Freshwater to saltwater conversion

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just wanted some advice about how to switch my tanks. Currently I have a 40 gallon breeder saltwater tank and a 75 gallon freshwater tank. I would like to make the 75gallon salt and the 40 gallon fresh. This is the setup for both:

40 Gallon Tank
29 gallon DIY sump
2 heaters
1 60 gallon rated protein skimmer
1 UV sterilizer
Current livestock (3 damsels, 3 clowns, 1 Melanarus wrasse, 2 emerald crabs, and some nassarius snails)

75 Gallon Tank
Fluval FX4 filter
2 heaters
Current livestock ( assorted African cichlid peacocks)

I have a small 15 gallon column tank that I can use to temporarily house the saltwater fish while I make the switch. Does anyone have any ideas or advice on how I can go about doing that? I plan on using the existing filtration on its current tank because the sump will not fit under the 75 gallon tank.

Any and all advice or comments are appreciated.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just wanted some advice about how to switch my tanks. Currently I have a 40 gallon breeder saltwater tank and a 75 gallon freshwater tank. I would like to make the 75gallon salt and the 40 gallon fresh. This is the setup for both:

40 Gallon Tank
29 gallon DIY sump
2 heaters
1 60 gallon rated protein skimmer
1 UV sterilizer
Current livestock (3 damsels, 3 clowns, 1 Melanarus wrasse, 2 emerald crabs, and some nassarius snails)

75 Gallon Tank
Fluval FX4 filter
2 heaters
Current livestock ( assorted African cichlid peacocks)

I have a small 15 gallon column tank that I can use to temporarily house the saltwater fish while I make the switch. Does anyone have any ideas or advice on how I can go about doing that? I plan on using the existing filtration on its current tank because the sump will not fit under the 75 gallon tank.

Any and all advice or comments are appreciated.
I've never kept African cichlids but most youtube channels don't recommend them for a 40B if i remember correctly

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big!

Ditch the cichlids, build a new stand for the 75g that will fit the 40b as the sump. Get a bigger skimmer and more lights.

Enjoy your new reef tank!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you can use the 40 and the 75 for your reef tank. if you want to keep them you could get another tank to house them in. idk if the 29 is big enough.

Curious how you ended up with 3 clowns? Do they all get along?

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally fresh with my 75gal running canisters. I gradually upped my salinity in 0.005 increments every water change with Mono Sebaes, Mono Argentinus and spotted leopard puffers, Eventually reaching 1.025 salinity, at this point I knew I needed a sump.

My sump would not fit under my 75gal witch is your situation also. My solution was to offset the sump in it's own cabinet next to the 75gal. It's tricky plumbing but not too bad. Add a HOB overflow and you are in business. Plus it gives you room to put a display fuge on top of the sump cabinet, that's how I set mine up.

OP
OP
Z

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you can use the 40 and the 75 for your reef tank. if you want to keep them you could get another tank to house them in. idk if the 29 is big enough.

Curious how you ended up with 3 clowns? Do they all get along?
Yeah they all get along. 2 of them are Clarki clowns and one lightning maroon clown

OP
OP
Z

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t really want to get rid of the cichlids. I finally got them to a nice size now. My problem is now I want too many tanks for all the different kinds of fish I want lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back