From FreshWater to SaltWater Tank

saulofaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!
I am starting my game on SaltWater.
I do have a good experience of years with heavily planted tank and that have inspired me to move to SaltWater tank where I can mainly work with Corals, cleaner crew and probably a pair of clown fish.
Consequently to my desire, I was lucky enough to find someone selling a Fluval Evo 13.5 already cycled (2 yes) with Fluval Skimmer, heater and Rocks. As extra the seller has provided me with plenty of Chaeto in the refugium chamber and Pulsing Xenia who has shown good signs so far this past 2 days that the tank has been set up. He has delivered to me the tank with the water that the tank was running on, I only had to prepare a little more water to add to the tank to the correct level. (RO/DI, yes).

What is next on my plans!

Before I start to add anything I would like to get a better understanding of the chemistry, Coral feeding and water tests for SaltWater.
I see that API has a Master Test Kit for Saltwater just like they have for FreshWater. Is that worth the money? 47$ CAD (Amazon).
Will that provide me all the reading that I need to verify the water parameters for Corals and other inhabitants?

Let me know what would you suggest.

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif

#WelcometoR2R

Check out these threads here, lots of good info for you ;)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Sounds like you got a good buy. Just keep tabs on xenia. Sometimes considered a pest due to the way it spreads.

I use API and salifert. Find API test kits quick and easy to use. Salifert is often the go to choice for reefkeeping mind so one to consider.
Good luck with reefing.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction - we’re glad you’re here!

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Adventure is just starting. while I still have freshwater, I added the saltwater side in 89'. I have had this paticular setup since around 95' to date. A CC will help you along the way. ha ha ( WELCOME to Reef 2 Reef ) There is no such thing as a real dumb question. ha ha

old pic of my 75g Tank.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not to start a debate But API kits are Very easy to use and reasonably priced, However API kiys have been less than reliable and I caution you to spend the extra on kits such as Elos, Salifert or Red Sea

OP
OP
S

saulofaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to start a debate But API kits are Very easy to use and reasonably priced, However API kiys have been less than reliable and I caution you to spend the extra on kits such as Elos, Salifert or Red Sea
Yeap. that is my point on questioning of that is a good start point.
I know that for freshwater tanks they are "OK" but there is not a lot to monitor. Practically the plants behaviors will tell you what to do next.
Now on SaltWater I will have no guidance from the environment per say to narrow down the initial issues that I may face. So a reliable test kit would be a start point at least.

Back