Fritz's RPM reef salt low dKH

ChapAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Fritz's RPM Reef Salt for some time, however the last two water changes (15% / 15 gal. water changes performed on a 100 gallon mixed reef) resulted in ultra low Alk (6.4 to be exact / mixed to 1.0255 sg). I did not change any of my procedures for these two water changes. Same mixing container... brought RODI water to proper temperature of 72 degrees F before adding salt per manufacturer's recommendations & calibrated refracrometer just to make sure it was not a salinity issue.

This is not the first time I have experienced low Alk after mixing with this salt.

Frustrated, today I performed the same 15% water change using Aquaforest Reef Salt with the same mixing container, heater, pump, RODI water source, time of day, ambient temperature & poured in salt at approx. same rate, etc. and the batch came out to match manufacturer's specs of 7.8 dKH at 35ppt.

So my question is have others experienced low alk issues with Fritz's RPM...are there known documented QC issues with their salt? If not, then there must have been something I did unknowingly that caused this low Alk issue.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I recall years ago many people were complaining about fritz inconsistencies like this. I'm sure you could find what I mean on google

OP
OP
C

ChapAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not surprised.... There still seems to be quite a few reefers using this salt.... Maybe because it's sold by virtually every LFS. You would think a company like that would correct these issues after several years. I used it because its parameters are close to mine and NSW.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has also been alot of speculation that the livaquaria salt is just rebranded fritz :rolleyes:

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mixed my first 10 gallon batch of Fritz RPM using RO/DI water at 0 TDS.

Here are my parameters using Red Sea test kit and Hanna for ALK

1.026 Salinity
7.9 ALK
8.0 PH
430 PPM Calcium
1480 PPM Mag

OP
OP
C

ChapAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are pretty good. Seems like Alk could be a little higher for a batch mixed to 35ppt. But depends on what you run your Alk at.... so may be fine. Fritz's claims 8 - 9 dKH at 35ppt. Mag seems a little high as well?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are ASSUMING your test kit and test methods are accurate..... potentially blaming the salt when its inaccurate tests.

I attended a Fritz seminar where they said every 20th box is pulled and tested in a QA lab before shipping.

If the QA test is outside a range, they pull the other 19 boxes and recert all 20 boxes after correcting adjustments have been made.

I suggest you take a water sample into a LFS for verification

OP
OP
C

ChapAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for several years with no problems but within last 4 months or so I had issues with low Alk. Which is why I posed the question.

Have since switched to Aquaforest Reef Salt and have been getting more consistent results. Fritz's is a popular salt and many many reefers use it successfully. Maybe it was something in my mixing regimen that was effecting Alk I don't know.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are ASSUMING your test kit and test methods are accurate..... potentially blaming the salt when its inaccurate tests.

I attended a Fritz seminar where they said every 20th box is pulled and tested in a QA lab before shipping.

If the QA test is outside a range, they pull the other 19 boxes and recert all 20 boxes after correcting adjustments have been made.

I suggest you take a water sample into a LFS for

I suggest you take a water sample into a LFS for verification
Not sure if you are referring to my test or just a general response... I've seen you reply to numerous post here with the same information about Fritz and the seminar you attended. I'm using the hanna tester and it's been accurate enough for me. In addition I use Red Sea and Salifert and they have all been close enough to the Hanna as well. I'm content with a 7.9 as I try and keep an 8.0 in my tank.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Fritz's RPM Reef Salt for some time, however the last two water changes (15% / 15 gal. water changes performed on a 100 gallon mixed reef) resulted in ultra low Alk (6.4 to be exact / mixed to 1.0255 sg). I did not change any of my procedures for these two water changes. Same mixing container... brought RODI water to proper temperature of 72 degrees F before adding salt per manufacturer's recommendations & calibrated refracrometer just to make sure it was not a salinity issue.

This is not the first time I have experienced low Alk after mixing with this salt.

Frustrated, today I performed the same 15% water change using Aquaforest Reef Salt with the same mixing container, heater, pump, RODI water source, time of day, ambient temperature & poured in salt at approx. same rate, etc. and the batch came out to match manufacturer's specs of 7.8 dKH at 35ppt.

So my question is have others experienced low alk issues with Fritz's RPM...are there known documented QC issues with their salt? If not, then there must have been something I did unknowingly that caused this low Alk issue.
FYI, aquaforest is tested 3 times/batch for qc.
This doesn't necessarily make it better, but at least conforms to their standards.
Also synthetic.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using fritz because each batch I got was different alk. I had one testing in the 10s and another in the 7s. I couldn’t figure out at first what was wrong with my tank. Got an alk test kit and found my alk was bouncing then tested my rodi water which was stable then with mixed salt and my two boxes both were different. So back to IO I went and have had no issues since.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first 10 gallons after speaking to the Fritz rep at the Lakeland FL Coral swap. He recommended the Blue based on the parameters I try to maintain. As it stands the salt mixed nicely and clear. The parameters are acceptable to me and I'll see how my LPS like it. I'm still using Reef Crystals in my SPS tank. Time will tell.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first 10 gallons after speaking to the Fritz rep at the Lakeland FL Coral swap. He recommended the Blue based on the parameters I try to maintain. As it stands the salt mixed nicely and clear. The parameters are acceptable to me and I'll see how my LPS like it. I'm still using Reef Crystals in my SPS tank. Time will tell.
For me 10 gallons translates to about 15%. Its a 60 cube with a fair amount of rock plus the sump

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I got away from fritz also...plus my LF s was using their salt for a few of their tanks and notice this as well and had some major issues with tanks crashes...

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not hyping Fritz but I use it. I chose it because my two privately owned LFS use Fritz (or so they say). I haven't had any problems in my mostly soft coral tank.

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz ruined a YouTuber's 500g tank, they sent a rep around to intimidste him also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back