Friend or foe? Probably foe+

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had rocks in the brute while I did my work on the tank/stand. I knew the tank was a SS but didn't expect much to live for 2 mos in the dark? What are these? I'm assuming nuisance since I've already been fighting with apstasia when I "thought" I was rescuing corals even after iodine and coral rx dips!

20220815_200108.jpg 20220815_195917.jpg 20220815_195905.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need better pics, but at first glance it doesn’t look like aptasia to me. The last pic looks like maybe a zoa polyp (need better pic). 2nd pic is a blur…..so if forced to guess …I’d say hidden cup coral. The first pic could be aptasia, but also could be paly’s or some other type of anemone. Do you have a macro lens? Can you remove the rocks to get better pics? Honestly, any id based on those pics can’t really be trusted without confirmation on your end that they match known images online.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see anything that looks like aiptasia. Those first pics almost look like unhappy stony corals of some sort, maybe cup corals. Poke one with a tool, see what they look like retracted.

I'm also not sure that iodine and coral dips will do much to aiptasia. Those are meant to be survivable for corals, after all, and aiptasia are pretty closely related.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take better pics when the lights come on, I don't have a macro lens just us pro setting on android phone

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't kill off your perfectly good live rock to remove what may or may not be majanos. Seriously, get better pics of those first ones- that looks like stony coral to me.

Majanos aren't that big a deal anyway- superglue, Aiptasia-X, or just let 'em alone. Some species don't run wild like others do.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't kill off your perfectly good live rock to remove what may or may not be majanos. Seriously, get better pics of those first ones- that looks like stony coral to me.

Majanos aren't that big a deal anyway- superglue, Aiptasia-X, or just let 'em alone. Some species don't run wild like others do.
Totally agree here and I'm not sure I would trust your LFS after that advice? I'm not sure of this new trend of completely rebooting a tank after finding a couple pests?

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate the thoughts but I've been going through hell with this tank since Memorial day. I'm out of patience at this point. My build thread on it should shed some light on the experience I have had with it. There were several reasons for me to nuke what I had, 30lbs? I just got to the point where I've had enough, whether good or bad?! I've been using franks for 2 months on the corals I saved from the tank and I'm not chasing pest anemones etc. around anymore.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might consider selling that rock to someone else in exchange for the cash to buy some dry rock. Dry rock will be easier to start with than nuked live rock full of dead stuff, and won't carry any of the risk of putting rock that may contain palythoas in hot water (please don't do that, that's how people go to the hospital).

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider selling that rock to someone else in exchange for the cash to buy some dry rock. Dry rock will be easier to start with than nuked live rock full of dead stuff, and won't carry any of the risk of putting rock that may contain palythoas in hot water (please don't do that, that's how people go to the hospital).
Understand completely, process is being done safely with plenty of ventilation. After I nuke, there's a power washing of the rock, then curing in my 100g poly tank. I've known no other way unfortunately!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both LFS said mojano so it's time for a hot water bleach bath! Thanks for the help!!

This is generally a bad idea.. if there are some palys or even certain strains of cyano... and so on.. you could make yourself really sick.

Majano nems seem to move around when irritated... generally taking the rock out of water for awhile and they are easy to remove.

If you want to start over then do it properly... not hot water... muriatic acid

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is generally a bad idea.. if there are some palys or even certain strains of cyano... and so on.. you could make yourself really sick.

Majano nems seem to move around when irritated... generally taking the rock out of water for awhile and they are easy to remove.

If you want to start over then do it properly... not hot water... muriatic acid
I'm obviously not qualified to be doing much in this realm, but acid isn't on my Playlist.
What happens with the palyozoas and cyano when bleach is introduced? What gasses are released or what chemical reaction are taking place to cause a serious health issue? Just trying to gain knowledge and be safe! I do appreciate the concern!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm obviously not qualified to be doing much in this realm, but acid isn't on my Playlist.
What happens with the palyozoas and cyano when bleach is introduced? What gasses are released or what chemical reaction are taking place to cause a serious health issue? Just trying to gain knowledge and be safe! I do appreciate the concern!

You mentioned hot water, hot water or boiling them can aerosolize the toxins. Think steam..

I don't think some diluted bleach in water at a normal temp outside would be an issue.

You just do not want to be breathing anything in.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned hot water, hot water or boiling them can aerosolize the toxins. Think steam..

I don't think some diluted bleach in water at a normal temp outside would be an issue.

You just do not want to be breathing anything in.
Steam, got it, like for real!
I'm hoping since the rock was in the dark in my covered brute for 10 weeks that the levels of whatever it had would be diminished? I had previously bleached rock w/o hot water so I didn't think about that portion of the program! I just added hot water cause I read it somewhere and then bleach and then put the lid on?! Kind of a set it and forget it method?

Attachments

• 20220817_213014.jpg
    20220817_213014.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 14
Back