Freshwater Black Mollies vs. Marine Fish Diseases

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface - Freshwater (FW) black mollies have been used for years in saltwater aquariums for algae control. However, this article will focus on their potential for identifying marine fish diseases present in a display tank (DT) and also quarantine tank (QT). The most important detail is to ensure you are using Freshwater black mollies for this purpose. Two reasons:
  1. Evidence of ectoparasites (e.g. ich, velvet, brook) will show as white spots on a fish or translucent for flukes (examples below). This makes them easier to see on a black colored fish.
  2. A freshwater black molly will have no immunity whatsoever to marine diseases, thus making it probable for visible symptoms to show. However, a molly which has been kept in saltwater (SW) will begin building up immunity to whatever diseases it has been exposed to, the same as any other SW fish.
ICH
CryptocaryonMarinespotdisease2-300x197.jpg
FLUKES
proxy.php

Acclimation
- A slow (6-8 hours) drip acclimation period is best. Remember to temperature control the water, add an air stone to provide oxygen, and use an ammonia reducer (e.g. Prime, Amquel) if you suspect ammonia is starting to build up.

Any (freshwater) diseases the mollies were carrying will be eradicated once they are in full saltwater. So, no need to QT them. They are primarily herbivores, prefer low flow and have other requirements explained here: Keeping, Breeding, and Raising Saltwater Mollies

Testing a Fallow DT - The only reliable way to eliminate a disease from a reef tank is to starve it out by going fallow: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fallow-periods-going-fishless.190324/

You can test to see if a fallow period has been successful by using 2-3 black mollies, before introducing your QTd fish back into the aquarium. I advise a 2 week test period before giving the all-clear. You can house the mollies in an acclimation box or low flow area of your sump; or let them swim freely in your DT (they are easy to catch.) If evidence of disease presents itself on any one of the mollies, they all need to be removed, treated and the fallow period restarts. :( Furthermore, these same mollies are no longer suitable for testing marine diseases in the future. They are now SW fish who have encountered (and thus started to build up immunity to) a marine disease.

FYI; there's no reason why the above cannot also be used to test any DT or QT for active diseases.

QT Usage - Certain fish (notably wrasses) are notoriously sensitive to medications such as copper and Prazipro. This can make it difficult to prophylactically treat them for ich, velvet, flukes, etc. Compounding the problem is wrasses, clownfish, dragonets and other species have a thick mucous coat which often hides visible physical evidence (i.e. white dots) of parasites. What to do? :eek: Black mollies to the rescue! ;Smuggrin

By QTing black mollies alongside, this allows you to use them as "canary fish" to detect the presence of disease even if none of the other fish in QT are showing symptoms. This can be done via observation in a medication-free environment. :) However, I stress the following:
  1. The observation period does not start until mollies are added to the QT. This should happen ASA (or even just before) fish are added. Because you are having to wait for any parasites to drop off, encyst and then release free swimmers to infect the mollies; observation time should be 4-6 weeks.
  2. Be aware that not all SW fish are suitable tank mates for mollies. They are easily bullied or even eaten by large aggressive species (e.g. triggers, groupers, eels). So, the mollies may need to be QTd in an acclimation box or with a tank divider.
  3. Watch the mollies (and all the other fish) for symptoms of disease every single day. So, this is not a reliable method for those with busy schedules, or who will have to leave the QT unobserved due to work/vacation trips. Watch for visible physical symptoms to manifest (e.g. white dots/splotches), and also behavioral symptoms of disease. Heavy breathing, lack of appetite, scratching, lethargy, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead are all things which can forewarn you that trouble is on the way. ;Wideyed
  4. Once symptoms of disease have been observed/detected, all fish in the QT must be treated ASAP. This includes the mollies! And again, any mollies who have encountered a SW disease must no longer be considered viable for testing marine diseases in the future.
  5. This method is less reliable for detecting flukes, since those often infect the gills and are more difficult to see when they crawl over the scales. (And they would crawl pretty fast over a small molly.) Still, a molly can be checked for flukes at any time via a FW dip - so as not to subject a more delicate specimen to the same test. ;) And any dead molly should be given a FW dip to check for flukes (tap is fine when the fish is deceased.)
Concerns - I understand some will have ethical concerns about using mollies as "canary fish", and I am sensitive to that. The more I research & experiment, the more I find there is no perfect solution when it comes to quarantining our prized specimens. :confused: However, using FW black mollies to test for SW diseases is an accepted practice by Marine Biologists and public aquarium curators. And I feel the science is solid to extend this practice to also include active QT situations, for those hobbyists who prefer to just observe and/or less inclined to use meds as a prophylaxis. At the end of the day, the objective of QT is to introduce disease-free fish into the DT by any means possible.

