FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

• YES

Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do maintenance/installs on lots of higher end setups so I get gifted plenty of used equipment for free when clients want to upgrade.

Favorite so far is a 144 oceanic half circle tank with a pair of radions. Will be rebuilding the stand and doing a build thread once that gets underway.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been fortunate to say that I have received a couple things lately (And the only times) and am forever thankful!! The first one was from @MrWheelock when he got me my Hanna Copper Checker as a "Good Luck" when I started up my QT Business (FisHotel) and have used it countless times already! The other was from @Bulk Reef Supply when I won a trip down to ReefaPalooza this year!! I can't tell you how excited me and my wife are to make our way down and see everything as it will be our first show! This hobby is filled with a lot of kind people and I have be blessed to meet many of them!

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks, lights, live rocks, sand, crushed coral, salt, fish, pumps, corals, macro algae... also have bought some second hand equipment for practically nothing. and I still feel like I'm understocked with all that free or low cost stuff and the new equipment I've bought.

I saw a funny comedy stand up on Netflix not too long ago. guy was talking about Amazon NOW!! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!

Last edited:

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B4 I moved to Texas I had a lfs that was very good to me never upsold me always gave me good advice and would refuse to sell me anything that wasn’t compatible!
I miss socal and my friends in the hobby there
Well this store owner would regularly give me free filtration units hang in back or canister that he got as promos and tell me to see how I like them and if they work good he would put some on the shelves
And this may not been free but I had other store owners who would frag the smallest pieces of coral for me in order to allow me to spend $5-10 instead of $60-100 lol
Most lfs I know would t pt in that effort
I love this hobby and how people can teach share and enjoy it together and love to help others in any way I can be it free coral or equipment I’m not using
I gave my daughters friend a 60 cube full set up cuz I want using it any more it was only 2 years old but he is now hooked in the hobby and I know it was worth it bringing him in to the fold

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an amazing, most awesome friend some of you may know who goes by the name of @Crabs McJones who is mailing me a nice bag of chaeto for FREE and it got me thinking! This hobby is expensive enough, and I'm not complaining, but it's nice to be able to give and receive stuff at no cost! So let's talk about that today!

1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Untitled-5.jpg
@revhtree and @4FordFamily why dont you share some pictures of the chaeto you recieved ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fortunate enough to have won a Focustronic 1 led light when they first came out I liked that much I then bought another one. I had a few soft corals which were growing like weeds in my tank so any reef keeper who visited always ended up with at least 1or 2 plastic bags with young corals to take home and as for cheato I will give it to anyone who wants it and I even pay the postage same as bits of old pumps etc I will give them away and pay the postage upto £5 and all I say to them is "its free and postage paid upto £5 and all I ask is you do the same at a later date" the costs of this hobby is dear enough so if we can't pass a bit of friendship and kindness towards each other it's time we did. The bits I would have thrown out a D yes the corals I could have sold them to lfs but they would treble the what they paid minimum and the lads would have being paying silly money for something I could have given them.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a free Reefer 170 on a partner drive contest here in... 2016? Maybe 2017!

Reef2Reef chose me!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in Karma, I give free stuff away all the time, I hate haggling prices, so if I don't need it, I give it away. I've given tanks away, skimmers, hanna checkers, few months back an MP40 and MP10, tons of livestock, drygoods. I give my time away for free to those that need something made from acrylic, 3d printed etc. I'm about to help a friend frame in a fish room for his new 450g. I mean that's the point of a hobby.

But on the flip, I get a lot of stuff for free. Designer corals, reactors, pumps, test kits. I can probably go on and on.

Bottom line, this is a hobby, not a business, I enjoy it, and I enjoy helping out in any way I can. To Quote Pluto, "Goorsh, I'd give you the shirt right off my back!"

TheTangFuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten anything free but I also have never personally met anyone else in the hobby. The main reason I joined R2R was in Hope's of finding a local club but seems that was a bust as well lol
Well I'm about an hour and a half from you! I can't find anything local either lol. I just got into the hobby.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back