34, 90 and now a 40, what a story.

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the store to get a few turbos and came home with more. I have been considering trying this for a few month and wouldn’t pull the trigger. Went to the store and they had probably 40 green chromis, so I broke and brought home 6. I hope this goes well.

58864A40-A949-4281-80DB-7941B22C7E8B.jpeg
Congrats on the new fish! I hope it goes well.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny was one of the first saltwater fish I bought. He’s been with me since the 12 gallon days. He’s still one of my favorites and I hope he sticks around for a long time. Just random thought this morning after I saw him chilling in his favorite spot.

3544DDA9-1E89-49C8-818E-CE541E20D81C.jpeg

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was playing with slow mo on the phone and wanted to catch a cool video of the torch moving in the flow. Instead I caught a slow mo my female clown picking on the little male. She ins't overly aggressive toward him, so this is kind of rare and I think mostly because I was close to glass and staring at their spot.

***edit, I was trying to add a video of it but can figure out how without youtube.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was playing with slow mo on the phone and wanted to catch a cool video of the torch moving in the flow. Instead I caught a slow mo my female clown picking on the little male. She ins't overly aggressive toward him, so this is kind of rare and I think mostly because I was close to glass and staring at their spot.

***edit, I was trying to add a video of it but can figure out how without youtube.
YouTube is the way to go

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I’d update. The algae problem as been greatly improved, I still have some but after 5 siphon sessions it’s doing good. I got my po4 down and the algae doesn’t seem to be spreading any more. I was running my GFO with my carbon because I needed to get it down. But my new reactorn is here so I can seperate.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order with @PacificEastAquaculture for a maxima clam. I’ve done tons of reading on R2R. Super excited to finally add one, any last min tips before it gets here. Also first time ordering from pacific east, looking forward to doing business with a new company.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning! WARNING! W A R N I N G!
I am now following along. Haven't read the full thread yet but will do so when I can.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning! WARNING! W A R N I N G!
I am now following along. Haven't read the full thread yet but will do so when I can.
Uh oh, things just got more exciting in this build. Welcome aboard, guess I will need to update more often now. @crusso1993, do you have a build thread?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh, things just got more exciting in this build. Welcome aboard, guess I will need to update more often now. @crusso1993, do you have a build thread?

Hey, thanks for asking!
Are you sitting down? If not, please find a chair.
I do not have a build thread. The reason I have no build thread is because I do not have a reef/SW tank set up. Can you believe that crapolla? Long story = short story = I was planning on sitting up a large system when I signed up for this site. Shortly thereafter I had a couple of big setbacks in-a-row and haven't caught up. Frankly, right now, I don't have any idea when I will.
So, it's no reef for now. I did, however, keep/build reef tanks for over 20 years. I also had a business in which I set up and maintained reefs and FOWLRs for clients. Mostly was B to B but I also handled a few home systems for people. I loved it and in 1996 started making plans for a SW store. I spent 6 months researching, lining up vendors, suppliers, found a venue, designed the entire layout including plumbing and all that goes with opening a store. At the time, I would have been one of the largest stores in the country with a total of 62,000 gallons. Anyway, due to mostly fear of putting everything on the line, I never pulled the trigger. Got out of the hobby after my divorce in 2005.
Well, anyway, we do have a 55 gal FW. It's a semi-planted tank and I set it up for my wife. More on this at some other time.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for asking!
Are you sitting down? If not, please find a chair.
I do not have a build thread. The reason I have no build thread is because I do not have a reef/SW tank set up. Can you believe that crapolla? Long story = short story = I was planning on sitting up a large system when I signed up for this site. Shortly thereafter I had a couple of big setbacks in-a-row and haven't caught up. Frankly, right now, I don't have any idea when I will.
So, it's no reef for now. I did, however, keep/build reef tanks for over 20 years. I also had a business in which I set up and maintained reefs and FOWLRs for clients. Mostly was B to B but I also handled a few home systems for people. I loved it and in 1996 started making plans for a SW store. I spent 6 months researching, lining up vendors, suppliers, found a venue, designed the entire layout including plumbing and all that goes with opening a store. At the time, I would have been one of the largest stores in the country with a total of 62,000 gallons. Anyway, due to mostly fear of putting everything on the line, I never pulled the trigger. Got out of the hobby after my divorce in 2005.
Well, anyway, we do have a 55 gal FW. It's a semi-planted tank and I set it up for my wife. More on this at some other time.
That's ok, when you do put together another tank I feel it will be one heck of a tank. Still glad you are around to help out the ones that do. I love a FW planted, feel free to drop some pics on this thread to show it off. I will continue to have FW planted in my life, i think I will do one at the office. I wanted to go reef but planted just makes more sense on a tank you can baby sit all the time.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ok, when you do put together another tank I feel it will be one heck of a tank. Still glad you are around to help out the ones that do. I love a FW planted, feel free to drop some pics on this thread to show it off. I will continue to have FW planted in my life, i think I will do one at the office. I wanted to go reef but planted just makes more sense on a tank you can baby sit all the time.

