Frosty Fish Feast: Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

• Yes, I regularly feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 534 82.0%
  • Yes, I occasionally feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 72 11.1%
  • Yes, I rarely feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 28 4.3%
  • No, I do not feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 16 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here, but I wouldn't use tank water. I would use the cleanest (Sterile) containers you can and use the cleanest RODI or RO water. (I've done this with RO water to no ill effects yet.) I throw the containers in the fridge. The reason is tank water contains billions of bacteria that are used to eating meat. I wouldn't do that as it will spoil the food. You can certainly do this, just make sure all the equipment is as sterile as possible and use sterile water.

I think the idea is great, it's what I do for my fish keepers when I'm going on vacation.

I appreciate the insight.. I have been feeding this way as long as I have had my reef so a few years now. Never once had any issues with sickness, deaths, or water parameters going awry.

I get what you mean about the bacteria, and yes, I am sure some of the food gets broken down by the last day.

I mix up a half pint mason jar with about 40 cubes, just enough tank water to dissolve the cubes and then the whole jar goes in the fridge immediately to defrost. The low temp of the fridge I am certain keeps the bacteria at bay and prevents spoilage.

The nose knows. If it smells even a tiny bit off, I toss it out and start fresh. That has only happened once.

Now, having said that, here is a thought that I personally believe has more merit than the bacteria issue. If you have any illness in the tank, (ich, velvet, Aiptasia, other algae issues) and you use the tank water to defrost the food and feed several tanks from the same batch, you can (and in my case) will spread these problems to other tanks. I have Aiptasia in 2 of my tanks now and I am sure it is because of the food.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them frozen artemia day and sometimes other thypes of frozen food.

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frosty Fish Feast: Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

There are many ways to add food to your reef tank including pellets, flakes, live, frozen, liquid, and more. Whether you make your own frozen food or buy it pre-made, please let us know if frozen food is one of the food options that you add to your tank. Additionally, please share any tips that you have discovered for the best frozen blends, ways to feed, times to feed, and any other key details that may be useful to others in the community.

Pro Tip: Consider using a feed mode when adding food to your tank. However, feed mode doesn’t have to mean turning all the pumps off. Maintaining a small bit of flow can keep the food in the water column without the food flowing quickly to the drain.

CJO_FrozenFood.jpeg

Photo by @CJO

IMG_1643-L.jpg

Image via @WVNed

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
LRS Nano Frenzy for the win!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back