Freshwater guy looking to make the jump

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They already linked you the most important thread! But maybe check this one out if you haven't already! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-acclimation-and-quarantine.304980/

and,

Welcome to R2R.jpg

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my main plan was to have a fish tank with a few softies. I love the look of full on reef tanks but I really enjoy watching the live stock.

What AIO tank did you go with?

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something that scares me with a AIO lol. I would hate to buy one just to convert it later.
In the 1500$ range what would you suggest for a tank/stand/sump setup?

or the red sea e-series if going AIO

heard good things about these

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the red sea setups are amazing but Im not a fan of the MDF stand idea. I really wish they had the option to upgrade to a hardwood.

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Great tips from many folks who posted before me.

One thing I might add.. When I started telling my friends (non-aquarium folks) that I switched over to saltwater.. I got an instant high-brow and several comments that I delved into the deep end. It is more work, it is more money. I definitely now look like a snobby aquarist (not a bad thing!) :p

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome. I did a Red Sea Reefer 170 which was $2500 all in excluding display lighting, rock, controller and livestock. I had an extra Radion pro, apex JR (from a FW tank), and live rock which I used so that saved some $$$. Also used the main sump chamber as a refugium which saved a few $$$ on not having a skimmer. This was all new equipment. You can save a ton finding something slightly used:). I have two other tanks that I didn't go the AIO route. There are some nice aspects of AIO design that are hard to beat but others I would have done differently if not an AIO. Overall very happy with the Red Sea. I wasn't a fan of the MDF either, but I figured it was a small tank so wasn't too worried about it. With that said it was engineered better than the MDF stuff I had seen before.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back