Fresh LIVE Phyto 8-Species Blend – FREE SHIPPING

Derek1078

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to purchase a 16oz bottle. What are dosing instructions? Recommend place to buy pods as well? Just getting started in this world of saltwater reefing. Have had a mixed lps/softie tank for 2.5 years and looking to up my game into sps.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello! You’re at an exciting point in the hobby. I think you will find the phyto to be very helpful. I’ll send you a PM as soon as I get back to my computer in a couple of hours. Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sold out for this week. I will harvest tonight and ship tomorrow. Thanks for the orders everyone!

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’d like to purchase a 16oz bottle. What are dosing instructions? Recommend place to buy pods as well? Just getting started in this world of saltwater reefing. Have had a mixed lps/softie tank for 2.5 years and looking to up my game into sps.

I sent you a PM, but thought I would answer your dosing questions here so that others can see it too.

It is pretty difficult to overdose live phyto. In short, almost any amount added on a consistent basis will be beneficial. The organisms that consume it will grow and multiply to a point of equilibrium. This will be very beneficial to the system. The phyto feeds some organisms (including some corals) directly, and other organisms and corals consume the increased pods, offspring, and microorganisms that multiply because of the increased phytoplankton available. The phyto also consumes nutrients until it is consumed itself.

Having said that, I usually recommend starting to dose at 3ml/10gallons of system volume per day. This will actually give you more phyto cells than most other brands because I grow and ship the phyto at much denser levels than most growers. As you observe, you can increase this amount by several times if you want (my smallest system is a 40 breeder with 20 sump, and I dose about 150ml/day). Or, a smaller amount would be okay too.

Fresh live phyto will keep for quite a while in the fridge. It is best to give it a gentle shake once a day. For the first month, there really isn’t any noticeable change. During the second month, the motile cells become less active, but there is still a fair amount of activity. By the end of the third month, there isn’t really any activity, but the cells are still intact. If a new culture is started with the three-month old sample, it will grow and some of the cells will be motile. So, using the phyto within a month would be ideal, within two months is fine, and even three months is probably okay.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Dave

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All of the orders have shipped. Everyone should have received an email with a tracking number. Please let me know if there are any problems.

TAKING ORDERS FOR NEXT WEEK.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I will harvest eight (or nine) species of phyto and blend them Monday evening. I will ship USPS priority mail on Tuesday. Sizes, prices, and information are in the first post. Please let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to start by saying thank you for my latest order. Your Phyto blows the competition out of the water! Seriously deep green healthy cultures!

It is best to give it a gentle shake once a day.

Admittedly, I am an over thinker. Have a follow up question here, in your opinion can you over shake/mix a culture? I have mine set up to auto dose on a mixing plate. Currently it mixes for 2 minutes/twice daily right before it doses.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wanted to start by saying thank you for my latest order. Your Phyto blows the competition out of the water! Seriously deep green healthy cultures!

Admittedly, I am an over thinker. Have a follow up question here, in your opinion can you over shake/mix a culture? I have mine set up to auto dose on a mixing plate. Currently it mixes for 2 minutes/twice daily right before it doses.

Glad you're happy! Thanks for the feedback.

It would be pretty hard to over shake it. I keep my stock cultures on an orbital shaker and shake them for a couple of minutes every hour or two, and the growing cultures have constant aeration.

What I'm not sure about is if the mixing bar would damage the cells or not. I don't have a mixing plate, but I assume it is a magnetic stirrer with the small bar inside the container? If so, I don't know if the cells could get "crushed" between the bar and the container. If you have access to a microscope, you could take a look and see if the cells are staying intact or getting crushed. If you get a chance, let me know what you find out -someone else might want to do what you are doing.

An alternative might be to hook up an airline and have the air pump turn on now and then. It probably won't mix as well, but would probably be adequate.

Good luck. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you're happy! Thanks for the feedback.

It would be pretty hard to over shake it. I keep my stock cultures on an orbital shaker and shake them for a couple of minutes every hour or two, and the growing cultures have constant aeration.

What I'm not sure about is if the mixing bar would damage the cells or not. I don't have a mixing plate, but I assume it is a magnetic stirrer with the small bar inside the container? If so, I don't know if the cells could get "crushed" between the bar and the container. If you have access to a microscope, you could take a look and see if the cells are staying intact or getting crushed. If you get a chance, let me know what you find out -someone else might want to do what you are doing.

An alternative might be to hook up an airline and have the air pump turn on now and then. It probably won't mix as well, but would probably be adequate.

Good luck. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Good call on checking the cells, I have a microscope somewhere I'll have to dig out from a recent move

That said, I wasn't aware of orbital shakers but now you have me searching for one, ha.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I will harvest eight species of phyto and blend them together on Monday and ship on Tuesday. Sizes, prices, and info are in the first post. Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello! Sure, that would be great. If you can PM your PayPal email, I’ll send you an invoice. I can also do Venmo if you prefer. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All of the orders have shipped. Everyone should have received an email with a tracking number. Please let me know if there are any problems.

TAKING ORDERS FOR NEXT WEEK.

Back