FrostyNipps Biocube 32 nano build

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to document my time I spend with my Biocube 32 at my home. I have very little time for my self as I take care of my dad at his place, He has alztimers and can't walk on his own. I got the biocube the end of April. I set it up a week later when I ordered some clown fish and an LTA 10 weeks ago , got live rock a few weeks later and as soon as I get a camera ill post picts. I think I'm in the ugly stage. I use brightwell aquatics products and tap water don't have a Mg or alk test yet but all the others. I will be up grading to a Kessil next month with reflector 35, wifi doggle and making a cover so the fish stay in. I am running an increw 100w light untill then a sea clone protein skimmer running cup off wile dosing vibrant, upgraded intake pump to the recommend sicce 1.5, and an intank water director without the basket it forces the water to flow harder water in tank raises up to the rim. I have a filter pad, Algone pouch, chemipure elite 11.4 oz, brightwell aquatics biocubes(removes ammonia), no3 cubes (removes nitrates), a layer of bio balls in a bag, a mesh bag of frag size dry rock. water parameters are at normal levels after sand vacuuming, most of the algae is dead, my live rock is covered in Coraline algae so I must be doing something right. I'm going to attend unca Asheville to become a marine biologist and I've all ready bought a nice microscope. I think I'm using to much chemipure elite posphate is 0.25 also nitrates are 0. I'm using aquaCalculator and it says its low is the only reason I know . If you know what I'm doing wrong please let me know.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the system is 8-10 weeks mature.
Doing wrong? I see nothing actually wrong in a sense but I get the feeling your throwing everything you can all at once.

The foundation of systems is it biological diversity. Bacteria comes in stages, some of the bad guys like to show up and some of the best bacteria will not be in numbers until say 7-9 months.

Since your taking a career direction, I would do only three things right now.

Invest in a refractometer, ( you may already have some of these) it’s 35ppt calibration solution, Alk and Phosphorus Checkers (Hanna) MG, CA,Nitrate can be Salifert.

Do a 10% water change, no need to heat it, every week with a salt that matches those numbers you run above in terms of Alk, MG, CA

Put each of the 8 parameters in the range, test weekly, record findings, correct imbalances and look for ways to reduce the daily flux of each one.

Always, always start with 0TDS RODI water. TAP water works for some time, but in the end, the things we don’t want in our water like heavy metals build up and make pest algae happy, and corals very unhappy.

When you have complete control of your water, everything in this hobby becomes so much easier.

Enjoy….

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's an easy to use 0TDS RODI water system or one that's cost efficient there are so many choices on amazon I need one I can hook to my sink or washing machine and how do I find out if I need a pre filter

jpark457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a liquagen that I got from Amazon and it’s pretty easy to use. Comes w a hookup to garden hose or utility faucet but I’m pretty sure you can just order one that could connect to basically any faucet that has threads and the fittings are push to connect apart from the source water in.

I haven’t used anything else but I liked that these guys are good about customer support. Mine came missing a piece and they mailed it out with almost not effort on my part after I contacted them. I’m pretty sure they would trouble shoot any setup issues by you sending pics in.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first .
welcome ….

next as mentioned above , tap water might be working for now . But not knowing if it what else is in the water that might contribute to problems later is a large risk of unknown .

some have been successful but it’s a risk .

pick up a few test kits . They’re cheap and worth knowing what each parameters value is .

do not dose anything you haven’t tested the need for .
and correct one issue with one step at a time . Give it time to settle before attempting another

take your time and enjoy …

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a RO(+DI) buddy and it made a big difference in the battle with the uglies. I bought a Kessil 360x this morning and hope to hang it from the ceiling when it comes. I had to save for months to get it. Instead of buying the wifi I bought the RODI system this month. I got the 35 reflector so my lil APT isn't flooded with light.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a RO(+DI) buddy and it made a big difference in the battle with the uglies. I bought a Kessil 360x this morning and hope to hang it from the ceiling when it comes. I had to save for months to get it. Instead of buying the wifi I bought the RODI system this month. I got the 35 reflector so my lil APT isn't flooded with light.
Flooding small apartments with light is better than water lol

imagine ….. I live in a small apartment , with a 230 gal in the living room right beside my couch ,

good thing I’m not home often when the lights are on to worry
About light glare

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frostynipps ...