You may laugh but I knew exactly jackdiddlysquat about FW tanks. I have learned immensely these past few months. Another thing that's going to blow your mind; I do not have a RODI system. However, that will be remedied, in short order, because the city where we live is constantly jacking with the water. Needless to say, I wouldn't give a glass of it to anyone. Well, maybe that @dantimdad guy! Ha!

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may laugh but I knew exactly jackdiddlysquat about FW tanks. I have learned immensely these past few months. Another thing that's going to blow your mind; I do not have a RODI system. However, that will be remedied, in short order, because the city where we live is constantly jacking with the water. Needless to say, I wouldn't give a glass of it to anyone. Well, maybe that @dantimdad guy! Ha!
If all your doing is Freshwater then the no RODI doesn't surprise me. We have awful water here and I use tap on my FW 180. Granted that is a fish only and not a plated. With a planted I still don't use the DI just the RO. You want the nutrients in the planted tanks, although not all of our 1200 tds worth of nutrients.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your doing is Freshwater then the no RODI doesn't surprise me. We have awful water here and I use tap on my FW 180. Granted that is a fish only and not a plated. With a planted I still don't use the DI just the RO. You want the nutrients in the planted tanks, although not all of our 1200 tds worth of nutrients.

I think for the price difference between a small RO or RODI, I'm going to go RODI. I understand the nutrients part of the equation but would prefer to know what I'm dosing and when especially given the randomness of the nutrients in our tap water. The fluctuation is really bad and sometimes the output is out of hand. In addition to being a psychologist, my wife is a dental hygienist. The office, where she works, uses a distillery (water and not the good kind) and their distillery has been shutting down lately because of the incoming water being so bad. As a matter of fact, it got so bad a couple weeks ago that the city sent out a message to businesses apologizing for the inconvenience. From what I understand now, it's been a problem here for quite some time.
Anyway, @dantimdad recently picked up a RO Buddie with a booster pump and has seen it produce 60gpd with very efficient results. I had been scoping them out and after his findings will be getting the same set up. Can't beat the price either. Something to noodle on for ya!

https://www.chewy.com/aquatic-life-...qXpduuswEFyqd9p7f_pwjVDztuWUHlnQaAiGYEALw_wcB

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for the price difference between a small RO or RODI, I'm going to go RODI. I understand the nutrients part of the equation but would prefer to know what I'm dosing and when especially given the randomness of the nutrients in our tap water. The fluctuation is really bad and sometimes the output is out of hand. In addition to being a psychologist, my wife is a dental hygienist. The office, where she works, uses a distillery (water and not the good kind) and their distillery has been shutting down lately because of the incoming water being so bad. As a matter of fact, it got so bad a couple weeks ago that the city sent out a message to businesses apologizing for the inconvenience. From what I understand now, it's been a problem here for quite some time.
Anyway, @dantimdad recently picked up a RO Buddie with a booster pump and has seen it produce 60gpd with very efficient results. I had been scoping them out and after his findings will be getting the same set up. Can't beat the price either. Something to noodle on for ya!

https://www.chewy.com/aquatic-life-...qXpduuswEFyqd9p7f_pwjVDztuWUHlnQaAiGYEALw_wcB
Yeah I saw where he got that system and I've seen some others with it. Makes me a little sick knowing what I paid for my RODI system, and how massive it is compared. I guess approaching the planted like a reef works just as well, basically stripping the water and adding back what we want in there. Our water is bad but it's consistent at least.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back