From Catastrophe to Creation: 300g Glass Cages "The Fringe"

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help w/ Lightning Choices

One of the few changes i will need to make is upgrading my lighting system....

As some of you know - a MH fanboy here....

Starting a new build with the 72"x48"x20" Glass Cages display.... My 48" Giesemann Spectra is not going to cut it.... Feel there is simply no MH equivalent for LED currently, perhaps with a single exception....

I'm in discussion stages with James @Orphek on the "new" Amazonas 960. Will need 2 fixtures to cover my SPS dominated display... fully controllable, fully customizable, single-point light source, UV-ish offering, with less heat added directly to the tank. Will cost about the same price as the 4x250w Halide retrofit Hamilton system + 6xOR120 bars i was planning initially.....

Would love to get everyone's thoughts on this option.....

.... or do i go with the Hamilton MH + OR2 setup? I am building the system with sharp focus on reliability, and minimal maintenance...

For your reading pleasure....

Nate, I'm really enjoying the tank build so far. I think this is going to be a great size for your upgrade!

One thing I like to think of in large aquariums with regards to lighting is 1. what will your rock structure be like and 2. where do you plan on having different corals growing? These two questions really help me to limit lighting to only the most important areas of the tank. If you have large spaces of sand for swimming fish these areas don't technically need to have the same amount of PAR as where the corals will be growing (unless you plan to do other photosynthetic organisms there like clams, gorgonians, seagrass, etc.). Centering the highest PAR around where coral growth will be can help to alleviate how much lighting you have and cost, plus you can always add LED bars/T5s later if you feel certain areas need more light. Hope this helps some!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - I finally gave Joe the final approval on the drawing. Only 4-5 weeks out - despite the all the COVID stuff going on.... Getting very excited!! :)

92ACC49E-7D49-457F-8996-81F8C967332F.jpeg
@naterealbig, here are some fresh pictures of your Glass Cages build below. We are honored to build this for you. Looks incredible. Great design you created!
IMG_1152.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg IMG_1154.jpeg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure to go pick up your tank if you can. The Glass Cages facility is really cool, and Joe is eager to show people around.

I've got folks in the Atlanta, and once we are over the hump, I will travel that way periodically for work. I would love to come by and meet everyone face-to-face. #feelsgoodmang

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@naterealbig.... beautiful design you selected. I texted you some pictures this evening. Looks incredible. The Glass Cages team did a great job again. I am so proud of them! Thanks for selecting us this cool build. We are honored.

Thank you so much for this Joe - being able to see the tank definitely adds a different element of suspense! It is a work of art - thank you for giving us a sneak-peek!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dude this is going to be epic! I am a huge fan of peninsula tanks.
are thy doing the stand as well?

Thank you for the kind words! I have a couple surprises in-store (nothing that most haven't seen before - but definitely some elements that will set this system apart). If I had not built an oversized stand for my last tank (that fits perfectly with this display's dimensions) I definitely would have contracted Glass Cages to build it. My goal will be to post pics or vids with each update. I really am getting excited now! More to come soon!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nate, I'm really enjoying the tank build so far. I think this is going to be a great size for your upgrade!

Thank you @Sltloser for the kind words! I am ecstatic!

One thing I like to think of in large aquariums with regards to lighting is 1. what will your rock structure be like and 2. where do you plan on having different corals growing? These two questions really help me to limit lighting to only the most important areas of the tank. If you have large spaces of sand for swimming fish these areas don't technically need to have the same amount of PAR as where the corals will be growing (unless you plan to do other photosynthetic organisms there like clams, gorgonians, seagrass, etc.). Centering the highest PAR around where coral growth will be can help to alleviate how much lighting you have and cost, plus you can always add LED bars/T5s later if you feel certain areas need more light. Hope this helps some!

Very, very true. I am planning a very open aquascape - just a few structures, and lots and lots of swimming room. I will be focusing on SPS, and leaning towards a "real reef" look with regards to lighting. You bring up a great point with being able to focus some of the light - I will keep this in mind as I am putting things together. Thank you for your thoughts and feedback!

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe I love it!! How did you get it knocked out so quick??? I'm loving the white overflow. This looks SUPER sharp!

How I'm feeling right now....

