Freezing Baby Brine Shrimp

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am wanting to start freezing BBS for my fish. I was wondering if you could freeze them with a little selcon or is it better to just add it fresh post thawing. I've read that you just hatch, strain, rinse, add a little water, and pippet them in the cube molds or what every shape I'm using. Is that what you use or what method would you use? Also, if I don't want to keep them in the cube molds, how do I store them so they don't get freezer burnt because my freezer loves to do that sadly. I've even tried with wrapping frozen foods with paper bags on the ones I buy at the stores. Would using styrofoam boxes work like you can get with fish bait? If I were to feed BBS live to the fish, do I just soak them in selcon for the nutrient boost?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking in selcon would be a waste of time imo. It would be more effective soaking pellets. Something that can actually absorb it.

Freezer burn is dehydration, loss of moisture from the item. You need air tight packaging to prevent it, preferable vacuum packed. It takes a few months though to become a problem with poor packaging. I'd probably use something like lock and lock containers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back