However, I stress that once you buy FW black mollies you have a moral obligation to care for them the same as any other fish. They are not "throwaway fish" to be discarded after they have served a purpose. :mad: Mollies are "reef safe" algae eaters and adapt well to a reef environment. Or they can be housed in a quiet sump area (e.g. refugium) or as semi-permanent QT inhabitants (until a disease pops up.) You also have the option of converting them back to full freshwater. However, I urge you to care for them yourself, or rehome them to someone with a dedicated FW tank. Sending them back to a LFS leaves open the possibility that another reefer may purchase them for the same reason, and those mollies might fail to test positive for a disease which they have already been exposed to. ;Doctor

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent article, but I always had a question in mind. Lets say a molly got infected by velvet and then you decided to get it back to fresh water, will velvet be present in FW, since velvet can survive hypo and its been mentioned that velvet have been found in SW of around 1.002.
Also any other concerns of dieseases getting transfered from SW to FW. Im willing to try it but I also have FW tank that im willing to return it to it

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent article, but I always had a question in mind. Lets say a molly got infected by velvet and then you decided to get it back to fresh water, will velvet be present in FW, since velvet can survive hypo and its been mentioned that velvet have been found in SW of around 1.002.

Odds are the fish would be dead or too damaged from velvet before you acclimated it back to full FW. I'm not aware of any documented cases where Marine Velvet survived @ 1.002 SG. Please cite sources.

There are two different flagellates (Piscinoodinium pillulare & Ichthyobodo necatrix) often associated with "Freshwater Velvet"; but these are an entirely different genus than Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum).

Also any other concerns of dieseases getting transfered from SW to FW. Im willing to try it but I also have FW tank that im willing to return it to it

My only realistic concern would be bacteria, which can be extremely resilient. All parasites/worms would die in the opposite environment.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/tatues_marine_velvet/

Here is article that mentions it. The full article is in his book. I think Mr Salt Water Tank is professional enough to use scholar articles but im still not sure about the actual reference since I dont own his book.

Again thanks for the article, will use it soon and give my feedback

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll look into his claim.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we place the black mollies in a Tank that's been fallow for 80 days, and the mollies are just fine after two weeks, how sure can we be that the tank is parasite free? Are we talking 100%?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be highly reliable, the fish has no immunity what so ever, so any parasite will infect it fast, on the other hand, SW might have been exposed to this before in the wild, and since its found at much lower concentration, it might develop immunity. Also, the longer the molly stays in the aquarium the better, its all about how close you want to approach the 100% mark. I believe two weeks is enough to get you up into the 90s% range (don't quote me on this, I'm just guessing, its really hard to get measurements without a lot of experimentations), which is good enough provided its really simple to do, also the shorter the lifecycle of the parasite, the more confidence you have in this method.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been trying to do this to test my DT and haven't had any luck of my molly surviving. Usually after 6-8 hours my salinity matches, I add the fish, and I wake up to it dead stuck on a power head. My DT is pretty high flow (2 MP40s), so do I need to do this in my sump?

What I have been doing is:

Drip acclimating from DT while floating bag in sump to maintain temperature.

After 4 hours, remove some water from bag. In 2 more hours, remove more water from bag. Wait until salinity matches DT. Introduce fish to DT.

Any suggestions for what I may be doing wrong?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Josh Kraft Two things:
  1. Put the mollies in a 5 gal bucket with an air stone & heater, and take 2-3 days to slowly acclimate them over to full SW. You can dose Prime or Amquel after a couple of days if you think ammonia is on the rise.
  2. Mollies cannot handle high flow and are weak swimmers, easily caught by suction. So, place them in a large acclimation box inside your DT or in a quiet area of your sump.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Josh Kraft Two things:
  1. Put the mollies in a 5 gal bucket with an air stone & heater, and take 2-3 days to slowly acclimate them over to full SW. You can dose Prime or Amquel after a couple of days if you think ammonia is on the rise.
  2. Mollies cannot handle high flow and are weak swimmers, easily caught by suction. So, place them in a large acclimation box inside your DT or in a quiet area of your sump.

I will give it a shot, I was planning on leaving the molly in either my DT or sump so I could see if I fail at QTing. My MP40's are on blast in my DT, so I am assuming that is the cause. I will try my sump on my next attempt, but i feel bad for a fish stuck in my sump, its like a dungeon!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had to good of luck with my mollies. Bought two sickly ones and acclimated them over about 12 hours. Now I have over 60 of them 2 months later. So if not exposed to parasites in my quarantine tank they should still be OK to use for DT testing if I am understanding correctly.

Shelley

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if not exposed to parasites in my quarantine tank they should still be OK to use for DT testing if I am understanding correctly.

Yes, but as soon as they become exposed to any SW disease I would consider them no longer suitable as "test fish". Their immune systems will begin to develop resistance to SW pathogens.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it HF. . I rather enjoy watching my school of them. Might keep most of them.

Shelley

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off handed thought here... what do you think about these as canaries for a coral and invert QT system? Could they be used to detect if a coral or invert came in infected? If they eat algae they could help keep it clean too.

Edit: my reason for asking is to see if this can reduce the time for needing to qt corals and inverts. (Says the guy with a batch of snails that will hit 76 days on Monday :))

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back