Freshwater to saltwater

Tyang117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've got a 125g that I am considering to turn into saltwater, its a planted freshwater that I've had running for about 5yrs. Now I probably know the answer, but just want to know if anyone else has tried this. I was going to remove all livestock and rocks, I have sand substrate and am considering to fill it with saltwater. I know this will cause any bacteria and what not to die inside the substrate, my plan is to run it rock and substrate only for 6months. Would this be ample time to allow any negative effects from the freshwater substrate to disperse? Obviously this is me being lazy, if it comes down to it I probably will just start fresh.

Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a series of quarantine tanks that I convert back and forth between fresh and salt, You can just cycle the tank as you normally would - takes about 6 to 8 weeks. That said, freshwater sand and rocks may not be as aesthetically pleasing than if you just cleaned everything out and started over with corals sand a dry rock.

Jay

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hear anecdotes about saltwater tank crashes from bacteria deep in the sand. Specifically, disturbing to tank bottom for repairs.
Would it be a good idea to agitate/vacuum/wash the entire sandbed for the 1st month after adding the saltwater?
That might avoid any trapped surprises later.
BTW, Nothing wrong with lazy, that guy finds the easy way to get the job done.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've got a 125g that I am considering to turn into saltwater, its a planted freshwater that I've had running for about 5yrs. Now I probably know the answer, but just want to know if anyone else has tried this. I was going to remove all livestock and rocks, I have sand substrate and am considering to fill it with saltwater. I know this will cause any bacteria and what not to die inside the substrate, my plan is to run it rock and substrate only for 6months. Would this be ample time to allow any negative effects from the freshwater substrate to disperse? Obviously this is me being lazy, if it comes down to it I probably will just start fresh.

Thank you

I would say clean the substrate as good as you can, then add the saltwater give it time for the bacteria to get established and whatever left in the substrate to die off and watch the ammonia levels increasing then decreasing. After that do a water change then you should be ok.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back