FREE TEST for 300W Submersible Aquarium Heater

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this is often the case, and I'm not denying that at all, it is not always the case. Try reading my reviews regarding the IBS-P01R Floating Pool Thermometer. I have been absolutely brutal on this item. Not once have they turned me away or my reviews. In fact they have welcomed my criticisms and have been working on improving this product. They did in fact "invite" me to duplicate my tests on another thermometer with some attempted improvements. I demolished that one pretty quickly. Still they welcomed my input about it and are back at the drawing board working on improvements that will stand up to what I do to it. If this extra research and development (unpaid I might add) helps Inkbird to create a superior product then that is a plus for us end users. While there are many unscrupulous venders that require a five star review to be reimbursed, not once did Inkbird designate what kind of review had to be given to them for reimbursement (and yes, you did say this). Asking for honest reviews to improve their products is a good thing and I wish other manufacturers would take note and do the same.
There is a huge difference between asking people to test a product and taking their reviews for internal product development or quality assurance and soliciting and paying for product reviews on an online marketplace or consumer review aggregator.

They are essentially paying people to post ‘verified purchase’ reviews with no mention whatsoever that the review was solicited and the reviewer compensated. And it’s not even like they reached out to people who bought their product and asked if they’d give their honest review, they are soliciting people to buy the product with their own money, requiring that they leave a ‘verified purchase’ review, and then reimbursing them for the price of the product. Its against Amazon’s ToS (in fact I think they even fine companies a substantial amount of money for doing, IIRC it’s like $10k, for the first time they get caught, the second time they get kicked off the platform - and while I didn’t report them, this is, just from what I’m aware of, their second time doing this just here on this forum), and for good reason, they are inherently dishonest, inorganic reviews. Amazon reviews aren’t used to improve products internally (I’m sure it happens, but that’s not the main purpose), they are used to sell products. And regardless if you personally have left honest reviews when you were compensated, you can’t say that compensated reviews on a product review site, especially when the compensation isn’t made clear, are honest or that they aren’t compromised.

I worked in market research for a lot of years, I wrote surveys, aggregated data, and taught interviewers how to get as unbiased data as possible, and I can tell you that the way people answer questions and the opinions they give are incredibly easy to lead or sway one way or the other, it’s almost a subconscious thing. What that experience taught me is that it is basically impossible for solicited, compensated reviews to be completely, 100% honest. I’m not saying you’re being dishonest about your perception of how you reviewed things, but I’m willing to bet that your review would not have been the same had you not been compensated. Even if the main points were the same, the way you would word it and your tone would be different. And when you’re writing reviews that other customers use to make a purchase decision, that difference in word choice or tone matters, even if the basic points of your review would’ve been the same

I don’t really know what else to say, other than I think it’s messed up that the admins here are allowing companies that sponsor the site to mine the users here for this kind of thing. And it’s something that they’ve been made aware of. The last time Inkbird was soliciting reviews like this, they sent me a PM asking if I was interested in testing their product, I said sure. Then they send me the details, and I reply that I don’t want to be involved in their scheme. I then made a post about it, and the general consensus was that it was wrong, the Admins said they would deal with it and then closed the thread. The next day I got another PM from Inkbird asking if I was still interested. So, either nothing was done, or the admins didn’t care because they were a new sponsor at the time.

I know some people will say ‘who cares, it’s a free heater’, and I get it, but it’s wrong on multiple levels, there’s just no getting around the fact that it’s an unethical practice.

Last edited:

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to test it out too. I've got 2 large tanks that I can use it to compare my current heater with.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an inkbird controller attached to 2 BRS titanium 300W heaters. Been working good for the past 6 months. Just this week, for no reason its keeping my tank temp at 79F instead of the previous 77-78F that it had been consistently. Will be willing to give it a try.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a huge difference between asking people to test a product and taking their reviews for internal product development or quality assurance and soliciting and paying for product reviews on an online marketplace or consumer review aggregator.

They are essentially paying people to post ‘verified purchase’ reviews with no mention whatsoever that the review was solicited and the reviewer compensated. And it’s not even like they reached out to people who bought their product and asked if they’d give their honest review, they are soliciting people to buy the product with their own money, requiring that they leave a ‘verified purchase’ review, and then reimbursing them for the price of the product. Its against Amazon’s ToS (in fact I think they even fine companies a substantial amount of money for doing, IIRC it’s like $10k, for the first time they get caught, the second time they get kicked off the platform - and while I didn’t report them, this is, just from what I’m aware of, their second time doing this just here on this forum), and for good reason, they are inherently dishonest, inorganic reviews. Amazon reviews aren’t used to improve products internally (I’m sure it happens, but that’s not the main purpose), they are used to sell products. And regardless if you personally have left honest reviews when you were compensated, you can’t say that compensated reviews on a product review site, especially when the compensation isn’t made clear, are honest or that they aren’t compromised.

I worked in market research for a lot of years, I wrote surveys, aggregated data, and taught interviewers how to get as unbiased data as possible, and I can tell you that the way people answer questions and the opinions they give are incredibly easy to lead or sway one way or the other, it’s almost a subconscious thing. What that experience taught me is that it is basically impossible for solicited, compensated reviews to be completely, 100% honest. I’m not saying you’re being dishonest about your perception of how you reviewed things, but I’m willing to bet that your review would not have been the same had you not been compensated. Even if the main points were the same, the way you would word it and your tone would be different. And when you’re writing reviews that other customers use to make a purchase decision, that difference in word choice or tone matters, even if the basic points of your review would’ve been the same

I don’t really know what else to say, other than I think it’s messed up that the admins here are allowing companies that sponsor the site to mine the users here for this kind of thing. And it’s something that they’ve been made aware of. The last time Inkbird was soliciting reviews like this, they sent me a PM asking if I was interested in testing their product, I said sure. Then they send me the details, and I reply that I don’t want to be involved in their scheme. I then made a post about it, and the general consensus was that it was wrong, the Admins said they would deal with it and then closed the thread. The next day I got another PM from Inkbird asking if I was still interested. So, either nothing was done, or the admins didn’t care because they were a new sponsor at the time.