This is the RODI system I have now. It has served me well. Tee'd off the cold water supply in the laundry nook and routed into a closet on the adjacent wall.

This has worked well for me since I got it. I am however considering an upgrade to this model:

Here is why: The first one produces perfect 0tds water and I have had zero problems with the water it produces. That said, it eats DI resin for breakfast!! I have gone through at least a dozen DI cartridges in the short time I have had it.

The 2nd one, while $200 more expensive, has dual DI resin chambers. Also includes an inline TDS meter as well as an inline pressure gauge. Pressure is important to maintaining a healthy RO membrane. The Dual DI resin chambers allows for easier changing and higher quality control. A dirty DI resin will allow ammonia and silicates into your final product. BOTH of these are negative to a stable reef system.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frostynipps ...

This is the RODI system I have now. It has served me well. Tee'd off the cold water supply in the laundry nook and routed into a closet on the adjacent wall.

This has worked well for me since I got it. I am however considering an upgrade to this model:

Here is why: The first one produces perfect 0tds water and I have had zero problems with the water it produces. That said, it eats DI resin for breakfast!! I have gone through at least a dozen DI cartridges in the short time I have had it.

The 2nd one, while $200 more expensive, has dual DI resin chambers. Also includes an inline TDS meter as well as an inline pressure gauge. Pressure is important to maintaining a healthy RO membrane. The Dual DI resin chambers allows for easier changing and higher quality control. A dirty DI resin will allow ammonia and silicates into your final product. BOTH of these are negative to a stable reef system.

Depending on the water source , di resin consumption will vary from time to time .

I have a spectipure system , I bought used .
the cartridges are reasonably cheap , and the di resin cartridge is refillable

I buy di resin bulk and change when needed .
Most resin changes colour when it’s exhausted
In the early spring after the snow melts I use more resin .
But apparently it could be from excess minerals In ground water that’s not removed via municipal water treatment facilities .

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the water source , di resin consumption will vary from time to time .

I have a spectipure system , I bought used .
the cartridges are reasonably cheap , and the di resin cartridge is refillable

I buy di resin bulk and change when needed .
Most resin changes colour when it’s exhausted
In the early spring after the snow melts I use more resin .
But apparently it could be from excess minerals In ground water that’s not removed via municipal water treatment facilities .
I agree with what you are saying..

My observation of my own system is that I am burning through DI resin at a very high rate. I honestly believe that a dual DI system provides a "safety net" that allows for maximum consumption of the resin without the unintended result of allowing material into the final product that is unwanted.

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ordering a RO buddy booster pump to go with the $60 RO buddy +DI also plan to upgrade the RODI system when this one runs out. hopefully I don't flood the APT with water almost did last night I need a holding barrel and auto shutoff set up

OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I add to make my tank better?
Im thinking about getting a coralife super skimmer (up to 60g) to replace the sea clone (up to 90g) its covered in algae.
Before the cryno outbreak I WAS using tap water my rocks were COVERED in Coraline algae. Ive been running blues and was dosing H202 I did a major cleaning and replaced most of the tap with RODI water.

IMG_20210815_205733628.jpg IMG_20210815_205804719.jpg IMG_20210815_205719424.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frostynipps

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
I got a super skimmer that was "used" from amazon for a great price. The box was ugly were it had been wet and when it dried the seam glue had had stoped working every thing was perfect in side wrapped in original packaging with out the tape even being broken.

Who collects skimmer boxes from coralife any way?

Also the kessil and rodi water have worked wonders no algae problem any more but it started when I reduced the amount of chemiclean elite in my filter and my female clown is obsessed when I vacuum now because I got to close to her nem one time and she bite me like 10 times witch never happens anymore.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
I got a super skimmer that was "used" from amazon for a great price. The box was ugly were it had been wet and when it dried the seam glue had had stoped working every thing was perfect in side wrapped in original packaging with out the tape even being broken.

Who collects skimmer boxes from coralife any way?

Also the kessil and rodi water have worked wonders no algae problem any more but it started when I reduced the amount of chemiclean elite in my filter and my female clown is obsessed when I vacuum now because I got to close to her nem one time and she bite me like 10 times witch never happens anymore.
Ouch I hate it when they nip

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back