Freeze Dried Mysis Shrimp - Reviews Wanted

Another Newbie Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone purchased/used freeze dried mysis shrimp from BRS (or anyone else)? I have the frozen cubes from ocean nutrition, but tank is small so it takes 3-4 feedings to use a single cube. My fish/corals love mysis, I usually end up wasting half of the cube.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freeze dried is a pain and I question if there is a loss of nutrients due to the freeze dried process. Not to mention how long have they been on the shelf. I either cut cubes in half and freeze them in a tupperware or ziplock bag until I can use them. Sometimes I just mix up a couple cubes in a sealed container with RODI and use it over a couple days. That way I can feed accordingly. No issues with spoiling either.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember if I ever fed the Mysis specifically, but I stopped buying freeze dried foods a long time ago. I could never get my fish to take them, and always wound up throwing an almost full container away.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the BRS mysis. All my fish eat it including an anthias that wont touch pellets/flakes. It's kind of a hassle to use though. It takes forever to rehydrate and even after 24 hours it's still pretty buoyant. I have to turn my return pump off or else the majority of it goes right into the overflow.

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using small pellets, freeze dried blood worms, frozen cocktail shrimp and a flar slab of frozen myisis shrimp. Everything in my tank loves everything i fed it. And because i only have a small amount of fish, i just make small chunks and shavings that get gobbled up real quick

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve gathered, most people use them to soak in a liquid enrichment before feeding. I never saw the point of freeze dried other than that.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember if I ever fed the Mysis specifically, but I stopped buying freeze dried foods a long time ago. I could never get my fish to take them, and always wound up throwing an almost full container away.
+1 on this. I have tried them in the past and I never saw a fish eat them. Not sure why they are even available.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back