Freshwater zebra danios for saltwater reef tank

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol was just editing my post how everything would kill or eat them.. snacks was my exact thought.
If op really wants to get a fw fish for there reef mollies are the only good choice and will sometimes shoal if there are enough of them but I really dont see any other good options for op unless they want a salmon or bull shark.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not to mention that at there size almost everything predatory will see them as expensive snacks.
Even if they could be in full salt ...the flow in a reef tank would surely stress and kill them.

Stinging corals would kill them.

Other fish would kill them.

Some Inverts would kill them.

By the time you removed everything that poses a danger to them...it wouldn't be a reef anymore.
Good points!

in terms of what can kill them, don’t they also apply to any other marine fish similar in size?

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points!

in terms of what can kill them, don’t they also apply to any other marine fish similar in size?
Not always smaller marine fish usally have the instincts to know that anemone or coral is a possible danger while fw fish dont have the instincts to know that the anemone will try to eat them. Has happened with mollies in my tank, molly will try to pick at the nem and end up being eaten by it.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always smaller marine fish usally have the instincts to know that anemone or coral is a possible danger while fw fish dont have the instincts to know that the anemone will try to eat them. Has happened with mollies in my tank, molly will try to pick at the nem and end up being eaten by it.
Make sense.

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for schooling fish for my 3ft reef tank, and saltwater options either too big or too expensive as I want to get 10 of them.

Many knows that mollies can be converted to saltwater by slowly acclimating them. Other fish such as zebra danios who grow to maximum of 2" are considered brackish to freshwater fish, and are schooling fish.

Has anyone successfully converted zebra danios to saltwater?
This will kill Danios, they’re FW fish, they can “survive” brackish water but full SW is a no no. They also prefer lower temps. Just don’t do it.

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for schooling fish for my 3ft reef tank, and saltwater options either too big or too expensive as I want to get 10 of them.

Many knows that mollies can be converted to saltwater by slowly acclimating them. Other fish such as zebra danios who grow to maximum of 2" are considered brackish to freshwater fish, and are schooling fish.

Has anyone successfully converted zebra danios to saltwater?
What about blue damsels?

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns, melanarus wrasse, royal flasher wrasse, Molly Miller blenny, lined dartfish, yellow tang in 3 ft 55 gallons tank.

won’t blue damsels cause issue?
I haven’t had any issues but everyone’s tanks are different. I have 2 clowns, yellow tang, kole tang, six line wrasse, and a sleeper goby in 56 corner tank.

Back