FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Full Tank Shot - 7.28.22
PXL_20220728_151017466.jpg

Hello Reef2Reef!

I'm excited to start my first Build Thread. I've been in and out of the aquarium hobby several times over the years, mainly related to moves across country. I've primarily kept freshwater planted tanks in the past. After a recent 10 day trip to St. Thomas USVI, and tons of amazing snorkeling, I decided I had to have a little slice of ocean in our home.

Thanks to this forum I found a used JBJ 20 Gallon AIO for a good deal - shoutout to @bro1123 for helping me get set-up. Here's the details:
  • Display tank: JBJ 20 Gallon All-in-One
  • Glass or Acrylic: Glass
  • Stand: JBJ Gloss Black Stand
  • Sump: All-in-one style, so the sump is integrated into the back of the tank
  • Return pump: Stock return pump - 12W 198GPH. (I'm considering upgrading to Sicce Syncra Silent - curious what other's experience has been?)
  • Water circulation: Hoping to add Nero 3 soon
  • Lighting (display): AI Prime 16 HD with the Light Shade/Diffuser from 3D Reefing (Schedule is 10 hours with 1 hour ramp up and down)
  • Auto top-off: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO
  • Heating: 2 Eheim Jagers hooked into to Inkbird ITC-306A
  • System control: I have a BN-Link Smart Power Strip on order that I plan to use as a sort of basic controller.
  • Maintenance: Currently 3 gallon (15%) water changes weekly
I set everything up on May 1st, dosed Dr. Tim's, and the cycle was complete by day 13.

Here's my first photo under the Prime light - need to figure out how to get a better white balance in my photos

Second photo during daylight with Prime on cool white only.

PXL_20220517_134629314.jpg

From my experience with planted tanks I knew I wanted to take time to get my aquascape just right, so I tried a bunch of different set-ups with the rockwork over the course of a week. I used wrapped paper to help envision how the sand would sit against the rocks. I'm pretty happy with what I landed on - there is visual interest and depth with just the rocks, and now I get to build upon that with corals!

PXL_20220421_204633338.jpg

On Monday night this week I added my first coral and inverts:
  • Hammer Coral: Euphylia ancora
  • Purple Photosynthetic Sponge: Collospongia sp.
  • Emerald Crab: Mithraculus sculptus (named Giacometti)
  • Sexy Shrimp: Thor amboinensis (named Frida)
I'll work to get good pictures of them this weekend so I can share.

I already love this tank! It lives in my office and I work from home, so I get to observe it everyday. It's nice to have some companions sharing the space with me, and I'm jamming on the chill vibes of the gently waving hammer. I'm looking forward to learning more about the biology of this system and how to best work with natural processes to build a healthy reef tank.

I've started this build thread to record my progress, and meet folks in the community. My goals with this tank are to take it slow, create a beautiful mixed reef, and to feature symbiotic relationships as much as possible. Corals will be mainly softies and LPS, maybe select SPS down the road. I prefer the purples, reds, and turquoise colors over the bright fluorescent greens, yellows and oranges. I'm thinking that a Toadstool Leather or Weeping Willow Leather would eventually be a nice feature on the rock to the far left. For fish, I know I'll be adding a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and I'm really intrigued by the Yasha Hase Goby paired with a Pistol Shrimp.

Thanks for reading along and happy reefing! PXL_20220717_232126026.jpg

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I'm excited to start my first Build Thread. I've been in and out of the aquarium hobby several times over the years, mainly related to moves across country. I've primarily kept freshwater planted tanks in the past. After a recent 10 day trip to St. Thomas USVI, and tons of amazing snorkeling, I decided I had to have a little slice of ocean in our home.

