Freshwater vs saltwater food source

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering where freshwater mysis vs saltwater krill may differ for nutrition. Is there a saltwater component missing and needed thats not in freshwater. Will have to look up salinity of location of PE mysis in canada. Just wondering if salt is for salt not fresh

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis shrimp is high in fat but compared to other foods like brine shrimp offer better protein. Krill is high in carotenoid which will provide better coloring.
Whole Mysis make up the bulk of my frozen food but also provide nutrients like vitamins through other foods like spirulina, bloodworms etc. fish in the wild eat lots of different species even obligate planktonvores do not eat just one species but many. Its the variety that provides all their needs not one food. My opinion anyway lol.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis are freshwater. All mysis are freshwater actually. Mysids are saltwater. They appear to be an exception to the rule. You are often told not to feed freshwater items to marine creatures like feeder fish,shrimp ect but fish can definitely not only survive but thrive on an all PE or PE based diet. That being said when I used to keep dwarf cuttlefish I saw a decline in growth and possibly a shorter lifespan feeding them freshwater ghost shrimp vs brackish / marine shore shrimp. They look exactly the same but obviously had some differences in nutritional value.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis are freshwater. All mysis are freshwater actually. Mysids are saltwater.
Not true. Mysis and mysid are synonymous terms to descride shrimp in the order Mysida. Most are marine species, but there are brackish species and about 10% of the species are freshwater.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. Mysis and mysid are synonymous terms to descride shrimp in the order Mysida. Most are marine species, but there are brackish species and about 10% of the species are freshwater.

I stand corrected. I've always thought that for years as I read it on a forum. The packages of mysis we buy are freshwater, and when I used to order live ones that were marine they were always labeled mysids.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back