Freshwater dip proven to kill dinos?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious if a quick freshwater dip will kill dinos? I am starting a new tank and would like to move over my fish and a couple remaining lps corals that still look decently healthy...but the tank they are in currently has had dinos for 18+ months....has freshwater been proven to kill all strains of dinos? How long of a dip is necessary? Will torch/frogspawn be able to handle a fw dip?

Much thanks

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started low salinity dips on corals in an effort to prevent transferring from a dino infested tank. First dip was at 1.010sg for 30 seconds followed by diluted peroxide dip (8:1) then a rinse in fresh saltwater . Corals were placed in a treatment/qt tank and inspected over the next week. I am dealing with 4 species of dinos. Taking scrapings and various samples I could find no live coolia, ostreopsis or prorocentrum but did however find live amphidinium. I then followed up with 30 second low salinity dip at 1.008sg followed by dip diluted peroxide dip at 4:1 ratio. Corals were moved to another tank following. Still found live amphidinium but no others. Over a weeks period of time the surviving amphidinium faded and no live dinos could be located from multiple points.
One issue though is I did find encysted dinos which I have to assume are still viable. Multiple rinses and water changes seems to reduced the number of cysts I could find but I did end up tossing 1 coral that seemed to contain the majority of cysts.
I dipped a variety of corals to see how they responded including 5 different acros, acan, lepto, zoas, psammacora and pectinia. I lost 1 acro frag out of these but it was in pretty bad shape and half the flesh was already missing so wasn't a surprise.
The treatment tank does have a UV Sterilizer.

So short answer...freshwater or even low salinity dip will kill dinos but not every species from my experience. You still run the risk of transferring viable dino cysts or dinos that may have been taken up in the coral and later expelled. Corals seem to handle the dip fine but will be stressed. I have only tried reduced salinity dips so far not straight freshwater so can't comment on how they would handle that. I suspect LPS would be fine.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Anybody ever try this? Would it also kill a lot of beneficial bacteria/life on the rock?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its temporary fix, will kill certain strains but its next to impossible to prevent dinos from coming into any tank. In healthy and biologically diverse tanks its doesn't show up bc its kept in check by other nutrient competitors. If tank biome unstable or have nutrient competition vacuum it will quickly multiply and take hold again

Dipping will reduce the population you initially bring into the tank and buy you time to let your rock be established by other organisms - bacteria, cyano, algae, pods, etc, to hopefully keep the dinos in check.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back