome friend some of you may know who goes by the name of @Crabs McJones who is mailing me a nice bag of chaeto for FREE and it got me thinking! This hobby is expensive enough, and I'm not complaining, but it's nice to be able to give and receive stuff at no cost! So let's talk about that today!

1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Untitled-5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dont count your chickens before they hatch, I haven't mailed it out yet ;Hilarious;Hilarious

I can blot your name out in seconds like you never existed!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would however like to add in my new friend @Reef-Tank for help with corals. @HotRocks sent me a care package when my fish were sick. @revhtree for all you've given me. And @4FordFamily for all his love. @Crabby48 helped me out with lighting.
There are too many to list. There are just so many awesome people in this hobby willing to help others.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those new to the hobby they may be shocked to learn there was a time frags were free. Even from stores sometimes. Piece of colony broke off in transit? Just take it...

Generally I will trade frags still but if a friend has nothing to trade I would prefer to give it to them and they can either give me something later or never. The supplemental T5's I have on my tank right now I got for free. I've been given tanks, and other random equipment.

I certainly will try and sell most used equipment I get rid of, but there are also times where I'll give it away for free. Most recent example was someone looking for RO canisters. I had extra ones sitting in my shed I'm never going to use. A couple of years back I saw someone trying to bargain with someone online over a cracked tank they wanted for a reptile. I got them to take my 180 for free instead, and when the guy tried to offer me money I told him I should be paying you to take it since I never would have moved it out to throw out.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our local TCMAS forum we have a sub-forum named Frag It Forward...where we start posts giving away the items, fish, chaeto, corals, rocks, testing kits etc. that we don't need or think someone else could use more.

I've picked up corals, qt tanks, hob skimmer w/o pump, coral magazines, airline tubing, cleaner magnet etc.
This really helps jump start those just getting in the hobby or those on a budget as well as free up space for those looking to get rid of things and don't know where to start or who to contact or where to try to sell/give it away.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

AEFW, aptasia, turf algae’s are the first 3 that I can think of.

But the good things included fish, frags, an acrylic tank, Metal Halide pendants (thank you LEDs) and I know I’m not remembering half of the blessings I’ve been given.

Advice, especially here at Reef2Reef!

ThatTennesseeBeardedGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently received a full 125 gallon tank for free after my boss got a divorce and just said, here you like this stuff, I just don't want my ex to have it. Came with stand and tons of resell-able items that I didn't need!

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I definitely vote @Crabs McJones he's is a nice friend i have met in this hobby even he gave me a free entire tank setup and also really helped me ideas with my new setup coming this is best friend ever!!! Very friendly!!! :) Thanks so much @Crabs McJones

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @revhtree ever pays for anything tank related since he has thousands of vendor contacts. Lololololololololol

Prob eats Christmas Dinner at Ryan Batcheller's house. Lololololololololol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can blot your name out in seconds like you never existed!
FYI...…. when you get it, the little speckles aren't pods..... theyre
1582043762964.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our local TCMAS forum we have a sub-forum named Frag It Forward...where we start posts giving away the items, fish, chaeto, corals, rocks, testing kits etc. that we don't need or think someone else could use more.

I've picked up corals, qt tanks, hob skimmer w/o pump, coral magazines, airline tubing, cleaner magnet etc.
This really helps jump start those just getting in the hobby or those on a budget as well as free up space for those looking to get rid of things and don't know where to start or who to contact or where to try to sell/give it away.
I’ll be at the meeting on Saturday. It’ll be my first so I’m pretty pumped about it.

Back