I know some people will say ‘who cares, it’s a free heater’, and I get it, but it’s wrong on multiple levels, there’s just no getting around the fact that it’s an unethical practice.
Asking for honest reviews is exactly what Inkbird has done. Improving the product is exactly what is happening here. I choose to help instead of complain. Again, unlike other dealers on Amazon, Inkbird did not stipulate that a 5 star rating had to be given. A "verified purchase" review is not guaranteed to be 5 stars. This could totally blow up in their face if everyone left a bad review, which is a very real possibility. When Inkbird "solicited" you, did they stipulate that it had to be a 5 star review? Did you just assume that? Be honest.
As far as being "willing to bet" that my review would not be the same if I wasn't being compensated, you lost that bet! (Time to pay up. ;)) First of all, I have not been compensated for the initial thermometer. The second thermometer was given to me for continued testing of an attempted improved model, contrary to your statement of "Amazon reviews aren’t used to improve products internally". Secondly, I worked for forty years in an engineering laboratory doing research and development/qualification testing for aerospace control systems. I have had all of my bosses, the biggest of the big aerospace companies, the military and NASA all ticked at me at one time or another because things didn't go as planned and the bad news came from me. Through that I have learned that one does not have to be cold hearted in the wording of the test results. After all, the design engineers are live human beings who have just seen their work fail. There's no need to hit them while they're down.
I say there is nothing wrong with companies asking for HONEST reviews. It is up to the reviewers to be honest. If that results in more good reviews then so be it. As a market research person you should be well aware of how lopsided the review system is against the manufacturers. After all, we all see how quickly people are to complain than to say something good.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW RELEASED!

Hey reefers, we got some new hits to the shelves! We are going to put the 300W Submersible Aquarium Heater for FREE TEST on R2R.
We truly look forward to receiving your valuable feedback about this new product for continuous improvement.

Product link: https://amzn.to/2T4ech2

To sign up - Like and comment on this thread. ;Joyful I'll send you a PM.

(Only available for the USA now;Cold)

1英规-970-300.jpg
I would love to try this

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW RELEASED!

Hey reefers, we got some new hits to the shelves! We are going to put the 300W Submersible Aquarium Heater for FREE TEST on R2R.
We truly look forward to receiving your valuable feedback about this new product for continuous improvement.

Product link: https://amzn.to/2T4ech2

To sign up - Like and comment on this thread. ;Joyful I'll send you a PM.

(Only available for the USA now;Cold)

1英规-970-300.jpg
I will give it a try - I was about to buy BRS titanium heater.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for honest reviews is exactly what Inkbird has done. Improving the product is exactly what is happening here. I choose to help instead of complain. Again, unlike other dealers on Amazon, Inkbird did not stipulate that a 5 star rating had to be given. A "verified purchase" review is not guaranteed to be 5 stars. This could totally blow up in their face if everyone left a bad review, which is a very real possibility. When Inkbird "solicited" you, did they stipulate that it had to be a 5 star review? Did you just assume that? Be honest.
As far as being "willing to bet" that my review would not be the same if I wasn't being compensated, you lost that bet! (Time to pay up. ;)) First of all, I have not been compensated for the initial thermometer. The second thermometer was given to me for continued testing of an attempted improved model, contrary to your statement of "Amazon reviews aren’t used to improve products internally". Secondly, I worked for forty years in an engineering laboratory doing research and development/qualification testing for aerospace control systems. I have had all of my bosses, the biggest of the big aerospace companies, the military and NASA all ticked at me at one time or another because things didn't go as planned and the bad news came from me. Through that I have learned that one does not have to be cold hearted in the wording of the test results. After all, the design engineers are live human beings who have just seen their work fail. There's no need to hit them while they're down.
I say there is nothing wrong with companies asking for HONEST reviews. It is up to the reviewers to be honest. If that results in more good reviews then so be it. As a market research person you should be well aware of how lopsided the review system is against the manufacturers. After all, we all see how quickly people are to complain than to say something good.
All I have to say is honest reviews are earned, not bought. And you’re right, positive reviews are much harder to get than negative reviews (people who have a bad experience are more likely to report it than those who have a positive experience, duh), which is why this is so unethical (if all companies just bought their reviews, reviews would be meaningless). Here’s the truth, if they were interested in getting honest feedback to improve their product, they would solicit interested people here (or people who have purchased and registered other Inkbird products), send them the product directly, and then have them fill out a detailed survey on their experience using the product. Instead, they are asking people to buy the product and then reimburse them once they leave a ‘verified purchase’ review. This is a well known scheme that companies use to game the review system on Amazon, so much so that Amazon banned the practice, actively looks for companies that do this and punishes those that are caught, and even refers extreme cases to the FTC for misleading consumers. That you’re even trying to argue that this an honest attempt to get feedback about a new product is laughably absurd (is that you, Inkbird?).

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, this isn't Inkbird. This is me! Have you even read my review? Getting honest feedback is exactly what has occurred. Try owning a business (I own two) then maybe you will understand.:rolleyes:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back