Fresh Start

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill start off by saying sorry as I am new to this hobby and have ran into a question that has boggled me even with research, I dont think I have anything to worry about but would love some answers to feed my curiosity. So my tank is just over 3 days old now, If more information on the tank itself as a setup is needed I can supply.. I decided with research to try the famous Dr Tims one and only with the Ammonium chloride drops from Dr Tims aswell. I tested my Rodi water, all was well. I tested my salinity, all was well. The fun begins. I start to follow his recipe by removing all mechanical filtration and lights off, skimmer off. Dose one and only and the drops asked per recipe. Now on day 3 when it asks to add more drops. I test the tank with 2 test kits.. Red sea pro kit. and Sali Kit. Red sea kit shows Nh3+Nh4 as the Sali shows Nh3, decided to try both, Sali kit shows 0 reading, Red sea shows off the charts. DARK BLUE. Retested, Same.. Had a buddy test with his kit, Same. Tested his water. accurate.. So my question comes in a duo here. What causes the differences in the test? Should I stall on the drops and let the tank continue to do its thing on its own?

Thanks alot for the read. Any knowledge you offer is amazing to me as I would love to learn this.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not have experience with both of those kits, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…
But seriously, I also used the Dr Tims method to cycle my tank. My test results were all over the place for the first 2 weeks. I think mine was fully cycled in the 3rd week in the respect that ammonia was gone within 24hrs of being added to 2ppm. IIRC I waited until week 4/5 before I added my first fish.
Best of luck! And welcome!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no way to mess up a cycle. The Dr Tim's is working. While it can take longer than some of the others out there, it's still working it's magic. Keep up as directed to the best you can figure out. Once you can dose and ammonia zeroes out in 24 hours, you're done.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Temperature, type of water and how much time you allow after introducing ammonia prior to testing.

OP
OP
Kuhmens

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature, type of water and how much time you allow after introducing ammonia prior to testing.
80 degrees F, Not sure what you mean by type of water Im sorry. but Salt? I added the water, tested before dosing anything, Then dosed as it required. on day one, Its now day 3 and I havnt added any Ammonia at all due to the confusion on the testing, Dont want to over dose.

OP
OP
Kuhmens

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no way to mess up a cycle. The Dr Tim's is working. While it can take longer than some of the others out there, it's still working it's magic. Keep up as directed to the best you can figure out. Once you can dose and ammonia zeroes out in 24 hours, you're done.
Yeah, Im in no rush, My concern was following the recipe as it says to add more ammonia today and The result I have boggled me. so I dont know wrether to dose more, Or let it zero out.. But the Sali test shows 0, The Redsea shows way off the charts.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 degrees F, Not sure what you mean by type of water Im sorry. but Salt? I added the water, tested before dosing anything, Then dosed as it required. on day one, Its now day 3 and I havnt added any Ammonia at all due to the confusion on the testing, Dont want to over dose.
When dosing remember to factor in the displacement of the rocks and sand. For example a 100g tank may only have 80g of water.

OP
OP
Kuhmens

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing remember to factor in the displacement of the rocks and sand. For example a 100g tank may only have 80g of water.
Yeah it called for 4 drops per gallon, I have a 50 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, Which id assume around 60 overall gallons. then subract 20 percent, Altho I do have 60lbs of rock in my tank.. So I may have overdosed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Type of water- Are you using tap water from the faucet or RODI water ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back