friend or foe?

Ron Hatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This critter has showed up in my tank. It likes to hide in the sand and has a suction cup like a snail. It has a hard shell and is fairly flat. Well I guess it won't let me add a pictures yet. but it's oval about ½" X ¼" I saw it climbing up the glass couple of weeks ago today I drug it up out of the sand and took some pictures. Kind of reminds me of a leach on the bottom but the top is a hard shell. The top is in the shape of a low dome. I'll supply pictures when I get approved as a member. It so far doesn't seem to be doing anything negative and I have only seen the one.

IMG_5870 2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ron Hatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And welcome to R2R!!
Hmm I guess I need to hit reply. Sorry. Thank you for your comment, I think it is that snail. Also I just put an Urchin in my tank yesterday and today it's no where to be seen. They don't climb out do they? I have looked all over the floor and in my return and sump. I have no clue.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I guess I need to hit reply. Sorry. Thank you for your comment, I think it is that snail. Also I just put an Urchin in my tank yesterday and today it's no where to be seen. They don't climb out do they? I have looked all over the floor and in my return and sump. I have no clue.
its probably wedged into a crevice somewhere.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a type of limpet. Urchins are nocturnal. If you want to find them you will need to look at your tank in the dark. Some will move about in the day, but very rarely.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome Ron ,we love beginner salt keepers. I think it's a limpet also

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the top of the creature. If it's got a single, hard, volcano-shaped shell, then it's probably a limpet. If its shell is segmented, and more leathery-feeling, then it'll be a chiton. Both are good cleaner-uppers most of the time, but some limpets can nibble on SPS, from what I've read.

Welcome to Reef2Reef - hope you find it helpful and enjoyable!

~Bruce

OP
OP
R

Ron Hatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies! We are down in San Carlos Mexico for the week, enjoying a little scuba diving on the Sea of Cortez , and recreation for our aniversary.

rmoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell you exactly what it is but not something that I'd be worried about. As far as the urchin goes, lots of things tend to disappear in reef tanks only to pop back up outta no where. I'm sure he's fat and happy inside the rockwork somewhere or you'll end up finding his empty shell at some point.

Welcome and good luck with your tank!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second that. Put a yellow watchman goby in the tank saw it for two days than it vanished. Four months later it's in a corner under the rock work fat and happy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back