FREE TEST of IOAOI In-Sump Protein Skimmer, DC Pump with Controller, 120-160 Gals Tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the overall consensus thus far?
Genuinely very happy with it. Comparable in performance to my reef octopus int150 classic but quieter, smaller, and more controllable while pulling significantly more air.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After a week of running it's still going strong! I have it running with the air full open and the motor intensity on 5. I'm pulling good, nasty brown skimmate. The one thing I would consider is a bigger skimmer cup. It works good for me but I like to run a dryer skim.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week of running it's still going strong! I have it running with the air full open and the motor intensity on 5. I'm pulling good, nasty brown skimmate. The one thing I would consider is a bigger skimmer cup. It works good for me but I like to run a dryer skim.
I agree on skimmer cup size. It's a very consistent pull of skimmate compared to the ro int150 classic, but the cup fills up in around half the time as the cup is around half the size. The little rubber release valve is nice though for draining the cup without any mess which helps.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree on skimmer cup size. It's a very consistent pull of skimmate compared to the ro int150 classic, but the cup fills up in around half the time as the cup is around half the size. The little rubber release valve is nice though for draining the cup without any mess which helps.
And the drain hose! My Curve 7 has a small piece of tubing that I could install a valve on but no valve was included.

OP
OP
IOAOI

IOAOI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The pump is a powerful horse. And the new design of the base makes it more effective. So it highlights that the collection cup is not big enough. But bigger collection cup requires bigger footprint. That's a little paradoxical. We’ll work on it.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The pump is a powerful horse. And the new design of the base makes it more effective. So it highlights that the collection cup is not big enough. But bigger collection cup requires bigger footprint. That's a little paradoxical. We’ll work on it.
Like I said, it works for me because I like the dry skim!

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
c79c7e2068814fd980ab8b477ec1a4e0.jpeg

After getting a swap from Amazon due to the water level tube being defective, I can say I'm quite impressed by the amount of skimmate this thing pulls. This is a picture after 3.5 days of skimming. I'm still fine tuning this as it dials in since I prefer my skimmate on the drier side. Will post an update on the next cleaning. Overall, great bang for your buck. Build quality is very nice, it's quiet and pulls nasty skimmate. Recommended to anyone who's looking for a budget friendly skimmer!

Last edited:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I forgot to post the other day! Still running great. The break in period is definitely over, I had to turn the flow and intensity up. Still pulling nasty brown sludge. I'm definitely impressed. I feel like it does a better job and is way more controllable than my old Curve 7.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to post the other day! Still running great. The break in period is definitely over, I had to turn the flow and intensity up. Still pulling nasty brown sludge. I'm definitely impressed. I feel like it does a better job and is way more controllable than my old Curve 7.
My skimmate has darkened up. I will admit it smells way worse than the skimmate from my previous skimmer.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My skimmate has darkened up. I will admit it smells way worse than the skimmate from my previous skimmer.
I think that's a good sign. My skimmate rarely smelled bad in the Curve and there wasn't a lot of sludge down in the neck/body of the Curve even after running for 8 months. This one has been running for a few weeks and is already sludging up in the neck. That's a good sign that it's pulling the junk out!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer works really well overall but mine was very hard to adjust. The knob is very hard to turn thus making it difficult to dial in. I had to hold the unit tight with one hand while trying to turn the knob. I think it was cross threaded from the factory. There is no way to remove it to get it right. I have since removed it and gone back to my other skimmer. If you're on a budget this skimmer does the job very well. It will still get used as a backup and when I pull the main one out for a deep clean. For half the price of anything comparable it gets the job done for sure. The only design issue for me is the intake is on the bottom instead of the side like we are used to. I keep a clean up crew in my sump and occasionally a crab or snail would get sucked up and block the pump. I realize this probably won't be an issue for most people though.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The skimmer works really well overall but mine was very hard to adjust. The knob is very hard to turn thus making it difficult to dial in. I had to hold the unit tight with one hand while trying to turn the knob. I think it was cross threaded from the factory. There is no way to remove it to get it right. I have since removed it and gone back to my other skimmer. If you're on a budget this skimmer does the job very well. It will still get used as a backup and when I pull the main one out for a deep clean. For half the price of anything comparable it gets the job done for sure.
Did you contact them? Mine came disassembled and I installed that part. I'm pretty sure it's able to be removed.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you contact them? Mine came disassembled and I installed that part. I'm pretty sure it's able to be removed.
The adjustment knob on mine was already assembled. All I had to do was attach the tubing and clip the air adjustment onto the side of the knob adjustment deal. Maybe it was an Amazon return? It feels like it's stripped maybe turns easy for a bit and then jams up. Can't complain too much about a free skimmer

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello family members of R2R,
We're launching a FREE TEST of IOAOI big skimmer on R2R. US only.
This is an in sump skimmer which has a very special base design.
We truly look forward to receiving your objective and detailed feedback.
To sign up - Like & comment on this thread.
Don't forget to post a pic of your beautiful tank.
We'll send you a PM.
LOL :star-struck:

51OvBfYVqnL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
Perfect I'll give it a try i have a 12x12 area in my sump where the water level is at 9in I'd like to try it out my total water volume is 115g

20230411_181048.jpg 20230411_181213.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
IOAOI

IOAOI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The adjustment knob on mine was already assembled. All I had to do was attach the tubing and clip the air adjustment onto the side of the knob adjustment deal. Maybe it was an Amazon return? It feels like it's stripped maybe turns easy for a bit and then jams up. Can't complain too much about a free skimmer
Can you please send us a video of the trouble you mentioned? We'll get our engineers work on it. Thanks.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I’m assuming it’s too late, I’d love to try this out on my system. I’ll soon be upgrading and I think it’ll help quite a bit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back