Thanks to this forum I found a used JBJ 20 Gallon AIO for a good deal - shoutout to @bro1123 for helping me get set-up. Here's the details:
  • Display tank: JBJ 20 Gallon All-in-One
  • Glass or Acrylic: Glass
  • Stand: JBJ Gloss Black Stand
  • Sump: All-in-one style, so the sump is integrated into the back of the tank
  • Return pump: Stock return pump - 12W 198GPH. (I'm considering upgrading to Sicce Syncra Silent - curious what other's experience has been?)
  • Water circulation: Hoping to add Nero 3 soon
  • Lighting (display): AI Prime 16 HD with the Light Shade/Diffuser from 3D Reefing (Schedule is 10 hours with 1 hour ramp up and down)
  • Auto top-off: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO
  • Heating: 2 Eheim Jagers hooked into to Inkbird ITC-306A
  • System control: I have a BN-Link Smart Power Strip on order that I plan to use as a sort of basic controller.
  • Maintenance: Currently 3 gallon (15%) water changes weekly
I set everything up on May 1st, dosed Dr. Tim's, and the cycle was complete by day 13.

Here's my first photo under the Prime light - need to figure out how to get a better white balance in my photos

Second photo during daylight with Prime on cool white only.

PXL_20220517_134629314.jpg

From my experience with planted tanks I knew I wanted to take time to get my aquascape just right, so I tried a bunch of different set-ups with the rockwork over the course of a week. I used wrapped paper to help envision how the sand would sit against the rocks. I'm pretty happy with what I landed on - there is visual interest and depth with just the rocks, and now I get to build upon that with corals!

PXL_20220421_204633338.jpg

On Monday night this week I added my first coral and inverts:
  • Hammer Coral: Euphylia ancora
  • Purple Photosynthetic Sponge: Collospongia sp.
  • Emerald Crab: Mithraculus sculptus (named Giacometti)
  • Sexy Shrimp: Thor amboinensis (named Frida)
I'll work to get good pictures of them this weekend so I can share.

I already love this tank! It lives in my office and I work from home, so I get to observe it everyday. It's nice to have some companions sharing the space with me, and I'm jamming on the chill vibes of the gently waving hammer. I'm looking forward to learning more about the biology of this system and how to best work with natural processes to build a healthy reef tank.

I've started this build thread to record my progress, and meet folks in the community. My goals with this tank are to take it slow, create a beautiful mixed reef, and to feature symbiotic relationships as much as possible. Corals will be mainly softies and LPS, maybe select SPS down the road. I prefer the purples, reds, and turquoise colors over the bright fluorescent greens, yellows and oranges. I'm thinking that a Toadstool Leather or Weeping Willow Leather would eventually be a nice feature on the rock to the far left. For fish, I know I'll be adding a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and I'm really intrigued by the Yasha Hase Goby paired with a Pistol Shrimp.

Thanks for reading along and happy reefing!
Beautiful! I love those long polyp leathers. Hard to find sometimes

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NowGlazeIT Any specific recommendations for where I should look for them? Have you had luck with any specific vendors in the past for this type of coral?
I see a few go up for sale here on R2R every now and then. I haven’t found a vendor but I’ve seen some cool Japanese WW for sale by hobbyist here.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Irregardless well...here's the best picture I got of Frida the Sexy Shrimp yesterday.

Sad story, today Frida is nowhere to be found...I think the emerald crab may have snatched her up overnight :anguished-face:. I dunno, maybe she'll reappear, but I kinda doubt it.

I'm pretty surprised because I thought Emerald Crabs were mainly herbivores, plus he had eaten 6 pellets already earlier in the evening.

PXL_20220524_130619984.jpg

RIP Frida?

Does anyone have experience with Emerald Crabs going after shrimp?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is coming along and I'm learning everyday. Added some frags over the weekend - Mohawk Zoas, Speckled Leather and Green Clove Polyps. Looking forward to seeing these all grow out.

The Zoas and Leather seem to be doing great, while the Clove Polyps are struggling a bit, have yet to see them fully open.

Captured some nice pics of my Emerald Crab and Hammer today.

PXL_20220601_205405017.jpg

PXL_20220601_205342122.jpg

PXL_20220601_134943527~2.jpg

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I like the color on the Hammer, I have 2 and they're amazing.

