Freshwater dip or too late?

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a carpenters wrasse that has been going downhill since yesterday. Received on Tuesday with a group of wrasses. Blue flasher, pink margin and whip fin. The carpenter was the most active of all of them no problems eating or coming out. Did Prazi on Thursday for 24 hours then 25% water change and carbon. One I added the carbon the dish started hiding but would come out to eat. Last night was the first time it didn’t come out to eat and breathing was fairly rapid. This morning breathing is slow but labored. I started dosing copper power yesterday. Have not tested yet but with how much I’ve added I should be around 0.6ppm. The fish has flipped itself upright since the video and is currently laying on its belly.

Attachments

• IMG_6205.MOV
    24.4 MB
OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry that catching and dipping might be too much stress.

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m preparing water for a freshwater dip and then was thinking of methylene blue bath after Depending on what everyone suggests. I’ve never done methylene blue. Is that done with fresh saltwater?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not super good with identifying or treating diseases which is why I tagged some more knowledgeable reefers in. I know some Wrasses don't respond well to copper treatment and that might be what's going on here.

Do you see any spots or anything on the fish that would suggest a parasite?

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there have been a spot here and there so I’m assuming it’s mostly in the gills. I’m pretty sure it’s ich because they come and go and The spots are much larger than velvet.

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper was added at 1 ml per hour yesterday with 7 doses. I have done 4 doses this morning in 1 hour increments. Working with 40 gallons water volume.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but a freshwater dip like you planned might help or at the very least, narrow down what the potential parasite is...

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a freshwater dip. The fish still has some energy and was moving itself around so I decided to take the chance vs hoping things were going to turn around. The fish’s mouth got stuck in the net during the transfer so I’m sure that didn’t help with stress levels. About a minute into the dip there was a little bit of blood that came through the gills. Not sure if it was an injury from the net or if something released from the gills. The fish is now in the methylene blue bath. It’s at the ten minute mark. Still labored breathing so hopefully it’ll turn around.

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still on its side has not tried to move. Breathing is slightly faster and still labored. It’s not looking good, but waiting to see.

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish died sometime in the last 45-60 minutes. Anyone have any tips for mckoskers/carpenter wrasses? I have yet to get a single one through QT. I’ve tried waiting for things to show up and treat, treat as soon as they’re eating. I’ve done no QT and they never survive more than 2-3 weeks. I have the worst luck with these fish. This time I started from scratch. Put new filter pads in the sump to seed for a couple weeks. Matched temp and salinity to shipping bag and dropped in. This fish was the healthiest I’ve seen from an online order. Completely round, no pinched stomach. Eating and super active when the lights were on. I still have the blue flasher that is looking really good. It’s eating but slightly picky. I may just have to give up on the carpenters. Really don’t want to kill another one.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, I haven't ever had luck with Carpenter's Wrasses either. I tried and failed about a month ago to run one through QT after having given up for years only to get a similar result. I think they're just a difficult fish to get healthy.

OP
OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, I haven't ever had luck with Carpenter's Wrasses either. I tried and failed about a month ago to run one through QT after having given up for years only to get a similar result. I think they're just a difficult fish to get healthy.

That’s what I’m thinking. I took a pintail and an exquisite straight through qt at the start of the year. Really thought this one was going to be my success. Maybe the fact that they’re slightly larger is my make it or break it? Who knows...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back