(click)
tumblr_75d9c57a6f47f31aff8387c3c9d6f2ee_8dffa7c0_400.gif
we are operating on a 23 business day build time like clock work here at Glass Cages. Some a little sooner and some a few days longer. Few means a week or less. We believe in process. Measurable processes with predictable outcomes. enough operations talk, your tank looks great!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Sltloser for the kind words! I am ecstatic!

Very, very true. I am planning a very open aquascape - just a few structures, and lots and lots of swimming room. I will be focusing on SPS, and leaning towards a "real reef" look with regards to lighting. You bring up a great point with being able to focus some of the light - I will keep this in mind as I am putting things together. Thank you for your thoughts and feedback!

No problem, I'm always happy to help where I can!

A side note on rock/coral and the "real reef" look you want to achieve. I try to advise other aquarists to keep large amounts of both horizontal and vertical space open for coral growth. Often times I see people put rock structure close to the top of the aquarium (or to the glass), a few years down the road as corals grow out some get so big the tips are at the top of the water and it needs to be trimmed back consistently to cut back on shading, inhibiting water movement, etc.

As far as coral colonies go I would try to keep in mind the size of future colonies, many will easily take up 8" cubed spaces. As you add coral to the tank give them a little extra breathing room to become beautiful mature colonies like you would see diving the reef.

I guess the shortened version is to try to have a vision of what you want the reef to look like in 2-5 years and plan for that. Even if it makes things look more barren than you would like when it's first set up.

Sorry for the book! I'm excited to follow along with all of your progress.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welp. Been dying to update that I got a text from @Joe Glass Cages last Wednesday letting me know the tank is ready to ship!!!! I've been super-busy with work the last few days, and spent yesterday in Kissimmee installing a new pool pump for my mom. Finished product!

FE6CAAC8-D87B-43A7-8481-453B2E72162D.jpeg

125661CB-A4E7-4375-8F3E-1D0874FBE58D.jpeg

A86EF457-6CED-42A4-97BF-50605931D605.jpeg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp. Been dying to update that I got a text from @Joe Glass Cages last Wednesday letting me know the tank is ready to ship!!!! I've been super-busy with work the last few days, and spent yesterday in Kissimmee installing a new pool pump for my mom. Finished product!

dang that is a beauty!
what is the hole on the other end for again? is that the return?

can you filler her up when you get it or do you have to wait for a few weeks to make sure the silicone is 100% cured?

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 300 from Joe last week. He was painting a door and trying to eat a couple cheeseburgers but took my call. I think he billed me for the cheeseburgers! Hopefully the quality follows the good experience I had with Joe.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 300 from Joe last week. He was painting a door and trying to eat a couple cheeseburgers but took my call. I think he billed me for the cheeseburgers! Hopefully the quality follows the good experience I had with Joe.
oh, that made me laugh @Jerry Barnes. however those are true events. My daughter keeping me fueled up. Yes, I will ship you your hamburgers. hahaha.

Truly our pleasure to server this community. Looking forward to building your tank as well. Thanks for inviting us into your journey.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang that is a beauty!

Thank you! I am very excited and proud.... Let's see if I can get this thing onto the stand without breaking it before I celebrate!

what is the hole on the other end for again? is that the return?

Yep!

can you filler her up when you get it or do you have to wait for a few weeks to make sure the silicone is 100% cured?

I'm not certain, although the last 2 tanks I purchased from GC required ~ 1 week of wait-time. This will be good for me, as it will prevent me from rushing to complete.....

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is great news! LOL - I can only imagine Joe is a very busy man! I am certain you will not just be "satisfied" - but impressed with the work! Post up a link to your build thread when you start it, and thanks for stopping in!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry to hear about the tank during the move Nate but holy smokes that new glass box is S T U N N I N G !!!! Can't wait to watch this one grow :D :D

Hey Dom - thank you for the thoughtful response, and for stopping by. I got goosebumps when Joe texted me the completed pictures. I'm in a home now, so no plans to move for a long while.... will be plenty of time for this one to cook. Take care!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain, although the last 2 tanks I purchased from GC required ~ 1 week of wait-time. This will be good for me, as it will prevent me from rushing to complete.....
[/QUOTE]

yeah I would wait a cpl week just to be on the safe side. that will give you time to time to get the stand in place and aqua scape a few tries. if you are like me it takes a few times.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back