Fritz's RPM reef salt low dKH

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy enough though.

Just use another internal pump(mj1200 would work), and set the reactor with sediment filter on the side of the barrel. When done mixing and clearing, just remove it.

Yes BRS only uses theirs when sending water to the tanks, but my idea after I saw that was why can't I run it when mixing, and clean up my mixing barrels. Low and behold, it work's great!

Caveat though, with my pump being so large, I only divert a small amount of water through the filter, otherwise it's too much head pressure for the pump(1/2" pipe), and causes it to heat up significantly causing my water to reach temps of 90 degrees. SO the large pipe you see in my pics, is the main water back to the barrel, and only a small 1/2" pipe is diverted to the filter.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re another person stated no heating. So you don’t put a heater in the mixing bucket to heat up the freshly mixed water to match the tank temp? It can be off 10-15 degree.
Even when i do large water changes i dont heat. Ive seen my display drop a few degrees. Maybe even 5. But its very temporary, and ive never noticed an issue.
When i frag coral, i keep an unheated bucket of old tank water for dipping and fast curing glue. Its probably 65 degrees. Never harms the frags.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy enough though.

Just use another internal pump(mj1200 would work), and set the reactor with sediment filter on the side of the barrel. When done mixing and clearing, just remove it.

Yes BRS only uses theirs when sending water to the tanks, but my idea after I saw that was why can't I run it when mixing, and clean up my mixing barrels. Low and behold, it work's great!

Caveat though, with my pump being so large, I only divert a small amount of water through the filter, otherwise it's too much head pressure for the pump(1/2" pipe), and causes it to heat up significantly causing my water to reach temps of 90 degrees. SO the large pipe you see in my pics, is the main water back to the barrel, and only a small 1/2" pipe is diverted to the filter.
Interested, what micron size filter do you use?

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re another person stated no heating. So you don’t put a heater in the mixing bucket to heat up the freshly mixed water to match the tank temp? It can be off 10-15 degree.
I dont re heat leftovers either! I have a line of logic.... i already cooked the food once, and my stomach is gunna heat it to 98...
So, i already have heaters in my tank, and i mixed the salt. Throw it in! (Not a perfect analogy)
I have 2 large heaters, one in sump and other in frag tank, so doing a wc in my display does drop the temp for a bit, but cold water is moved so fast and heats right back up.
My fish seem to like the cold fresh mixed salt water, they swim in the current of it when im filling the tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested, what micron size filter do you use?
On my phone in the car waiting on my wife at the doctor at the moment, but I think if you scroll back a bit I posted photos of my setup.

5 micron I believe they are?

cpsrqfl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first 10 gallons after speaking to the Fritz rep at the Lakeland FL Coral swap. He recommended the Blue based on the parameters I try to maintain. As it stands the salt mixed nicely and clear. The parameters are acceptable to me and I'll see how my LPS like it. I'm still using Reef Crystals in my SPS tank. Time will tell.
How did they compare?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 year into reefing and only ever used Fritz mainly because it’s the cheapest salt I’ve been able to find. I’m using red box which is supposed to have a DKH of like 10 and I did a 90% WC last week because I had to move a QT tank. Anyway, Alk was like 6.7 after the WC (I didn’t test the new water for alk beforehand). My real complaint though is this:
AB88AD30-CEDF-4572-820E-AFE43BF2326D.jpeg

So much residue! This Brute was my brand new one, and I used the salt within a week of mixing. Usually the residue is brown and I have to clean everything after each batch, but this time it’s more of a brown-white.

3896D0AF-0158-414D-A3DC-7ACF8A77A872.jpeg

This is my other new Brute (I was stocking up for a new/used tank that didn’t work out). Notice the residue on the bottom as well as residue almost oily looking on the top (has new mixed water in it in case you can’t tell).

Now I’ve read every salt has some residue but folks also talk about rarely cleaning their mixing containers. How could I not clean this after every use?! I’m really looking for suggestions here. Should I ignore it and not clean, am I doing something wrong in heating the water before mixing (like the box says to do), or would I fare better by trying a different brand?
This is why I'm switching from Fritz salt after just 2-3 boxes.

I'm new to the hobby but I wasn't having any issues with the blue bucket from Red Sea. As soon as I started using Fritz blue box, I get weird crap on the water surface and brown residue in my brute. Additionally I'm getting inconsistent dKH readings.

Why deal with this when the price is the same?

I'm a big fan of Fritz on some of their other products, but not the salt. Also Red Sea gives me a bucket I can use for stuff.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back