Freebie Coral, is it viable?

Kaljaxias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received this green Stylo for free the other day. I have it in the sand and am wondering if it’s a viable specimen. Some arms are white as a few look dark healthy and fuzzy. Not sure what kind of shape this guy is in. Any help would be appreciated.

0831714F-2BF0-4477-96A5-4388E3EE582A.jpeg

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylo was my first SPS frag, and I got it necrosis almost 80% leaving only 0.5 cm healthy tissue at one branch.
And 2 months later it came back alive.

Don't throw away a stylo even when it looks almost died, under the right condition it will grow back. That is a one hardy coral.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pocillopora. Don’t give up hope on it. I had one that died almost a year ago. Until I noticed a nub from polyp bailout growing on a powerhead last month. Keep decent flow on it, nothing crazy but make sure the polyps routinely move. You have a very good chance of it making assuming your tank is in good shape.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pocillopora. Don’t give up hope on it. I had one that died almost a year ago. Until I noticed a nub from polyp bailout growing on a powerhead last month. Keep decent flow on it, nothing crazy but make sure the polyps routinely move. You have a very good chance of it making assuming your tank is in good shape.
It does look like that and careful with them cause they spawn when stressed and you will have them all over your tank.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible, but to be clear, they don’t typically spawn. That term is improperly used about 99% of the time. It’s polyp bailout whereas an actually polyp bails from the skeleton to become a free living independent organism that then settles and regrows.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back