I have the same exact tank, I went with the IM Mighty Jet Desktop AIO for a return pump, whisper quiet and fits nicely in the return slot, you'll need to get a longer return tube/hose, but that can be found at Home Depot for pennies on a dollar.

I went with InTanks Media Basket, Surface Skimmer and the Filtration cover, I love the filtration cover, makes good on hiding the unsightly gear that's plumbed into the sump.

All in all, I like the JBJ, not a big fan of the stand and I see a bigger tank in my future, IM, Red Sea or Waterbox.

Good luck, looks great.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I like the color on the Hammer, I have 2 and they're amazing.

I have the same exact tank, I went with the IM Mighty Jet Desktop AIO for a return pump, whisper quiet and fits nicely in the return slot, you'll need to get a longer return tube/hose, but that can be found at Home Depot for pennies on a dollar.

I went with InTanks Media Basket, Surface Skimmer and the Filtration cover, I love the filtration cover, makes good on hiding the unsightly gear that's plumbed into the sump.

All in all, I like the JBJ, not a big fan of the stand and I see a bigger tank in my future, IM, Red Sea or Waterbox.

Good luck, looks great.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback on the pump, I'll look into the IM model you mentioned.

I've also got the InTank media basket and it works great. Didn't realize they also make a Filtration Cover, that is certainly appealing.

Would love to add some more Hammers or other Euphylia into this tank over time.

Appreciate the compliments. This tank has a ways to go, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I added two Trochus Snails and a Cerith (named Seraut). They're going to town on the algae in the tank - diatoms and a bit of hair algae I think.

PXL_20220606_162250194.jpg

PXL_20220608_133324481.jpg

PXL_20220608_192613719.jpg

I've now got all electrical running into a BN Link wifi power strip which has made managing feeding and water changes much smoother. I also built out a little stand to mount and hide all wires - looks really nice and tidy now. Will snap some photos to share soon.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've got a nice update today - a lot of additions since last post.

I've now got 8 corals in the tank:
Purple Hammer
WWC Festivus Favities
Encrusting Leather
Purple Cespitularia
Mohawk Zoas
Halle Berry Zoas
Bob Marley Zoas
Red People Eater Paly

And my first addition of fish! Two beautiful Grade A DaVinci Clowns. Meet Leonardo and Lady Ermine:

PXL_20220624_163849254~2.jpg

PXL_20220624_164209633~2.jpg

PXL_20220627_131016087.jpg

They were pretty subdued the first day, but are settling in well, and it seems they've already chosen to host a spot right at the top of my rock tower - good choice!

PXL_20220627_210036820~2.jpg

I'm admittedly smitten.

We did have a minor scare over the weekend - a partial power outage was caused by a branch on the line. My battery back up kicked in, but only has a 4 hour charge. Power was out for 20 hours! Thankfully I was able to run an extension cord from a working outlet and kept the tank running. Power company ended up repairing the poor connection and replacing the mainlines - I feel more secure knowing that improvement was made.

A few other pics to share:

3 of my 4 CUC, just missing the Cerith in this shot:
PXL_20220627_205641800.jpg

Red People Eater Paly:
PXL_20220627_131738703~2.jpg

The fish, corals and CUC all seem to be doing well.

Since last update I've also added a frag rack, cord/tube holder, and I've got a Nero 3 I'd like to install soon. I need to get a full tank shot soon to capture these changes.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some good looking clowns; and I generally do not like designer clowns. That Emerald is looking good too; until it eats your coral....

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Sean Clark!

I asked for something really specific with those clowns and Holly @Cultivated Reef really came through for me.

The Emerald Crab already took out a sexy shrimp. I've observed it cleaning the stalk of my hammer, but it never went for the polyps. So far it has behaved with the corals. Are they known to eat coral?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those clowns are beautiful! Love the hammer and zoas too! Those are two of my favorite corals.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back