Freshwater new tank help

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know this is not the correct place to ask about freshwater question, but I know there is a lot of smart people here and I need help. These pictures are from a 20 gallon freshwater new set up aquarium, and I want to know what this white film growing on gravel and fake plants. The water is milky also. Any help would be appreciated to fix this.

8CA5CAA6-902B-41F0-ABA2-CAF2BD16D002.jpeg 65BF7D2C-6A87-478B-AE1C-DA3E0DEA1360.jpeg 76C9173E-3FBD-4945-8747-7DE328524D59.jpeg

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an autofeeder or was there a lot of food put into the tank? I've had a clients tank look like this, the cause was someone dumping a ton of food into the tank

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever is it, gravel vac as much of that stuff out as you can, refill whatever was taken out by the gravel vac, dose some seachem stability (or other bacteria in a bottle product), and then leave it alone. Hold off on food for 3-4 days too, if the tank wasn't cycled you don't want to be feeding yet.

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually my bosses tank, and I don’t think it was properly cycled before fish were introduced. As far as feeding I assume it has been overfeed. I added start up bacteria yesterday and water clarifier, along with 20percent water change. Is there anything else I can do to fight the bloom?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually my bosses tank, and I don’t think it was properly cycled before fish were introduced. As far as feeding I assume it has been overfeed. I added start up bacteria yesterday and water clarifier, along with 20percent water change. Is there anything else I can do to fight the bloom?
I'm willing to bet all that crud is bacteria eating excess food. Suck it outta there, and then get your boss an autofeeder until they learn how to feed the tank properly lol other than that, waiting out a bacteria bloom is the best way to go (after the crud is removed of course)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back